Page 4 of 4 First 1234

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Fields View Post
    Focus on both, but remember that "rolling" is a drill, just a free drill. Yet should be directed. IE you should have a goal in mind. On occasion take whatever comes your way, but the bulk of your rolling should have a direction.

Aaron
    Just curious, what do you mean by "directed?"

i would say i mostly "free" roll. My goal changes with each position.

When i first started out i would focus on specific aspects on my game. But i don't really "focus" anymore.

idk

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a white belt I felt like I progressed the most when I was drilling things that I didn't have a good handle on. Mainly working off my back in guard. It was so foreign to me, I had to drill everything multiple times until I got used to it. Now it's mostly just an equal balance between the two, with me drilling something that I don't feel I quite grasped during the time that the instructor was teaching it.

When I'm free rolling, it depends totally on who I'm rolling with. If it's a somebody better, somebody less experienced, somebody far bigger, somebody far smaller, etc, I'll work on whatever suits the situation.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think people should tell their rolling partners that they are going to do something,

Example, recently I've been working on a sweep, I just try and use it every single time I have him in Open, close, spider guard...

Page 4 of 4 First 1234