Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 12:20am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the fight does happen, will Carwin be able to avoid Lesnar's takedown? Lesnar knows and understands that at his present skill level, a takedown followed by ground and pound from the top is his best strategy.

So does Carwin have the wrestling chops to stuff Lesnar's takedown and keep the fight standing? I ask because I haven't seen any of his fights.

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 1:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... I miss Gonzaga...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 1:51am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    If the fight does happen, will Carwin be able to avoid Lesnar's takedown? Lesnar knows and understands that at his present skill level, a takedown followed by ground and pound from the top is his best strategy.

So does Carwin have the wrestling chops to stuff Lesnar's takedown and keep the fight standing? I ask because I haven't seen any of his fights.
    Gonzaga managed to take him down on his first attempt. Carwin got back up quickly, but I don't think it bodes well for him against Lesner.

I think some people are overestimating Carwin's size too. Doesn't Lesner have like 35 lbs on him? I'd love to see Lesner get knocked out, but I predict a fight similar to Heath Herring's.

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 6:23am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    He wrestled in college, becoming a two-time NCAA Division II Wrestling National Runner-Up Heavyweight in 1996-7, and the NCAA II Wrestling Heavyweight National Champion in 1999. He was also a two-time All-American in football. Carwin became an engineer out of college and continues to work in that field while pursuing his MMA career. Carwin is also a volunteer wrestling coach for the University of Northern Colorado.
    I honestly don't know what any of this means, but it does say wrestler and champion.

Also, Carwin is 11-0 and no one has even reached the three minute mark with him.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 6:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSphinx View Post
    I honestly don't know what any of this means, but it does say wrestler and champion.
    He was Div II champion while Lesnar was Div I. He would lose a wrestling match, but in all likelihood he's good enough to survive getting taken down and make it back to his feet or to stuff takedowns if he can force a long-range kickboxing match and make Brock shoot from too far out.

I think he can knock Lesnar out, but there's still a question mark over his cardio given how short all his fights have been and he's certainly no genius at defending strikes either, if he gets hit first he could well go down.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 7:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW are those wrestling divisions based on the size of the school, quality of schools team or the quality and success measured for each individual wrestler or something completely different? I'm sort of confused in how that works.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 7:38am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    BTW are those wrestling divisions based on the size of the school, quality of schools team or the quality and success measured for each individual wrestler or something completely different? I'm sort of confused in how that works.
    The Universities are classified by the quality of their programs and they're limited to handing out different numbers of scholarships. The Div I ones generally therefore attract the best athletes.

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 9:52am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    The Universities are classified by the quality of their programs and they're limited to handing out different numbers of scholarships. The Div I ones generally therefore attract the best athletes.
    Thanks for that.

That's a good point about the cardio too. Carwin has very little ring time for so many fights, but Lesnar's already gone the distance once.

God I hope Shane wins against Velasquez so this fight can happen.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 10:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Thanks. That's what I kind of figured out. How does that system react to so called late bloomers? Div 1 schools snatch over the top greats from div 2 schools next year via better scholarships? Or, at least in something like wrestling that just doesn't make colleges / universities that big bucks they'll generally stay in the div 2 school no matter how great they are?

EDIT: Good English once again.. Oh well. I'm just interested in probability of finding excellent, top of the line (even potential Olympians) from div 2.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 2:06pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    After watching Velazquez not even try to submit Kongo and never once try to put the hooks in to secure rear mount on him, I'm not such a big fan of his.

I'm starting to like Carwin though, and I can't wait to see Dos Santos fight again.
    In addition to incredible power, Dos Santos has the luck of a god. Dos Santos by accidental knockout at 1:37 of rd 1 vs brock.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast