Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 12:58pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Cephalopod View Post
    And while GSP's wrestling is certainly better overall than Alves, Koschek took GSP down more often than he was able to take down Alves, so I don't think GSP is necessarily going to have an easy time getting Alves to the ground.
    Styles make fights, math doesn't work, blah blah blah, but Alves did beat Koscheck way more soundly than GSP did. I bet Koscheck could at least walk the next day after he fought GSP.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 2:09pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train with Alves' camp and that dude is a freakin beast. One thing I like about this matchup is that for better or worse, Alves isn't scared like some of GSP's more recent opponents. I think GSP is one of the best fighters ever in this sport, and he does probably have a technical/skill advantage in this fight, but I'm not sure how much time he will have to put it in place. I just saw in an interview where GSP said he had to be careful with Alves because he 'is very aggresive, keeps attacking and can end a fight at any moment', but that's not his only strong suit.
    The dude trains wrestling and BJJ all the time, and he trains with some of the best BJJ guys in the world. Just because most of his fights have ended in one dimensional quick KO victories doesn't mean that's the only dimension he's capable of fighting in.

Either way, both of them are awesome, respectable fighters and whatever happens this should be a great fight.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 2:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A smaller, more technically accomplished fighter will beat a stronger, more powerful fighter tonight, and gsp will beat Alves too. Seriously though, Alves gives me a clubber lang vibe I cant shake off, gsp might be in trouble.

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 3:07pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Cephalopod View Post
    Alves has some serious technical deficiencies in his defense but if you think GSP has better technical striking than him you need to watch more fights.

And while GSP's wrestling is certainly better overall than Alves, Koschek took GSP down more often than he was able to take down Alves, so I don't think GSP is necessarily going to have an easy time getting Alves to the ground.

I don't think Alves is going to win but you obviously haven't seen much of him and your assessment of his striking is way off.
    I don't think it's a stretch to say the GSP from the BJ Penn fight has better technical boxing skills (head movement, jab accuracy, footwork) than Alves.

However, it's equally clear that Alves kicking technique is cleaner and more powerful.

Middleweight

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    Other than a slight reach advantage, GSP either matches or betters (mostly betters) Alves in just about every area.
    GSP has HUGE reach advantage.

http://forums.cagepotato.com/upcomin...iago-68-a.html

I have found several figures on this the average seems to be 6-8 inches.

(second edit: I just read what I wrote and someone needs to take it out of context STAT!)
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 3:34pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know much about Alves, but from the videos I've seen, it's mostly that Alves has a lot of power, but hardly any technique.
    Which fights of his did you watch? He's kinda sloppy in his first few UFC fights, but his striking gets a lot cleaner in his more recent ones.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GSP has had an advantage of being bigger and stronger than most of his opponents. In the second fight with Hughes (I believe), GSP stated that he cut 20 pounds for this fight. 20 fucking pounds...!!! He was probably 190+ in that fight after hydrating and eating.

I've heard (unconfirmed but plausible) that Alves cuts from close to and/or over 200 to 170. He may probably be larger than GSP in the fight. If GSP can't physically dominate Alves, he may be in trouble.

As someone else already mentioned, the Josh Koscheck fights may be a good tell. Koscheck was able to get GSP down, not so much with Alves. Alves also rocked Koscheck plenty of times while avoiding his takedowns. GSP basically turned that match into a grappling contest.

The other factor is growth. Thiago's fights with Fitch and Fisher show a fighter who would just rush in without thinking and get caught. In his fights since then, he's shown an ability to know when to go for the kill and when the relax and take it easy. GSP, since his Sera fight has been relying on his wrestling to win his fights. He uses it to wear the guy down and then take then out.

GSP hasn't knocked anyone loopy since the second Hughes fight. Alves has been doing more damage with his strikes then GSP has. To me, this could be the x-factor in this fight. If GSP can take Alves down and wear him out on the ground, I believe GSP takes it. If Alves can deliver crushing strikes while avoiding the takedown, its only a matter of time before he takes GSP out.

Math may play a factor as well:

No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - UFC 100 - Mir, Lesnar, GSP, Henderson, Bisping, Akiyama - Jul-11-2009 7pm PT/10pm ET

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 4:42pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    As someone else already mentioned, the Josh Koscheck fights may be a good tell. Koscheck was able to get GSP down, not so much with Alves. Alves also rocked Koscheck plenty of times while avoiding his takedowns. GSP basically turned that match into a grappling contest.
    Didn't Koscheck take the Alves fight on extremely short notice? I'd have a hard time believing that it didn't have an effect on his game.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 6:56pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    I've heard (unconfirmed but plausible) that Alves cuts from close to and/or over 200 to 170. He may probably be larger than GSP in the fight. If GSP can't physically dominate Alves, he may be in trouble.
    I was talking to Alves about a month and a half ago and he said he's usually around 210 depending on what he eats.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Rowsdower!

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 8:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey View Post
    I was talking to Alves about a month and a half ago and he said he's usually around 210 depending on what he eats.
    <spits RC Cola all over the computer monitor in shock and alarm>

Jesus effin' Christmas! How... how is it possible for a human being to cut that much weight without, y'know, dying? Even if Alves is watching what he eats and cuts from around 200, that's still ri-damn-diculous.

Yeesh.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast