Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162223242526 27282930 LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 3:44am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Nick Diaz has flipped off the crowd on multiple occasions. Dana White drops four letter words like a Tarantino character. Michael Bisping, Houston Alexander, and Rich Clementi, to name a few, have engaged in mocking post fight behavior. Heck, on the same PPV Dan Henderson took the oppurtunity to land a Jerry Lawler style Flying Fist Drop on his out cold opponent. But Brock get's douche of the month and a condescending lecture about class?
    Those guys are all "MMA" guys. They are already inside the circle so they can be pricks if they want to and it's just part of the game. Brock is from outside. He's one of those fake fighters from pro wrestling. Which is fake fighting, of course. But they can't come over here and pretend to be real fighters. Except Brock is a real fighter. So... WAAH!

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 5:47am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Tsk tsk. I see that once again the Internet MMA Community is going after that mean old wrassler who's ruining their sport. Now, granted, Lesnar has firmly established himself at the opposite end of whatever scale guys like Randy Couture and Jon Fitch are at the top of, but still:

Nick Diaz has flipped off the crowd on multiple occasions. Dana White drops four letter words like a Tarantino character. Michael Bisping, Houston Alexander, and Rich Clementi, to name a few, have engaged in mocking post fight behavior. Heck, on the same PPV Dan Henderson took the oppurtunity to land a Jerry Lawler style Flying Fist Drop on his out cold opponent. But Brock get's douche of the month and a condescending lecture about class?

Puh-leeze. If it had been any other fighter, there might have been a few posts to the effect of "So and so's a big retard" but BS wouldn't have found it necessary for a special column just to tie them to the e-whipping post.
    I can't stand Nick Diaz. I think he is a disrespectful punk. Nothing in the world of MMA made me happier than watching KJ Noons beat him.

I do like Dana White, but don't condone his constant use of the F word in situations where he should act more professional.

The antics of Michael Bisping, Houston Alexander, and Rich Clementi aren't even comparable. Besides, what makes Less-Narr a douche goes beyond his post fight ring antics.

Quit trying to turn this into a "you all hate wrasslers" thing. Especially when there is such broad support for Hendo, who you also mentioned. Because Hendo is, of course, a wrestler. No, BLABM is just a douche, and that is what this is about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 1:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    I can't stand Nick Diaz. I think he is a disrespectful punk. Nothing in the world of MMA made me happier than watching KJ Noons beat him.
    Nothing in the world of MMA made you happier? So, if he wasn't a disrespectful punk, then that would have been just another guy losing a fight. It might have been a good fight, but not quite as memorable as watching a guy who really deserved a beat down getting it handed to him.

I see Brock as representing the exact same phenomenon. Pure PPV gold!

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing you for this. I also thought Brock looked like a douche, I just don't think it was entirely unintentional on Dana White's part. You can be sure I'll be watching Brock's next fight!

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 2:00pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha View Post
    Nothing in the world of MMA made you happier? So, if he wasn't a disrespectful punk, then that would have been just another guy losing a fight. It might have been a good fight, but not quite as memorable as watching a guy who really deserved a beat down getting it handed to him.

I see Brock as representing the exact same phenomenon. Pure PPV gold!

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing you for this. I also thought Brock looked like a douche, I just don't think it was entirely unintentional on Dana White's part. You can be sure I'll be watching Brock's next fight!
    Whilst I hate to admit it, you are right. I get more exited about Brock's fights than any others because I'm so desperate to see him lose.

I don't agree that his actions are somehow pre-planned though. I'm sure that his level of 'douchebaggery' is impossible to fake. I think it's just been a rather convinient accident for Dana.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 6:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain View Post
    I don't agree that his actions are somehow pre-planned though. I'm sure that his level of 'douchebaggery' is impossible to fake. I think it's just been a rather convinient accident for Dana.
    Agreed, I didn't mean to suggest that Dana White somehow instructed Brock to say and do those things. But while it may not have been scripted, Dana must have known that Brock would make an ass of himself. There was plenty of precedent for it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2009 7:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu/Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well doesn't the guy have the right to hate the people paying his salary and prefer Coors than Bud lite? Also there's no rule about having to touch gloves.

Sure this act was very WWE'ish, but there's no rule or violation about having to respect the audience or touching gloves or disliking UFC's sponsors.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    8/08/2009 7:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing in the world of MMA made you happier?
    Hyperbole is a wonderful thing. It is true, I did like seeing him shut up (the fact that he never actually shut up is immaterial). But, I enjoy fights for the skilled fighting, and don't enjoy them any more because of douchebag behavior.

I will definitely look forward to Less-Narr fighting with great excitement. But not because he's a douche, and certainly not anymore than I would if he was not a douche. And yet I will still watch inspite of the fact that he is a douche. I will watch because I want to see if/when anyone will be able to stop a guy who is an Unstoppable Frate Train (tm) in the cage. That is why I watch fights.

If I want to see a villain get beat by the hero, I'll watch a movie. ...Or COPS.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 1:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    I enjoy fights for the skilled fighting, and don't enjoy them any more because of douchebag behavior.
    Your Zen-like stoicism and pure appreciation for the sport is admirable. However, 99.9999% of Brock haters will be glued to their TVs after paying their PPV fees in the despirate hopes of seeing the heel KTFO'd -- as many times as it takes -- ensuring Dana White's reward for Brock's douchebaggery.

I for one admit a certain guilty pleasure in all the drama.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 1:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkenedaqua View Post
    Well doesn't the guy have the right to hate the people paying his salary and prefer Coors than Bud lite? Also there's no rule about having to touch gloves.
    Of course he does! He has a right to say whatever he wants. And Dana has the right to drop him after his contract ends. But Dana would never actually do that (unless he stops winning fights and/or being entertaining) because it wouldn't be worth the loss of revenue. So, instead Dana walked the fine line between them. Don't actually punish Brock in a meaningful way, just fine him a tiny fraction of his purse (which is still bigger than most of our annual salaries), and get him to appease the sponsors by apologizing and drinking a Bud Light in the post-fight interviews on camera. The best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenedaqua View Post
    Sure this act was very WWE'ish, but there's no rule or violation about having to respect the audience or touching gloves or disliking UFC's sponsors.
    No one here is threatening legal action against Brock or the UFC. People are just venting by saying "Brock such a douche!" A perfectly valid complaint by fans who care about the future and image of the sport.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 7:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your Zen-like stoicism and pure appreciation for the sport is admirable. However, 99.9999% of Brock haters will be glued to their TVs after paying their PPV fees in the despirate hopes of seeing the heel KTFO'd -- as many times as it takes -- ensuring Dana White's reward for Brock's douchebaggery.

I for one admit a certain guilty pleasure in all the drama.
    Surely it is not an all or nothing proposition? Clearly the hyping of fights increases viewership. And, of course, I enjoy fights more when I know a little bit about the fighters. But, imo, BLABM went way over the top. Frankly, as someone who always tries to spread the word about the legitimacy of MMA as a sport, I found his behavior embarassing.