Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 2021222329 ... LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2009 11:38pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLordHumungus View Post
    But he's not universally hated. He's got a **** ton of fans. The only ones who hate him are those pissed that he's gonna bring MMA to the level of pro-wrestling. basically arrogant douches you need something to look down on.
    Yes. That is the genius of it. The people who hate him will keep coming back to watch him get beaten, however long that takes. And Brock's fans will keep coming back too, to ride out his inevitable marathon victory run through the UFC heavyweight division, just to rub it in all the haters' faces. As long as Brock can keep winning, he will draw ridiculous numbers of viewers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 12:05pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brock Lesnar is the worst thing to happen to the UFC since the media blackout. I was hoping to get my father to the see UFC 100. But I'm damned lucky I did'nt, I guess I'll wait for Affliction.

And if a Fedor vs Lesnar does happen the only way Fedor will lose is if Lesnar learns to punch like Tyson.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 12:18pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMKane View Post
    Brock Lesnar is the worst thing to happen to the UFC since the media blackout. I was hoping to get my father to the see UFC 100. But I'm damned lucky I did'nt, I guess I'll wait for Affliction.

And if a Fedor vs Lesnar does happen the only way Fedor will lose is if Lesnar learns to punch like Tyson.
    If by worst thing you mean make the UFC millions of dollars while Affliction continues to throw money to overpaid fighters and put on shows that no one will buy, then, yes, I agree.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 3:24pm

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lame update. Brock Lesnar is as classless as any freaking hypocrites like Kongo who want to pass off as "humble men" while being the most arrogant douches of all. Yet noone complains about that, hypocrisy anyone?

Plus, people who are hating Brock Lesnar just like whoever wrote this are playing into Brock's hands, that's a fact. He wants you to hate him because that attracts viewers (a-la Ortiz).

Why should all the MMA fighters be all classy anyway? God that would be fucking BORING. "But only performances really matter in MMA", yeah then stop complaining about Brock's "asshole behaviour". There are jerks IRL, why wouldn't there be in MMA? Or why shouldn't there be? If everyone was like Fedor I probably wouldn't be a hardcore MMA fan, because that would be boring as all hell.

Characters also make this sport entertaining, I find Brock's entertaining because it does no harm, it's not like he kicked his opponent to death or choked/hit him after the referee stepped in. That I wouldn't agree with. But Brock adds some "spice" to this sport IMO.

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 3:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's people like you that, against all reason, put me in the position of arguing for the side of propriety and etiquette in the culture wars. My long-haired college self would be ashamed.

There are some who think that people, particularly professionals, celebrities, and leaders, should strive to adhere to certain standards of conduct. Saying "Why" is a childish response. There is value--extrinsic and intrinsic--in people being polite and acting correctly. Manners are social lubricant; they make society run better. I can't think of a better environment to stress correct etiquette and respect than combat sports.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 5:06pm

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some who think that people, particularly professionals, celebrities, and leaders, should strive to adhere to certain standards of conduct. Saying "Why" is a childish response. There is value--extrinsic and intrinsic--in people being polite and acting correctly. Manners are social lubricant; they make society run better. I can't think of a better environment to stress correct etiquette and respect than combat sports.
    It was more a question than an answer. This is entertainment, wheither you like it or not, and it's quite logical to expect it to be entertaining. And that's what Brock is, in my and many others' opinion. I don't even understand why you're talking about society and such, when I was mainly talking about the entertaining factor of Brock's attitude.

You're going on a rant about society and the importance of politeness, I'm never going to deny that politeness has it's place in society, especially in things that require it, such as politics and debates. But this is a combat sport for crying out loud, trash talking has always and will always be part of this and it's influence on society is almost equal to none.

"But this is a bad example for the younger, more influencable ones", true, but it's not like Brock's behaviour is common in MMA, FAR FROM THAT. There are so many other fighters that are good influences to the public and are fit to be role models, ONE fighter isn't going to change everything.

And politeness is sometimes way overrated. Some of the most polite men can also be the worst at the same time. Japanese society is well reknowned for it's borderline repressive politeness, yet it doesn't make it any less fucked up (rise of pedophilia, prostitution rampant in schools, numbers talk for themselves).

P.S.: Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating harsh language or anything, I'm just saying I like diversity in combat sports, I wouldn't want MMA to be like boxing as far as trash talking goes, but I think it's still necessary just like humility and respect is for our sport.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I don't like gays. Write that down in your little notebook. I don't like gays." -Cock Chestner

Grappling with his future - NFL - ESPN
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 5:52pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least he is honest about it.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokaku View Post
    If everyone was like Fedor I probably wouldn't be a hardcore MMA fan, because that would be boring as all hell.
    It would indeed be incredibly boring if every mma fighter were incredibly well rounded.

You're one of those guys who really misses Pride's inane entrances aren't you?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 7:58pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    It would indeed be incredibly boring if every mma fighter were incredibly well rounded.

You're one of those guys who really misses Pride's inane entrances aren't you?
    A good match up with two fighters of similar skill often results in a long, exciting, violent and destructive matches. I can see epic buildups to KOs and what not. Its not boring. But I wasn't sure if UL was being sarcastic or not.