You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie101 View Post
    I can sence a lot of agression from you toward me just because I'm a GKR member. From what I can gather all of this comes from how people are missled in the first place and beleive it's moraly wrong for the SDC's to sell in this way, but that's not up to me and, yes, something shoud be done about it. but as I say, I don't work for GKR I use it.
    Frankly, I've never heard of GKR outside of this forum, and maybe in an advert I saw in the jobcenter a few years ago looking for martial arts instructors - no experience necessary - that may or may have not been with the GKR.

Your getting aggression, simply because the amount of cognitive dissonance in your posts makes my head hurt. On the one hand you say yeah there's a problem here, on the other you say I'm just doing what I'm told. Oh by the way I don't work for these guys, I just do a job for them in return for compensation.

I'm sure that after four years of teaching you're probably pretty good at running a class. The problem is that for the first 2 or three you probably were a bit crap. Now that you're ok, you're enabling them to expand the scam as they can now concentrate on moving on. Will you please man up to what you're doing.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 10:36am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    May I ask, do you judge every butterfly before it's hatched ? No disrespect but, although still a young grade I am quite capable and constantly strive to better myself. If you knew how hard I train you'd see the work I put in. just seems a shame no-one sees this an any GKR student.
    Stop please. This whole judging without seeing is BS, it is an escape valve. You admit there are major problems from contact to, the low rank of OTHER instructors teaching. You might be the best GKR teacher in the world but, it doesn't excuse your actions.

That's what is being judged IMO.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 11:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Go-Kan-Ryu & Wado-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

GKR

I'll end it on that there are good and bad points that I either agree or disagree, all I've done is mearly poit these out, obviously quite badly and without good construction.

Yes I'm a GKR Instructor, yes I am aware of what I am in, will I continue.. Yes, I'm on my own journey and will continue to acheive what I set out to acheive regardless, and yes, I am being a selfish Bstd.

I have another question though about Akido and if there are any good schools around the East Yorkshire area?

Liam

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 11:15am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll end it on that there are good and bad points that I either agree or disagree, all I've done is mearly poit these out, obviously quite badly and without good construction.

Yes I'm a GKR Instructor, yes I am aware of what I am in, will I continue.. Yes, I'm on my own journey and will continue to acheive what I set out to acheive regardless, and yes, I am being a selfish Bstd.
    There you go. Like we said, we can judge you on that basis. There are a ton of other instructors, just like you, that help keep it going. Have fun with what you do but, it is very hypocritical for you to talk about the bad, complain about the ranks, and then continue with what you do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 11:17am

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1). Yes, I understand but I'm a high grade that can give good lessons. I def agree with you when it comes to lower grades and I def think that it should only be from brown belt.

2). I don't laugh behind their back neither.

I can sence a lot of agression from you toward me just because I'm a GKR member. From what I can gather all of this comes from how people are missled in the first place and beleive it's moraly wrong for the SDC's to sell in this way, but that's not up to me and, yes, something shoud be done about it. but as I say, I don't work for GKR I use it.

May I ask, do you judge every butterfly before it's hatched ? No disrespect but, although still a young grade I am quite capable and constantly strive to better myself. If you knew how hard I train you'd see the work I put in. just seems a shame no-one sees this an any GKR student.
    Sorry to seem to be dogging this point , but can you see the contradiction here ?
    I've got no problem with higher kyu grades assisting an instructor (hell that's how i started) , and i know you've said that you're open about your actual grade (though you still wear the b/w belt) but how can you teach any system without knowing all the basic syllabus?
    Also i can't understand how you can admit to having a problem with how gkr is sold , but continue to work for them.
    My honest advice is to drop gkr and continue with you stated aim of gaining your dan grade i Wado , unless you enjoy being sensie too much that is.

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 11:19am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being involved in pyramid selling is hardly selfish, quite the opposite.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 1:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough point, I suppose it all comes down to sales at the end of the day and being driven by commission can only have bad implications.
    The nature of the beast. The karate is a by-product. We could be talking about non-stick pans instead of non-contact karate.

Something tells me you either know this person or you've heared a lot about them?
    Aye. The game's afoot!
    No. It would be strange if I had spent all this time researching R31 and didn't know/know of JD, right?
    Another reason I had to be very discreet on Sunday ;-)

Again,I gues the general aspect of sales if focusing on Karate is it's own form of self defence, otherwise what's the point of learing how to block and counter.
    Liam... you're learning to block and counter single, pre-arranged telegraphed attacks from fellow karate-ka.
    You're not learning how some meathead will attack you on a Saturday night. Unless that meathead is also a karate guy and announces 'jodan' before lunge punching you...

Quote Originally Posted by bassai View Post
    Sparkie , you do realize that gkr insurance is for no contact , so if you do get injured you've got no cover ?
    Ahhh, the murky waters of GKR insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Heltern View Post
    No, you would be covered by the insurance. The Dojo pays less for the insurance if you do no contact sparring (rates are lower).
    murkier

Quote Originally Posted by honesty View Post
    I don't think so. From what I've seen the insurance you receive through being a member of the GKR is a pretty standard 3rd party liability insurance coverage. That is you are not covered for injuries to yourself, but a 3rd party is covered by injuries done to them by a holder of the insurance. 3rd party would be a member of the public, not another GKR student. This is the absolute minimum required for insurance by UK law if I remember correctly...
    clearer
    The 'fault-based' insurance of GKR is confusing. I emailed GKR's info address to get some clarification. I may have posted portions of this previously, but as the insurance has come up again and is proving worthy of debate:
    Q= Me A=Jason Wright, GKR

Q1)
    If the accident is down to my negligence and the only person injured is me, GKR wouldn't cover me?
    A1) Yes
    (he means yes, GKR wouldn't cover me)

Q2) what if I was accidentally injured during kumite/sparring? As GKR is non-contact, would that render the claim void?
    A2) No non contact means no deliberate contact, with all karate there will always be contact. For example you can not block without making contact. Any injury you sustain form sparring if inflicted by a fellow student is a basis for cover

Q3) I'm guessing if I simply tripped over my own poorly-tied belt - Not covered?
    What if I tripped over a fixture in the training location?
    Might that be covered if it wasn't my fault?
    Or, if I simply wasn't paying attention to where I was walking - not covered? I understand that we all have a duty of care to each-other and ourselves while training.
    A3)
    tripping on your own belt not covered - tripping on a fixture is a basis for a claim which would be determined by the insurance company - Your final statement: again if your not paying attention and the accident could have been avoided if you were paying attention, I doubt the insurance company would entertain a claim.

I have another question though about Akido and if there are any good schools around the East Yorkshire area?
    Liam, I'd recommend you start a thread in newbietown (the introduction forum) and title it something like "Looking for Aikido in East Yorkshire".
    You'll probably then be told that judo's better than aikido.
    We're a helpful bunch.
    If you're really set on Aikido, I'll PM my old sensei and ask him if there's anyone he'd recommend north of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    Being involved in pyramid selling is hardly selfish, quite the opposite.
    LOL. Nice.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 4:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bassai View Post
    Sorry to seem to be dogging this point , but can you see the contradiction here ?
    I've got no problem with higher kyu grades assisting an instructor (hell that's how i started) , and i know you've said that you're open about your actual grade (though you still wear the b/w belt) but how can you teach any system without knowing all the basic syllabus?
    Bassai, Brown belt IS a high grade for most GKR "sensei" so to me its natural for Sparkie 101 to believe himself to be in a legitimate position to teach. I think in the culture of GKR, brown is built up to be something its not. The mistique of the BB is how the RS keeps himself aloof and keeps the punters paying. Its hard to explain (i'm doing a S**t job) but GKR students will understand when I say the system is based around chasing the next belt rather than actual development. This is great for GKR because together with the minimum lesson requirements to grade, students concentrate on x amount of lessons and not ataining real improvements in their Karate. Often attending lots on expensive lessons with the hallowed BB at the end. Put simply Sparkie 101 speaks of his 2nd dan RS with respect and i'm sure he is handy but I pay half as much as when I was with GKR and get an instructor at 4th dan level- without all the macho BS of my old GKR RS.

Sochin 101... My experiences of R22 RS are of a male chauvenist and have seen him smack female students on the ass during class. His attitude to women is that he likes to surround himself with them- his inner circle of "sensei" are all female. Not sure if this is a valid critisism of GKR or of the guy. However GKR allow this to go on so i'll blame GKR anyway.

Sochin 101, (again) I think I didnt explain my point The "sensei" that has a criminal record explained himself to the RS and he has let it slide. His conviction was for assault.

Sparkie 101, serious question- what made you take up Goju? Not making any asumptions, just interested.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 9:51pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xXMADDIEXx View Post
    Bassai, Brown belt IS a high grade for most GKR "sensei" so to me its natural for Sparkie 101 to believe himself to be in a legitimate position to teach.
    His words state differnetly. His words say it isn't well enough for anyone else but me because, I have a rank from another art.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 4:10am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xXMADDIEXx View Post
    Sochin 101... My experiences of R22 RS are of a male chauvenist and have seen him smack female students on the ass during class. His attitude to women is that he likes to surround himself with them- his inner circle of "sensei" are all female. Not sure if this is a valid critisism of GKR or of the guy. However GKR allow this to go on so i'll blame GKR anyway.

Not surprising, power tripping as being higher in the pyramid is a big ego power trip thing, I realised a long time ago by black belts and the certs werent worth anything in reality, the only thing that 'mattered' was what I did on the mat, assigned 'grade' is meaningless, unless of course you think it's cool....
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast