Posted On:
    7/12/2009 2:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Henry Agri's Kenpo/JJ

Hi guys, newcomer here.

Basically, I've been looking around the Massachusetts area for a good Kenpo school (originally trained at Nick Cerio's, I made a thread about my general background over in newbietown), and I've been wondering about this school after researching and discovering Villari's was a crock.

They seem to have a lot of accreditation (registered with a lot of professional associations) and say they trace back their lineage to Edmund Parker himself, which I would hope goes towards their legitimacy. You can view their website here: http://www.agriskenpokarate.com/ . They teach JJ as well, which is also what I used to learn, which sounds great.

I guess what I'm asking is, is this place legit? The place is really convenient (just down the street basically), Henry Agri is a military guy (always a plus in my book, although I know he won't be the one training me), and the price at least seems adequate (they have an offer for 3 months for $300 with a free gi, and they have "no hidden costs" [at least so they say]). If I can't go here, I could possibly go to their North Grafton dojo, but that would be far less convenient for me, and I really just like to find a good dojo of a legitimate MA form (which is the most important thing to me, regardless of cost), but it seems a bit difficult here in Westboro. I plan on visiting this place tomorrow, to talk with the instructors and maybe sit in on a class or two. I'd be willing to switch styles if there was a superior dojo in the area, but kumite and just the overall ability to use the art in self-defense is very important to me, so please keep that in mind if you are to recommend a different style.

Many of you guys are smart so I figured I'd ask here before I go. Any suggestions as to what I should also be looking for to make sure the place and the instructors are of adequate quality would be highly appreciated as well, so feel free to make any further suggestions on the subject. Thanks in advance.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 10:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a few eyebrow raisers on that site, but see if you can try before you buy.
    I know of two joints in Mass., one in West Springfield that is run by John DeLuca who is a really good teacher, and a school in Stoughton that does Shootfighting along side their kenpo.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 7:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RamsHead View Post
    There are a few eyebrow raisers on that site, but see if you can try before you buy.
    I know of two joints in Mass., one in West Springfield that is run by John DeLuca who is a really good teacher, and a school in Stoughton that does Shootfighting along side their kenpo.

If I may ask... what are the "few eyebrow raisers" you speak of? It would really help to know what specifically I should watch out for when choosing a dojo. It seems like they have adult classes on Mondays and Wednesdays when I called them, but I can come in and use their facilities as much as I want whenever I want when they're open, which is nice. The $299 for 3 months + free gi seems like a pretty good deal for me and something I can easily afford, as long as the instruction is good. They seemed very friendly when I talked with them over the phone, and Henry Agri is actually around all the time (got to talk to him a bit too over the phone, actually).

I couldn't make it on Monday but I'll be going in tomorrow (the classes are apparently at 7:15 PM, which is good for me since I work during the day). I'll letcha know how it goes, I'm both excited and nervous at the same time. How much do you think fighting ability is based off of the style compared to how much you practice/use it in actual fighting/kumite? At the very least I figure I can ask them about things I'm curious about, like "what do I do in situation X?", and then have them help me figure out a good way to defeate said move and just practice it myself if need be. If I could just have that, plus being able to sparr, I'd probably be fine to be completely honest. Maybe that's just me (I'm not really relying on the instructor to do everything for me, I see them as just a tool).

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 9:24pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    If I may ask... what are the "few eyebrow raisers" you speak of?
    Well, for me this is a red flag:
    Henry Agri's Kenpo Karate is now offering classes in Mixed Martial Arts. Our MMA program is an exciting addition to our schedule and will include multiple martial arts styles including: Combat JuJutsu, Small Circle Jiu Jitsu, BJJ, Muy Thai Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling and Kenpo. This class is designed for those who want an intense workout and wish to train in a non-classical fighting method, utilizing the best techniques from multiple martial arts disciplines. Classes are forming today!
    It doesn't give me any confidence that their "MMA Program" is nothing more than a cash grab. For instance, I couldn't find anywhere on their site where it mentions anyone on their staff with BJJ experience, despite it being mentioned above.

Bo Staff, Nunchaku, Kama, Kubaton, Tonfa, Knife, Sai, Sword and Escrima
    and it just bugs the ever-living **** out of me to see sticks referred to as "escrima" - pretty much guarantees they don't know what they're talking about.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 9:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well for one thing, you mention Villari and Cerio and Agri recieved his BB in kenpo from Cerio. They have to many credentials if you ask me, who's kenpo do they teach ? Most kenpo in the U.S. can be traced in one way or another back to Parker. Do not be suckered in by the "free" gi, its a 15 or 20 dollar wholesale gi and they probably have contracts as well. As far as the sparring goes, they state that it is no contact competition sparing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 3:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should I still check the place out? I really want some sort of legitimate MA style that in some way involves kicks and punches (and especially how to properly defend against them) at least, that could realistically be used in self-defense in real life in some way (if involved in hand-to-hand combat). This is also going to be my main workout program (since I want to get back into shape). If they can meet these requirements, I'd be fine with it. When I went to Nick Cerio's in Johnston, RI, it was great, but that might just be because of the specific instructors there, rather than the Nick Cerio style itself.

Convenience of location is also very important to me. I'm really looking for something in the area, either in Westborough or within 10-20 minutes of the town, and not in the city of Boston at all (considering the shitty drive and crime, I'd generally like to avoid areas like that). This may sound really specific, but I'm only looking one specific dojo to go to.

Now that I look around, I think Kyokushin might be good for me considering it's full contact (I'd like to avoid point fighting if at all possible, I'm looking for something more realistic). Seems like there's a Gold's Gym in Ashland that teaches it... any ideas? Or should I look into another style/dojo?

Should I be asking this question in another section of the forums?

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 5:05pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have my original username. For a minute I thought, "Why did I create a thread on Kenpo? I stopped studying that years ago..."

Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 6:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the place's website at Gold's Gym, thoughts?:

http://www.marubashidojo.com/

Instruction comes free with the gym membership too which is like $49/month without a commitment (5 bucks less with commitment). Sounds like a good deal at a good price, plus you get all the other stuff the gym offers as well.

Please tell me this will work I wanna start already :(
    My only worry is breaking any bones or anything like that as I am in the construction trades (Electrician), but it looks like you'd really learn a lot more from full contact, and I'd figure they'd teach you how to properly take a hit and how to fall so that you don't get really hurt compared to just some cuts or bruises.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 12:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The kyokushin looks far more the real deal than Agri's joint and seems a really hard price to beat..........

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 1:35am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The instructor at the KK place is only a Shodan...and he seems pretty young (mid 20s). However, the price is REALLY nice, so it might be a good place to start. Just make sure you take a class or two before paying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast