• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 9:40pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

In this thread, you tell me why my kettlebell workout sucks!

Only had the thing for a few weeks now, and here's what I'm doing. One minute rest in between each set.

Two-arm swings x 20
    Leg-over floor press x 20 each arm
    Single-arm swings x 20 each arm
    Standing military press x 20 each arm
    Two-arm swings x 20
    Oblique leans, 1 minute each arm

What should stay, what should go, what should get added? I've heard that you can never do too many swings.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 11:49pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well for one thing you basically aren't using your legs. Also, where's the squats? The briefcase deadlift? The clean and press? The snatch? The pistols? The single-leg Romanian deadlifts? The Bulgarian Squats? The Turkish Get-Ups? The elephant walk? The renegade row?

I don't think I can think of any more kettlebell moves off the top of my head... Did I miss any?
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/10/2009 5:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also: Windmills, rows, juggles, around-the-torsos, figure-eights, halos, etc
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 10:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What weight are you using? Just curious. Those reps look pretty high to me.

How many times do you complete that circuit?

And I agree with Socratic, you need to throw in some legs somewhere. Lunges, pistols, squats, something.

Man I miss kettle bells. I've really got to get back into that.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 6:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what your goals are, or what weights you have access to, but typically you do the explosive lifts for high reps, and the grinding movements for low rep strength development (Pavel recommends <5).

Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    Well for one thing you basically aren't using your legs.
    He's doing 80 swings per workout. That's a lot of leg work, it's just hip dominate leg work.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 7:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin View Post
    He's doing 80 swings per workout. That's a lot of leg work, it's just hip dominate leg work.
    That's a good point. I should have said 'legs in isolation from the rest of your body' or something.

I forgot Bulgarian split squats. And weighted knee jumps. And weighted step ups.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 7:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    That's a good point. I should have said 'legs in isolation from the rest of your body' or something.

I forgot Bulgarian split squats. And weighted knee jumps. And weighted step ups.
    I don't think that any of those you listed are isolation exercises (how the hell do you even do leg isolation exercises with a kettlebell?), but I agree he might want to throw some quad dominate moves in there like the split squats or pistols.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Until you've had the thing for 6 months, swings and Turkish Get-Ups are all you should focus on. They will set the foundation for expanding into other kettlebell exercises. My first year with my kettlebell, all I did were TGUs, swings, cleans and jerks.

Swing can be made harder by trying different ****. One arm swings, DARC swings and about face swings. TGU variations could include plank TGUs, lunge TGUs, deep squat TGUs and bottoms up TGUs. Yeah, it gets boring, but it's better than half-assing a ton of different exercises.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 3:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin View Post
    I don't think that any of those you listed are isolation exercises (how the hell do you even do leg isolation exercises with a kettlebell?), but I agree he might want to throw some quad dominate moves in there like the split squats or pistols.
    That's what I meant, a quad dominant leg exercise. I have a habit of thinking 'leg = quad'. You'd be getting a fair amount of glute activation from the swings and whatnot, wouldn't you? I suppose more is better though when it comes to something that underused by your average person.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 6:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi, silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I had kettlebell I always found the snatch and clean and jerk the most effective exercises for me.