Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 11:06am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Someone mind checking this school out...

I'll go ahead and share what I know of the school and the like so far. I could really use an outside look on the place.

Article Link: http://www.newsandtribune.com/archiv...013152913.html

(My apologizes on the long links, I'm not very good with HTML)

Ok, first off, the staff is very genuine in what they do. So if it ends up being a McDojo I have a feeling it's not intentional.

Some of the things mentioned as well as playing devils advocate on occasion:

Can potentionally earn your first deree black belt in 2 years. Each degree after that is about another 2 years each.

Students can and have failed belt testing, there was one who failed in my yellow belt class.

The test fee runs at $25.00, first black belt test fee is $100. The black belt is embroidered with your name and degree.

Monthly Contract fee (if you choose it) is 69.00 a month.

The Karate class is not pure Karate. It uses a lot of Karate, Boxing, TKD, and Judo. Or at least that's been my experience so far.

An example of the 30 minute class is such as follows:
    1st: You do the form. Kata I believe is the most common name for it.

2nd: You do 1-3 steps (depending on belt level).

3rd: Combinations, Boxing punches intermingled with kicks.

4th: Self-Defense Technique, usually some form of a takedown with a follow up grapple. One time it was a takedown into an classic armbar and another was a takedown into a different variation of an armbar. We've also had headlocks coupled into the takedown.

That is pretty much the extent of it.

So far I've not personally had the opportunity to spar, but I was told that you start Boxing with each other in Red and start doing Judo sparring in Brown. The Red class is right after mine, so I've seen them spar and it looks to be full contact (meaning: not light touches, but wearing headgear instead).

Reasons I worry (mostly because they're somewhat mentioned on a "How to detect a McDojo" Article I read):

1: You have the option of paying in cash or doing a contract for 2 years.
    2: He was inducted into the USA Martial Arts Hall of Fame(see website)
    3: He's an 8th Degree black belt.
    4: The fact that it's possible to obtain a black belt in two years makes me a bit cautious.
    5: How many younger kids are in the program.
    6: The fact that so many styles are incorporated worries me a bit.

Things to consider:
    1: If you get injured or have a financial problem, they will freeze the payments until you're ready to come back.

2: He has photo's with quite a few people. Even a few of him sparring with Bill Wallace (doesn't necessarily mean anything I suppose). He also has several former students who've done well (see the News and Tribune article).

3: If he is not instructing then it's one of the Black Belts. The youngest I've seen instruct is 20.

4: We're allowed to come in and use the equipment and practice anytime they're open.

5: Terry flat out tells you what he considers useless and only teaches because it's required (Example: Double backhand, Jump Front, Jump Side, Jump Axekick). He's pretty against anything that gets you off the ground.

6: He doesn't advertise other than word of mouth.

7: Ranks don't seem to be bloated, they go White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple, Red, Brown, Black.

I googled and didn't find anything other than the two previous links and at http://www.battleofatlanta.com/officials.htm

Anyways, there hasn't been really anything alarming to me during the classes (other than we don't work on groundwork much at all). But it all just seems to be a bit too good to be true. Not really trying to defend it either, other than to make sure I provided adequate information on both sides of the fence.

I plan on crosstraining at some point, but I just want to make sure that this is legit and not something I'm going to have to unlearn later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Thought the Hall of Fame was via PKA, but I believe that's defunct now? So I'm not sure which its under.
    Last edited by Rendox; 7/11/2009 11:11am at .

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 11:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of what you say tells me to stay away. Nothing you told us particularly makes me think it's a great place.

Not sparring until red and brown is a MASSIVE red flag.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 11:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was afraid of that, guess I'll be looking around soon then. Gives me a chance to find a style that fits me better through I suppose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 11:36am

Style: naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. That "Officials Hall of Fame" page is really quite a piece of work. They've got 10th dans galore, sokes in multicoloured uniforms, and at least one perfect example of a KKKK in someone's promo photo. There's a "Wing Cheung" stylist, a Goshinjutsu guy, a Choi Kwang Do guy, a Chung Moo Kwan guy, a Songahm TKD guy from the ATA, a Systema guy, a Keichu-do guy, a "Bantu karate" master, and the mad genius behind Lissajous Do-ryu. And someone who advertises "Vale Tudo" as a style. Among others.

And a "started developing own MA" field for everyone.

If we were playing Bullshido Bingo, my card would be full, I think.

I don't know about this school per se, but advertising a connection to this isn't really a good sign.
    Last edited by futabachan; 7/11/2009 11:44am at .

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what you've said, it seems you enjoy the place. Doesn't like like some of the rip-offs that have been mentioned on this forum before.

My advice for you, would be to cross train. Do as much as you can. Try a boxing gym, a Judo club, a BJJ club, Kickboxing/Muay Thai, etc. Try them all out for a couple of months if possible. This will give you some additional experience to reflect upon. Once you have done this, take a look at your training again at this school and see how it compares. You may decide that your current school is ok, you may decide that its not for you.

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 1:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds like a good route to go. I've noticed that my I'm a terrible kicker/don't enjoy it, so I think I might try out Boxing next. Thanks for the advice 1point2, Futabachan, and Datdamnmachine. Very much appreciated!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 7:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must really examine what you really want out of a martial arts' school. If you're hoping to be the next UFC HW Champ, then maybe (although, not definitively) this isn't exactly your best option. If you are looking to simply be a participant, gain a foundation of learning/experience in the martial arts, have fun, etc. then then this place seems OK. I don't have any direct experience, nor do I know anyone having direct experience with this guy/school so I cant speak definitivelyk, either way. Just my impressions.

Look, there are two big things to remember:
    1) You seem to enjoy the training and seem to enjoy the teachers/fellow students. Thats big. What many consider to be the 'best school' may not be 'the best school' for you. Every school ain't for everybody!

2) DO NOT check your brain at the door. Evaluate, think about, research, question EVERYTHING you're being taught! In the martial arts' setting, remember that there are protocals for this, and always be respectful, but you MUST always question--even if its just with your own private research! Look, that goes for a history or english class in school, too! Always take responsibilty for whats in your own brain! Its NEVER "just because someone said so"....

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 8:04am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    website seems to be down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 8:22am

Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont understrand this comment

"Terry flat out tells you what he considers useless and only teaches because it's required"

Required by whom?

Isnt he the 8th Dan head of the school? Surely if he thinks a technique is crap he can not teach it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 8:38am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cam4276 View Post
    I dont understrand this comment

"Terry flat out tells you what he considers useless and only teaches because it's required"

Required by whom?

Isnt he the 8th Dan head of the school? Surely if he thinks a technique is crap he can not teach it.
    Sounds like a organization requirement to teach certain things, but I don't see anything that shows that the school belongs to any type of org yet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast