Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 11:42pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knee Pad Questions

Well folks, my balance problems have caught up to me. A few days ago I fell hard for the first time in about a decade, tearing my jeans and skin, and realized that I really don't take impacts like I used to...bad enough that I was effectively stunned for more than a few seconds. I am drafting a plan to protect my knees and I need some LEOs and/or military servicemen to help me figure out the knee pad market.

Excluding the "handy man" knee pads which are obviously designed for long periods of kneeling, I have come across three types of knee pads:
    1. Knee pads to be inserted into pants, this being an example.
    2. Knee pads which might be worn under clothing, like this.
    3. Knee pads to be worn over clothing, similar to this.
    The third example is archetypal of so-called "tactical" knee pads, but what are they actually for? Is there some benefit for SWAT officers to use such knee pads, or is it another case of the word "tactical" being employed to give Phil Elmore a hard on?

Please tell me everything you can about what each type of pad is for, as well as any relevant personal experiences or recommendations you have. I am primarily interested in impact shock protection, with scrape and tear protection being a distant second concern.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 4:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quite simply...you've covered the major points there;

There are knee pads which are suitable for LEO/Military Ops---which are good inside concrete/urban environments...big hefty bastards in case you collide with stuff like concrete, broken mortar/bricks, rebar, etc. These are good for entry teams, building search details, etc. Some even have ballistic qualities up to Class IV (stopping rifle rounds). These are mucho expensive. That's muy fucking caro for those of you who hablas.

There are others which can slide inside of pre-sewn pockets inside of your BDUs...these work pretty well, but don't stand up to a lot of abuse. And invariably, clumsy fuckers like me inadvertently stick their toes into the pad "catch pockets" and tear the **** out of them on a near-constant basis. I don't like these.

Some of your better and more convenient pads are the simple "slide on" type that Hatch and other companies make for SWAT guys or military. Easy on/off. The only problem is that after repeated wear...most simply slide down/off. Some actually have elastic in them and cover 4-5 inches above the knee joint and some inches beneath the knee joint...so it's almost like a sleeve as opposed to an elastic/velcro pad.

In the end...like always, you tend to get what you pay for.

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 12:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With that being the case, I'll use a two-pronged strategy. I will use the second type when I'm going out, stealth protection, and the third type for when they won't be out of place (like when I'm hiking the property, which brought be down on the rocks in the first place). I couldn't care less about fashion, but walking around with "I saw those on Flashpoint!" knee pads would probably get me more attention that I'd like.

I am settled on the Hatch NK45s for the stealth pads, unless there's something wrong with them, but I've got no idea how to compare the SWAT-style pads. Without taking a lot of your time, can you give me some idea of which might be best out of this group?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 11:50pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never operate without a pair of knee pads either in place or carried with me.

The knees are, obviously, vunerable to fairly easy injury as you've identified however, my own experiences are that regardless of how much or little you spend on knee pads, they pretty much wear out at about the same pace.

The last pair I bought before going to Iraq this year cost me a measly 10.

They are still totally serviceable even though they were used in the wilds of Northern England on pre-deployment and, through the tour its self. They were soft cordura construction and find them very comfortable. I also have a pair of hard plastic pads with a cusion pad. Both do their job but I find the cordura versions lighter and fit better over the knee.

I think the cordura ones were made by a company called WebTex and the plastic versions by Warrior Assault Systems.

Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 12:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks Dave!

Stay safe, knees and all.