Page 4 of 6 First 123456 Last
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    40
    Style
    Jiu Jitsu/Kick Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Possibly that Brock is just simply the better fighter and remembered not to get caught in a submission or kneebar.

  2. #32
    Mtripp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,277
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    It doesn't help when your giant-sized opponent has access to the same training that you do.

    Do you think Royce would have subbed Severn if Dan had even white belt exposure to the triangle?

    There is a reason why there are weight classes. That fact alone answers your question.

    Extra credit: Go back and look at the historical cycle of giant freak athletes (mostly freestyle wrestlers) shaking up the sport, and eventually getting dethroned. Take a look at who beat them (and who didn't), and I bet you can predict how Brock will rise and fall.
    Which is why Royce ducked the rematch with Severn big time....

  3. #33
    maofas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,971
    Style
    Kenkojuku Karate, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as we're debating Brock and how much is skill vs. being huge, I thought this (his 1999 NCAA final match) might be interesting for some people to see:

    http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/c...s-stephen-neal

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Burnaby B.C.
    Posts
    3,063
    Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an uneducated watcher al I can say is that fght was a big snooze. But he did take his beating like a good sport.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    486
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this thread says more about the shortcomings of Mir than the size v Technique debate.
    Everyone cross trains now, including Brock Lesnar. I heard somewhere he is a blue belt in BJJ which when coupled with his excellent wrestling and strength make for a difficult opponent.

  6. #36
    Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge. Join us... or die
    Gabetuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,295
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    As long as we're debating Brock and how much is skill vs. being huge, I thought this (his 1999 NCAA final match) might be interesting for some people to see:

    http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/c...s-stephen-neal
    To me this is a confirmation that his wrestling was always based more largely around his size and power than his skill. Not to say he doesn't have any wrestling skill, I'm just saying this bout makes it clear which he falls back on in times of desperation. Also, it shows he's always been a **** heel.

    Compare that match with the 1996 Kurt Angle Gold Medal final to see what I was saying about the discrepancy in skill between a collegiate NCAA champ and an Olympian. To me its the same kind of level jump as Highschool Regional Champ to NCAA D1.

    YouTube - Kurt Angle's Olympic Gold Medal Win

    N.B. This is Greco, so obviously a different rule set, but the difference is still plain, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.



  7. #37

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    245
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    As long as we're debating Brock and how much is skill vs. being huge, I thought this (his 1999 NCAA final match) might be interesting for some people to see:

    http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/c...s-stephen-neal
    For those with a wrestling background: at 9:37, Lesnar working his single, whistle blown, out of bounds, does it look like Neal went down by accident or was that intentional?

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    sw va
    Posts
    386
    Style
    bum rush karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Panamaican View Post
    I just wanted to say that I've been reading threads on the same subject over on sherdog and I'm amazed just how much more informative the dicussions are here. But I guess that's why I don't have an account there.
    sherdog posters think Lesnar won because Mir made him mad with his pre-fight criticisms.

    philistines.

  9. #39
    kwoww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley / Rochester
    Posts
    1,984
    Style
    punching bag / crew jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    It doesn't help when your giant-sized opponent has access to the same training that you do.

    Do you think Royce would have subbed Severn if Dan had even white belt exposure to the triangle?

    There is a reason why there are weight classes. That fact alone answers your question.

    Extra credit: Go back and look at the historical cycle of giant freak athletes (mostly freestyle wrestlers) shaking up the sport, and eventually getting dethroned. Take a look at who beat them (and who didn't), and I bet you can predict how Brock will rise and fall.
    Thread shoulda ended here.

  10. #40
    Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge. Join us... or die
    Gabetuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,295
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by capt. moroni View Post
    For those with a wrestling background: at 9:37, Lesnar working his single, whistle blown, out of bounds, does it look like Neal went down by accident or was that intentional?
    Brock shoulder shoves him after the whistle, and he turns in order to not fall backwards into the crowd pit. Dick move, Lesnar. You were pro-wrestling even in college.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.



Page 4 of 6 First 123456 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO