Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 3:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Are you of the opinion that "Black belt" classes offer contact but "normal" classes are non-contact because:

"normal" classes are being run by lower ranked and lesser qualified instructors that don't possess enough control themselves to be able to teach other students how to control the contact?

I've been told in the past things like the instructors like to show off, compare dicks etc, establish pecking order.

I'll canvas a few opinions.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 3:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GKR have been advertising in job Centres since at least 2006. I thought this was common knowledge, somehow...

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 4:01pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DO their insurers know that inexperienced mudansha are running the majority of classes?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 4:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep View Post
    GKR have been advertising in job Centres since at least 2006. I thought this was common knowledge, somehow...
    Quite.
    However, it is nice (in every sense of the word) to have actual real black and white tangible evidence.

We've had web links before, but the Job Centre take them down after so long.
    I have screen caps of an Australian GKR job advert, but this was the first UK one I've seen 'first hand'.

Also the first one I've seen since the pay structure changed.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 4:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I know someone on the dole so if you want examples from East London, I can gladly provide them. Similar evidence can be found as far south and west as Winchester and Southampton. i suspect they're really pushing to develop a nationwide franchise here.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 4:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    DO their insurers know that inexperienced mudansha are running the majority of classes?
    This is the company that underwrites the GKR insurance.
    http://www.qbe.com.au/Insurance.html

GKR's insurance is another good example of confusing ambiguity.
    The insurance company seems to have minimal risk because GKR insurance doesn't really seem to cover that much...

It's fault-based. When I asked what was covered by GKR insurance, I was told:

Hi Alan,
    If you were to injure yourself due to your own action's GKR insurance would not cover you. In other words GKR insurance is not a personal accident policy. If you were injured by a fellow student while training, you would be covered under the GKR policy. If you were to trip,it would depend on how the insurance company view the accident as it could be a public liability claim (covered by GKR), or if it deemed your own fault it would come under a personal policy (not GKR based).

You will find many clubs that sell personal injury policies, but I urge you to read the fine print as many don't start until 5-6 weeks after the accident and or will only pay out a maximum of 350 per week for a 6 month period etc. The reason we don't offer a personal injury policy through the club is because you can get a far better policy via your own means, many who do house insurance will provide good quality personal policies. in the end though, when it comes to insurance claims, nothing is a given as many companies will try anything to avoid paying out on a claim. finally I can assure you that GKR will always do the right thing if a student is injured.

Regards,

Jason Wright
    GKR karate UK

So, the compulsory GKR insurance covers very little, and the recommendation is that a student should take out their own insurance in addition to the GKR one.

Gandhi

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 4:35pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats pretty much how we are insured, except we provide a personal policy as well to the students, from the same people that provide our instructor insurance. My instructor insurance has my rank on it, and that would seem sensible, it may not mean a lot in reality, but at least shows some level of experience. Now if I was doing something and someone got hurt, I can at least demonstrate I'm not a noob.

Maybe it adds another reason for it being watered down crap, tell the 'instructor' to only teach x,y,z, then make sure they know it well enough to parrot it to the class.

I guess the insurance company won't care as long as they don't get a lot claims.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 4:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep View Post
    Well, I know someone on the dole so if you want examples from East London, I can gladly provide them. Similar evidence can be found as far south and west as Winchester and Southampton. i suspect they're really pushing to develop a nationwide franchise here.
    Thanks. If your friend can get any info, it would be appreciated. Different RM's promise different things.
    As for the franchise, I don't think your area's well represented. Yet.

Gandhi

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 4:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    As for the franchise, I don't think your area's well represented. Yet.
    By 'Here' I meant the whole of the UK. The push is strong thought. A trip to Company House might be in order.

Anyway, here are some job adds aiming to recruit for UK McDojos:

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/deta...d=1&j=COT/6299

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/deta...d=1&j=COT/6495

A few GKR online ads:

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/deta...=1&j=NOI/33389

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/deta...d=1&j=WLC/6045

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/deta...=1&j=ROI/69058

And a GKR ad for a job with comission:

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/deta...=1&j=EAV/16849

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 5:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    Thats pretty much how we are insured, except we provide a personal policy as well to the students,
    That's the difference. You provide a policy for accidents and mishaps.
    Noobs tend to do stuff like fall over or lose their balance while kicking etc... I've never visited a GKR class that's had the luxury of mats on the floor, and a lot of the training locations are church halls, sports halls etc, so we're not talking about a traditional sprung wooden floor with its forgiving bounce. We're talking tiles on concrete.
    If a student were to have the misfortune to take a header on that and get injured and it's deemed to be their own fault, then they wouldn't covered.

Gandhi

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast