233355 Bullies, 3720 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 58
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. babo78 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    987

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 8:39am


     Style: Yudo, Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Couture Silvia doesn't have anything to do with this thread. The question is about Size vs BJJ Technique, not Size vs. Inside Boxing Technique, which is what won Couture the fight with Silvia. His ability to box and get inside is also what made his takedowns more effective.
    Actually it does. Jasonbrinn mentions BJJ but his overall post is regarding "bigger/stronger" verses "technique/strategy."

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbrinn View Post
    I think the fight raises some interesting questions and points as to "bigger/stronger" verses "technique/strategy."
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbrinn View Post
    We are told that BJJ and Martial Arts in general give the "smaller/weaker" person the ability to defend themselves against the "bigger/stronger" attacker
    Edit: Note that it's BJJ AND martial arts in general. Not just BJJ or only BJJ. Boxing is martial art and Fedor is Sambo not BJJ.
    Last edited by babo78; 7/16/2009 8:46am at .
  2. Gabetuno is offline
    Gabetuno's Avatar

    Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,295

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 8:47am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah well, he said he took BJJ for 14 years when he hadn't, so this thread is bullshit anyway.

    I concede your point though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.


  3. babo78 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    987

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 8:55am


     Style: Yudo, Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Yeah well, he said he took BJJ for 14 years when he hadn't, so this thread is bullshit anyway.
    I agree with you here. This is more of subtle jab at BJJ in my view as well.
  4. selfcritical is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,428

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 9:19am


     Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brock wins because frank held down a lockdown when a top-flight wrestler was in his halfguard.
  5. meataxe is offline
    meataxe's Avatar

    International Man of Pancakes

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,714

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 9:30am


     Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestling don't get no respect.

    MMA has a long history of wrestlers walking in and wrecking the **** of so-called technical fighters. Maybe wrestling actually has some technique? Or is that too much of a stretch?

    As a tai chi chuan practicioner, I'm one of those guys who should be an armchair windbag and go on about wrestlers not having technique. Wrestling technique is a lot different from what I know, however I can't watch a really good wrestler in MMA without noticing that good wrestlers are doing a lot of the same high-level skills, but just executing them differently.

    Brock Lesnar is not just a wrestler, but an NCAA champion.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire
  6. Rivington is offline
    Rivington's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    4,738

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 9:42am

    supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did Mir win the first time?

    Sounds like we need a rubber match. IN A STEEL CAAAGE...oh wait, they already do that.
  7. capt. moroni is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    245

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 9:45am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Brock wins because frank held down a lockdown when a top-flight wrestler was in his halfguard.
    This.

    Mir killed his own mobility with that Lockdown. It kept Brock from passing, but not much else.
  8. theotherserge is offline
    theotherserge's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North of San Francisco
    Posts
    4,458

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 9:46am

    Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goddamnit, what a stupid thread, is this Sherdog or something?

    Mir lost because he never established any gameplan. Turning face down so a big dude can pound on your face is not jitz. Mir also came into the cage beat up&taped knee, so stupid prep-work. Brock was fresh as a rhino in mating season.

    Size/whatever, wrestling has been around for 6,000 years; if you have size and know how to use it it certaintly helps. The "it's wrestling vs BJJ all over again" assertion is just stupid.

    BJJ is wrestling, just a different emphasis. Hence, no BJJ BB is going to win a NCAA freestyle comp-unless specifically trained for that event. Same goes for a wrestler getting ready for a cage-match.

    Mir lost because he is a one-or-two-trick pony, I've never thought he applied BJJ to the ring in a top-level way.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
  9. atom is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    sw va
    Posts
    386

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 11:35am


     Style: bum rush karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See the "Stephen Kesting on Lesnar/Mir" thread in the Advanced Grappling subforum.
  10. TehDeadlyDimMak is offline
    TehDeadlyDimMak's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,199

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 11:45am


     Style: Sanda, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe View Post
    Wrestling don't get no respect.

    MMA has a long history of wrestlers walking in and wrecking the **** of so-called technical fighters. Maybe wrestling actually has some technique? Or is that too much of a stretch?

    As a tai chi chuan practicioner, I'm one of those guys who should be an armchair windbag and go on about wrestlers not having technique. Wrestling technique is a lot different from what I know, however I can't watch a really good wrestler in MMA without noticing that good wrestlers are doing a lot of the same high-level skills, but just executing them differently.

    Brock Lesnar is not just a wrestler, but an NCAA champion.
    I get this all the time. If I take someone down it's because I'm "stronger than them." If I take down someone noticeably stronger than me it's because Yaweh intervened. People seem to assume takedowns and good top control come from nothing more than muscles and gravity.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.