Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2010 4:27am

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 02-6611-0142-1 View Post
    UFC 3 owned so hard.
    UFC 3 was the first early UFC I saw. I was only mildly interested in UFC before I learned that it evolved from a style vs. style tournament. Watching this tournament (and then UFC 1, 2 and 4 immediately afterwards) forever changed everything I thought I knew about martial arts and opened my eyes to reality. I loved everything about it and nothing has been quite the same since. The tournament was won by a ninja of all things. Of course he totally ninja'd it by only fighting one fight though. And we saw the first defeat of Royce Gracie by Harold Howard in a whopping 0:00! Harold Howard vs. Roland Payne is still one of my all time favorite fights too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2010 4:31am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another here for UFC2, because it was so fucking brutal and because there was a real clash of styles.

Pat Smith reigning down vicious elbow strikes on Scott Morris
    Johnny Rhodes brutalising Fred Ettish but Fred Ettish gets a cult following afterwards
    Remco Pardoel being surprised that he beat Orlando Weit. “I didn’t expect to win. I thought he was a tough guy”
    Royce Gracie almost tearing off Jason Delucia’s arm

Then we had
    Pat Smith finishing Johnny Rhodes with a standing guillotine
    Royce Gracie proving that BJJ is superior to Judo/JJJ by submitting a much larger grappler in Remco who has since earned his BJJ black Belt

The final was slightly disappointing as Pat Smith tapped as soon as Royce got the mount but maybe you can’t blame him, at that point no one could escape a Gracie mount.

UFC 2 certainly had everything

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2010 6:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, I'm pretty new to the sport, so my picks might seem very pedestrian or dumb, but eh. I didn't see the early UFCs anywhere near the time when they were new, and by the time I watched the first ten or so UFCs, I had already watched a few dozen of the later ones. I think my objectively favorite UFC was 100, but it's not neccesarily because the card was so great, but it was one hell of a show, and I had a ton of friends over as we watched it, and it was just pure entertainment from start to finish.

But, I'd also like to mention UFC 79. I had seen a few MMA events before that, but the sport hadn't really cinched its hold on me until I saw GSP style on Matt Hughes. The entire fight was, to me, jaw-dropping.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 12:37am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Rupture Clothing: American Made MMA Gear and Apparel Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC 1 remains my favorite to this day. Probably because BJJ was such a novelty to televised fighting in the US that the announcers really had no clue what it was and mostly winged it through the entire show :).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 10:06am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC 82 is the 1st UFC I saw is still one of my all time favorites. seeing Anderson, the skinny Brazilian come back from such a shitty round to destroy what looked early on as the stronger bigger wrestler was amazing to me.

I had seen some MMA fights beforehand, but this one was the 1st time I had read up before and was legitimately excited about the outcome. that's the fight that got me hooked on watching MMA and got me back to training MA, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 10:33am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC 34 was my introduction to this fighting stuff called UFC. I had no idea.

Hughes slamming Newton was ridiculous. I thought BJ Penn was the best boxer ever with an 11 sec KO of Caol Uno. Barnett, Mir, Tanner, Couture, Rizzo, and Linland were all on the card. At the time I had no idea who those guys were, but their names stuck in my head and I started searching out older UFC's and getting together with friends for PPVs. Well worth checking out. Also Jens Pulver does commentary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 10:54am

Style: IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I clearly like the first three the best with #3 being my favorite. It was very, very interesting watching size differential in fights. That made it spectacular.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 1:24pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like all of the early ones. No weight classes, no rules, no time limits. It was a prety cool thing back in the day. But the reason I likes it more back then was the tourney format. I think it would be pretty cool to have a tourney style UFC again.

I understand why there are the rule changes, had to happen for the sport to survive, but I still would love to see it go back to the tourney style action.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 2:15pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    Another here for UFC2, because it was so fucking brutal and because there was a real clash of styles.

Pat Smith reigning down vicious elbow strikes on Scott Morris
    Johnny Rhodes brutalising Fred Ettish but Fred Ettish gets a cult following afterwards
    Remco Pardoel being surprised that he beat Orlando Weit. *I didn*t expect to win. I thought he was a tough guy*
    Royce Gracie almost tearing off Jason Delucia*s arm

Then we had
    Pat Smith finishing Johnny Rhodes with a standing guillotine
    Royce Gracie proving that BJJ is superior to Judo/JJJ by submitting a much larger grappler in Remco who has since earned his BJJ black Belt

The final was slightly disappointing as Pat Smith tapped as soon as Royce got the mount but maybe you can*t blame him, at that point no one could escape a Gracie mount.

UFC 2 certainly had everything
    I recall reading somewhere that Pat Smith, while coming in with Kuk Sol Won gi, never actually studied the art. I think I read somewhere that the school simply sponsored him toe wear the gi, but he had no real training in it; he studied something else. But I just remember being excited at the time because I was in TKD and thought this was the closest reprentation of it in the event. And since Pat kicked ass, I would too!

Yeah the old school oens were totally the best. Tourny style, no time limit and no rules. Of course then you'd had the occasional fight where two guys circle each other in the cage for 20 minutes, cause they can. But the style vs style thing was mind blowing at the time. "See I told you a ninja would be a sumo" heated conversations ensued.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast