Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/12/2009 10:07pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I agree he is getting better. If its consolation for you, in striking you progress from complete newbie to looking "alright" pretty quickly. Being tricky, stonewall defense, greate foot movement, fast and hard (thought because he is so fucking big it doesn't matter) *usually* takes much longer.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2009 10:08pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Founder of College Park Mixed Martial Arts Style: BJJ, San Shou, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody booed Anderson Silva when he refused to touch gloves with Henderson.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2009 11:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat View Post
    Having said that, I can't help but feel that some members of the Martial Arts community, who perhaps took up martial arts due to being bullied in school, see Brock as their worst nightmare - the schoolyard bully who they can't defeat by virtue of their training because he is bigger, stronger, and now has comparable skills. I can see how that would be demoralizing.
    I think that your ability to remotely psychoanalyze, and/or read the minds of, martial artists who hate Brock Lesnar is limited or non-existent. It's quite reasonable to consider Lesnar a pompous shithead regardless of one's personal biography.

Posted On:
    7/12/2009 11:47pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdean View Post
    Nobody booed Anderson Silva when he refused to touch gloves with Henderson.
    I can't remember where he refused to touch gloves, but I think it was when the fight had just started. He did however, touch gloves during the staredown beforehand. I could be wrong about this...if I am, he did it vice-versa. Either way is, he touched gloves at least once, and I'm pretty sure he did it before the fight began.

Is it cool to not want to touch gloves once the fight begins? Not really, especially when your opponent wants to. But you've already shown respect once, and some fighters like to start the action straight away. It was a minor awkward moment, not a blatant show of disrespect like Lesnar's.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    7/12/2009 11:53pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLordHumungus View Post
    I think it was pretty cool of the guy to come out and apologize like that. Both he and Frank did talk a bunch of ****, only one of them backed it up at all. Wonder if Frank's ready to come out and admit he wasn't even in Brock's league.
    Um.... I tend to think that taking a beating and losing is still "backing it up". It's not like Mir ran around defensively a la Kalib Starnes or Michael "I'm amazing at fighting cans" Bisping.

Did Mir get beat? Hell yeah. He got beat by a smarter Lesnar, one who was patient and picked his shots well. Was Mir ready for this? I don't think so. Does that mean he was out of his league? You sir, are an idiot.

Brock fought smart, and Mir seemed to fight thinking that he'd be able to catch the Behemoth making an amateur mistake. Well, Brock tried not to make any mistakes, and for that Mir was simply out-prepared. Not out-leagued.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 12:57am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    I can't remember where he refused to touch gloves, but I think it was when the fight had just started. He did however, touch gloves during the staredown beforehand. I could be wrong about this...if I am, he did it vice-versa. Either way is, he touched gloves at least once, and I'm pretty sure he did it before the fight began.

Is it cool to not want to touch gloves once the fight begins? Not really, especially when your opponent wants to. But you've already shown respect once, and some fighters like to start the action straight away. It was a minor awkward moment, not a blatant show of disrespect like Lesnar's.
    the only injury i got from one fight where i beat the **** out of someone was because i thought it would be nice to touch gloves after the bell too. he reached out as if he was going to reciprocate then launched a kick that smashed my elbow. i couldnt bend it properly after the fight for like 4 fucking days.

so **** that

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 1:00am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madrigan View Post
    It's quite reasonable to consider Lesnar a pompous shithead regardless of one's personal biography.
    Lol.

I actually agree with you. I do think he acted like a pompous shithead, and that the majority of people expressing their dislike of him are doing so because he acted like an ass.

Perhaps I was unclear in my earlier post. I'm not saying that the people condemning his actions are doing so because they were bullied by mini-Brocks earlier in life, I'm simply saying that for those who were bullied, and took up martial arts as a way to defend themselves from bullies, Brock is very disheartening.

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 1:01am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    the only injury i got from one fight where i beat the **** out of someone was because i thought it would be nice to touch gloves after the bell too. he reached out as if he was going to reciprocate then launched a kick that smashed my elbow. i couldnt bend it properly after the fight for like 4 fucking days.

so **** that
    Manny Gamburyan did that in one of his fights (or tried to). Rampage tends to try and throw immediately after the glove touch too.

It's often safer to avoid it entirely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 1:29am

Style: Wrestling, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilbourn
    Is anyone?
    Nobody he's fought yet. Maybe Couture when he was younger, but that'll remain a maybe.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 6:27am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're left with two choices for explaining BLABM's behavior. Either all that accurately reflects his true feelings and character, or he is "acting" the heel, ala the WWE. Either way he's a douche. We certainly don't need for MMA to be WWE'd up. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that could ruin the sport. But on the other hand, if all that ****'s genuine? The guy really deserves this award.
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast