Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 6:29am

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGuido View Post
    The instructor at the KK place is only a Shodan...and he seems pretty young (mid 20s). However, the price is REALLY nice, so it might be a good place to start. Just make sure you take a class or two before paying.
    Kyokushin is not a blackbelt mill that churns out high level BB grades every day. High level BB is very rare in kyokushin, and as grade quality cannot be compared across styles, that is perfectly fine.
    I rather take a low level kyokushin bb grade than a high level bb grade from a style where every dojo is run by a 9th to 10th dan level "grand Master".

mid 20ies is not too young for a shodan, but it is a bit young to run a dojo. But being a bit inexperienced does not mean that he is bad (but probably DOES mean that he is passionate and highly motivated), and you dont really need a "25 years experience as instructor" guy to teach you the basics when you first start out. Anyway, the guy has a shihan on standby for more advanced instructions if needed.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 6:41am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Relax. You just threw in a ton of starwmen into a simple comment.

He didn't say he was a bad teacher.
    He didn't say he didn't have enough experience.
    He didn't say KK was a BB mill.
    He wasn't hating on Kyokushin nor, is he being insulting.
    The instructor at the KK place is only a Shodan...and he seems pretty young (mid 20s).
    mid 20ies is not too young for a shodan, but it is a bit young to run a dojo.

He is commenting on the same thing you are and recommending the KK over the Kempo.

Checking the class is right, regardless of the reputation of the art.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 1:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. One last question though:

As I said before, I'm a bit concerned about getting hurt in a way that will **** me over in my job. Am I right to be concerned, and is there anything I can do to prevent said injuries? Obviously bruises or scrapes don't bother me at all, it's breaking bones or getting a concussion from a head kick that scares me (I've been watching videos of the style on youtube to see what it's like. Very impressive, but injuries are my only real concern).

I'm in decent shape, but far from "ripped" in any sense of the word (231 lbs, 6'), but I have fairly good flexibility and although my arm muscles lack definition, I'm fairly strong from doing push ups. Do you think I should try to find a good personal trainer at Gold's Gym and train for a couple of months first before starting Kyokushin? Or can I/should I just basically jump right in?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 2:17pm

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Relax. You just threw in a ton of starwmen into a simple comment.

He didn't say he was a bad teacher.
    He didn't say he didn't have enough experience.
    He didn't say KK was a BB mill.
    He wasn't hating on Kyokushin nor, is he being insulting.
    Hmm. I though I was calm. I fully understood that he was neither insulting nor attacking the teacher or the art.
    I tried to clarify and expand on his post.
    If I came across as "trigger happy" and as a angrily rebutting or attacking his post, it was unintentional and I am sorry.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 2:28pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't apologize. It just read that way to me. I could be wrong. I just noticed you get a little testy when it comes to your art in various posts.

I didn't want this to turn drama related. With that, we will stop derailing the thread.

Check out a class, if you like it do the KK which is very well regarded and established.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 5:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Check out a class, if you like it do the KK which is very well regarded and established.
    Yeah, pretty much what I was planning on doing. Still doesn't really answer my questions though (1. Should I get into better shape on my own first before going into KK, or can I start with just being in the shape I'm currently in? 2. Should I be concerned about getting hurt in a way that will take me out of commission in regards to my job, and will conditioning before as stated in question 1 prevent this at all?).

Appreciate the help thusfar, though. Even though it looks intense and a tad bit on the dangerous side, it definitely looks effective and legitimate, which is exactly what I'm looking for, as well as being a striking art which I'm used to and prefer. I'll be checking them out tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 11:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just go, if you like it keep going and your conditioning will improve as you do. As far as injury goes just make sure you let your training partners know that you need the intensity turned down enough to prevent injuries that would impede your work, that is reasonable, bruises, scrapes and broken toes should be expected.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 1:19am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's going to motivate you? Martial Arts or training to get in shape for martial arts?

If it is a good class you will get in shape. If it is a mediocre class you'll get in shape. If it is a horrible class you need to go somewhere else as, you'll be wasting your time and not getting in shape.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12