Our Sponsors:

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131920212223 24252627 ... LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 11:54am

Style: Wrestling, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As if a pro like Lesnar needs a script to do a work. He's a master of getting over as a heel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 2:41pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "MMA doesn't need heels. We know that you know this is not the WWE. But are you aware that the only "character" you need to play is the one of "skilled fighter"? The days of "Bad For the Sport" are grinding to a close. The demographics are shifting from beer-swilling hillbillies who would enjoy staged fights as much as real ones, to educated, median-to-high income folks who aren't impressed by a bleached gorilla flinging verbal poo from within his cage."

This paragraph says it all for me. Nothing against gorilla's but he was clearly making the UFC look like the WWF sorry WWE. A true martial artists would have more class in victory or defeat.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkerdnoi View Post
    "The demographics are shifting from beer-swilling hillbillies who would enjoy staged fights as much as real ones, to educated, median-to-high income folks who aren't impressed by a bleached gorilla flinging verbal poo from within his cage."
    I'm calling bullshit on this part anyway.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 5:58pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was some stat. out showing that MMA, Baseball, Basketball, football was the order for the most educated viewers (college degree holders). I had this theory that a lot of wuss college students or bodybuilding (for their confidence levels) types use it as an extension of their ego.. lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 11:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkerdnoi View Post
    "MMA doesn't need heels. We know that you know this is not the WWE. But are you aware that the only "character" you need to play is the one of "skilled fighter"? The days of "Bad For the Sport" are grinding to a close. The demographics are shifting from beer-swilling hillbillies who would enjoy staged fights as much as real ones, to educated, median-to-high income folks who aren't impressed by a bleached gorilla flinging verbal poo from within his cage."

This paragraph says it all for me. Nothing against gorilla's but he was clearly making the UFC look like the WWF sorry WWE. A true martial artists would have more class in victory or defeat.
    Do you actually know what the WWE's viewer demographics are. I think you'd be surprised at how many of those "beer swilling hillbillies" hold college degrees and good paying jobs. Check out the stats not only in the US and Canada, but also the rest of the world. Then be careful in making assumptions about entertainment you don't personally enjoy.

Some of you sound like McCain when he was stupidly mouthing off about MMA.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 12:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the rest of the world shouldn't be included in this sort of discussion. The rest of the world are completely clueless about the trashy side of american life. The rest of the world thinks all americans are educated, smart, sophiscated and tasteful. Or something to that effect. I wonder what actual WWE viewership is like, I wish they included WWE/WWF in that article I was reading I mentioned a couple of posts ago, since then it'd be more relevant to this discussion.

I think in the end people just don't want MMA turning into an entertainment industry completely by people who want to see violence with no regards to the sport itself. If you turn it into a gambling venue that'll probably change really quickly... LOL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 1:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't think UFC provides enough violence to satisfy that crowd? Is its real strength in its rhetoric?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 2:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, a lot of people want to see KO's, fights standing up, GnP, and don't appreciate the technical aspects of the fights. Catering to that correlates to WWE attitudes, and Lesnar fits that both in his attitude and fighting style that totally satisfies that crowd.

The people who advocate against you probably don't want this kind of thing to be accepted or lightly looked over, so it won't start happening more and more often. A guy like Lesnar had been promoted for a reason, and that was completely up to the guys who run the show. The cause-and-effect of viewership (audience makeup) and "bad attitudes" such as Lesnar is mutual, so it is probably completely up to the promoters and organizers. I will say this though, if in the near future all the competitive guys start doing **** in crude attitudes, viewer makeup will probably change. I don't care if they are educated or not. People aren't going to want to associate themselves with that crowd, and start moving away from the sport.

Okay, enough playing devils advocate.
    I have no opinion one way or another btw. State of affairs in UFC is fine, as long as things like this don't spiral out of control. Big deal, he made fun of his sponsors and alluded to sex. He probably won't allude to sex again. What happened in the ring? Not a class act, but whatever. Its part of fighting. It happens every once in a while. Dana White spoke against it, and he apologized so I don't think they are promoting this kinda stuff. And the sponsor thing? Let the sponsor and UFC sort that out. Completely outside my scope of judgement. If Lesnar is stupid enough to diss a financial contributor, I don't care.

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 6:59am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still don't know how a person with a 2-1 record, in any legit sport, gets a title shot.
    Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 7:13am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    the rest of the world shouldn't be included in this sort of discussion. The rest of the world are completely clueless about the trashy side of american life. The rest of the world thinks all americans are educated, smart, sophiscated and tasteful. Or something to that effect.
    Ha! I can speak for the UK and say that we literally think that 90% of you are morons.
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131920212223 24252627 ... LastLast