Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 10:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu/Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Possibly that Brock is just simply the better fighter and remembered not to get caught in a submission or kneebar.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    It doesn't help when your giant-sized opponent has access to the same training that you do.

Do you think Royce would have subbed Severn if Dan had even white belt exposure to the triangle?

There is a reason why there are weight classes. That fact alone answers your question.

Extra credit: Go back and look at the historical cycle of giant freak athletes (mostly freestyle wrestlers) shaking up the sport, and eventually getting dethroned. Take a look at who beat them (and who didn't), and I bet you can predict how Brock will rise and fall.
    Which is why Royce ducked the rematch with Severn big time....

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 12:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as we're debating Brock and how much is skill vs. being huge, I thought this (his 1999 NCAA final match) might be interesting for some people to see:

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/c...s-stephen-neal

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 1:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an uneducated watcher al I can say is that fght was a big snooze. But he did take his beating like a good sport.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 9:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this thread says more about the shortcomings of Mir than the size v Technique debate.
    Everyone cross trains now, including Brock Lesnar. I heard somewhere he is a blue belt in BJJ which when coupled with his excellent wrestling and strength make for a difficult opponent.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 9:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    As long as we're debating Brock and how much is skill vs. being huge, I thought this (his 1999 NCAA final match) might be interesting for some people to see:

To me this is a confirmation that his wrestling was always based more largely around his size and power than his skill. Not to say he doesn't have any wrestling skill, I'm just saying this bout makes it clear which he falls back on in times of desperation. Also, it shows he's always been a **** heel.

Compare that match with the 1996 Kurt Angle Gold Medal final to see what I was saying about the discrepancy in skill between a collegiate NCAA champ and an Olympian. To me its the same kind of level jump as Highschool Regional Champ to NCAA D1.

YouTube - Kurt Angle's Olympic Gold Medal Win

N.B. This is Greco, so obviously a different rule set, but the difference is still plain, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 9:28am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post

For those with a wrestling background: at 9:37, Lesnar working his single, whistle blown, out of bounds, does it look like Neal went down by accident or was that intentional?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 10:05am

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Panamaican View Post
    I just wanted to say that I've been reading threads on the same subject over on sherdog and I'm amazed just how much more informative the dicussions are here. But I guess that's why I don't have an account there.
    sherdog posters think Lesnar won because Mir made him mad with his pre-fight criticisms.

philistines.

poser

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 10:11am

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    It doesn't help when your giant-sized opponent has access to the same training that you do.

Do you think Royce would have subbed Severn if Dan had even white belt exposure to the triangle?

There is a reason why there are weight classes. That fact alone answers your question.

Extra credit: Go back and look at the historical cycle of giant freak athletes (mostly freestyle wrestlers) shaking up the sport, and eventually getting dethroned. Take a look at who beat them (and who didn't), and I bet you can predict how Brock will rise and fall.
    Thread shoulda ended here.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 10:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by capt. moroni View Post
    For those with a wrestling background: at 9:37, Lesnar working his single, whistle blown, out of bounds, does it look like Neal went down by accident or was that intentional?
    Brock shoulder shoves him after the whistle, and he turns in order to not fall backwards into the crowd pit. Dick move, Lesnar. You were pro-wrestling even in college.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast