Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 8:31am

Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight Management for Competing

I am between 6'2 and 6'3" (188cm) and about 240lb (102kg). I would say my bodyfat is pretty high. Maybe 20% to 25% (this is a guess).

For the last month or so i have been trying to get my weight down. To be honest I have actually i have been struggling with my weight for years. I have come down from about 106kg to 102kg in teh last month or so.

The reason for the recent effort is that I am competing in BJJ and Judo. In the past i have fought MMA and BJJ in the heavyweight category but am always near the bottom of the weight limit so usually end up fighting people much larger/stronger than myself. My natural weight seems to be around 105kg.

After reading a few threads recently I have starting thinking maybe i am going about this the wrong way and should be considering increasing strength and weight instead of the constant struggle to lose weight.

I was looking at super squats and stronglifts 5x5 (I have limited time for gym work with my other training) and I was wanting some opinions on which you would recommend. I am really looking for strength. I have pretty good legs but a weak upper body (My max bench when i was at the gym was only about 85kg). Size will become irrelevant (since i will be super heavy category anyway). The strength requirement is pushing me towards stronglifts, BUT I am also looking to get my body fat down and would like to do this by increasing muscle mass which makes me think super squats for the big size gains.

I would apprieciate any sensible recommendations?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 1:51pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cam4276 View Post
    I am between 6'2 and 6'3" (188cm) and about 240lb (102kg). I would say my bodyfat is pretty high. Maybe 20% to 25% (this is a guess).

For the last month or so i have been trying to get my weight down. To be honest I have actually i have been struggling with my weight for years. I have come down from about 106kg to 102kg in teh last month or so.

The reason for the recent effort is that I am competing in BJJ and Judo. In the past i have fought MMA and BJJ in the heavyweight category but am always near the bottom of the weight limit so usually end up fighting people much larger/stronger than myself. My natural weight seems to be around 105kg.

After reading a few threads recently I have starting thinking maybe i am going about this the wrong way and should be considering increasing strength and weight instead of the constant struggle to lose weight.

I was looking at super squats and stronglifts 5x5 (I have limited time for gym work with my other training) and I was wanting some opinions on which you would recommend. I am really looking for strength. I have pretty good legs but a weak upper body (My max bench when i was at the gym was only about 85kg). Size will become irrelevant (since i will be super heavy category anyway). The strength requirement is pushing me towards stronglifts, BUT I am also looking to get my body fat down and would like to do this by increasing muscle mass which makes me think super squats for the big size gains.

I would apprieciate any sensible recommendations?
    Voice of experience: Bodyfat only gets worse the older you get. The sooner you take control of it the better. Start counting calories now and put yourself on, at the very least a 300 calorie / day deficit, ... which should comfortably and very easily get you to 15% bodyfat within a year.

Counting calories is the only thing that has worked for me to get to and to stay in the 10-12% range. I use a software program to do this.
    Last edited by muddy; 7/16/2009 1:58pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 9:40pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you've already talked yourself into going heavy but I'll give you my opinion.

You sound like you could easily get down to -100 kg which would be your judo weight category. If you're around 102 kg now it's a two kilo cut which you should be able to do with minor dehydration and a slight decrease in your diet intake the week of a competition, very doable.

Take a really hard look at your diet and steps to improve it as above. What are you doing cardio wise now? If nothing, start something, running, biking, a cardio-intensive sport on top of your MA. You know how I've lost about 20 or so pounds in the last year? Volleyball. It's fun and it makes me run around and jump like a madman for 2-3 hours at a time. Find something like that, tidy up your diet and you'll probably lose a bunch of weight without really changing too much to stick to it easily.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 9:50pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Making some relatively minor lifestyle changes like cutting out soda and adding some rowing or biking a few times a week can make drastic differences in your body fat over the course of a year. Honestly analyze your eating habits, write down everything EVERYTHING you eat or drink for a month. Then look at where you are doing stupid things like drinking 5 sodas in a day or eating an entire pizza or whatever and make those changes. Making your lifestyle healthier is better than trying crash dietting or anything like that.

At the same time, start stronglifts or something like that. Pack on the muscle.. That will help get your body fat percentage down. Don't worry about the weight too much, try to have healthier eatting habits and lift. You'll end up with an equalibrium weight where your body fat is much lower.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 5:02am

Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have done three sessions of super squats (and amazingly can see some gain already) but my knees are pretty bad so I am certainly still open to the idea of bringing my weight down.

The real issue is that in order to keep my weight down i will need to closely monitor my eating and exercise for the rest of my life. I dont mind being sensible and not eating like a pig, etc but i really struggle to stay below about 105kg. I would really like to find my natural weight with a lower body fat level. I figured this would be easier with more muscle (allowing me extra calories)

I do judo two or three days a week (i do as many classes as they run) for 2 hours (some sessions are just randori so are fairly intense). I also do MMA 1 day a week and will be starting bjj another day also (i may need to drop the MMA for this as i also have a family). At the moment judo is closed for the month of july so i am doing 2 sessions of MMA a week instead.

Over the last 6 weeks or so i have made some big changes to my diet. I only drink diet soda and light beer and have cut back on carbs dramatically (almost no carbs at the evening meal). Actually I dont miss it that much. We often have a salad for lunch also (I quite like salad). This is how i dropped the 4 kg.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 3:49pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    102 kg=224 lb
    105 kg=231 lb

188cm =6'2''

I had to make those conversions because, sadly, I can't visualize or make associations in metric.

You are really close to 100 kg. I don't understand why you would not want to drop four pounds to compete at 100 kg. A move like that would not be like other weight class shifts. You would be moving from a land where monstrous carnivores potentially lurk around every bend to a happier place where everyone weighs below 100 kg.