Posted On:
    7/15/2009 11:05pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Unique shin problem.. never had before

Hey guys
    I've been having this shin problem thats been keeping me from training.
    I've been running for several years for almost every day and I've never had this problem.
    If you run your hand down from your knee and where your shin starts, there is a bump right? Bump of bone. Its right above that. It feels like my bones are bruised or something but I really don't know what it is.

I have these tree trunk tough as nails legs and shins. I can kick the **** out any bag and be fine, and I'm that guy at the gym that you don't want to exchange leg kicks with. So its really annoying that I have this leg injury.

It started when I started adding sprints to my daily 3 mile run. Also, my shoes got old. (actually, its falling apart. Feburary or something I had replaced the soles in to extend its life and now its really beat up.)

About two months ago I started having this tingling feeling in my right upper shin. I didn't think much of it and I kept training on it. Very very slowly, it got worse.
    One day I pressed really hard on it with my thumb to isolate and massage the pain and felt more pain. I stopped running. Its been almost a month I stopped running, except two 1-mile jobs with my girlfriend and the dog.

Its not healing. In fact, it'd feel like its getting better and today it feels worse.

I think I need to stop training completely.
    Last time it got worse was when I was working with my boxing coach. 1.5 hour of pad drills focusing on footwork. And before that was after a hard sparring session. Before that was when I did a one mile run.

Yesterday I ran about 0.5 miles just to keep my legs used to running. I ran on the ball of my foot. I also did some footwork drills on my own.

Today it hurts. Yeah, it seems like I just need to completely rest and refrain from training with my legs at all. But aren't shin splints supposed to be in the lower half of your shins?

I need to drop 13 lbs before mid september so I can make weight, and I really need this leg healed up so I can start running again. Is ANY sort of load-bearing excercise going to make this injury worse? no squats?

Any tips on healing this up? I'm massaging it every day and taking my calcium, vitamin D, glucosemine and MSM supplements on top of a good calorie surplus diet and multivitamins.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 11:15pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get your ass to the doctor.

Serious.

Running in a different position to help alleviate the pain can bring on more problems.

Again

Go get this checked out. You're aggravating the problem with your training regime and it will quite possibly add to your suffering in old age if you don't get help soon.

.....disclaimer...

No medical experience, just lots of pain.......

BTW - on what kind of surface are you running sprints with worn out shoes? hint hint

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 1:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    always on grass or asphalt, but sometimes im forced to run on concrete. thanks HJ

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 11:32am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HJ is right of course. Sports related injuries should be brought up with a sports injury doctor before attempting anything else.

One thing that couldn't hurt is going over your shins with a foam roller.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like a stress fracture. Get to a doc and get an x-ray.

Regardless, get new shoes and get on a bike or into the pool, or kiss whatever you have going in September goodbye.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 12:22pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ice always worked best for me for shin splint. I've never heard of shin splints lasting through a month of rest though. Stress fracture? Just a guess. Hopefully the doc will sort it out.

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 2:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gong Fu San Soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there is any form of discomfort in your legs along the lines of tingling/numbness, you need to see a doctor. It could be a sign of poor circulation, which a classmate of mine suffered a minor heart attack from. In all seriousness, don't try to remedy it, just get it checked out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 12:40pm

Style: BJJ, MT, JJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    after you get it checked out, get new shoes, man. if you run often, you should replace your shoes every 6 months or so. get a cheap pair of addidas or asics running shoes on clearance. if you hunt around, you can find a good pair for $10 or $15 or so.

i really think its the shoes. i had something similar when i played lacrosse. my knees / shins would start hurting just from walking from the locker room to the field. i was fine everywhere else, it was only when i had the cleats on that my shins would kill me.

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 1:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +1 more on the doctor...
    "Shin splints" is a rather vague and antiquated term.
    The aforementioned stress fracture is a possibility for sure.
    A sensitivity to vibration would also point to a fracture.
    Swim laps to drop the weight and stay off the feet as much as possible,
    until you see a doc.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 7:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Old thread, but I found out what the cause of the pain was. I never had the time to see the same doc the number of times necessary to get a diagnosis.

Upon returning to the States this arnis guy told me it is probably a tendon pain, and showed me some stretches to do before and after. He was right, and the stretches did wonders to make it improve. Now it barely hurts, but when it does stretching alleviates it right away.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast