Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gergus View Post
    firstly you have to understand you arent rolling as such,

one move consists of one move so for example:-

my move:- right hand grips inside collar, left hand grips sleve
    partner move:- pulls guard holds sleve and collar
    me:-change grip from sleve to hip and try to stand (fail so i have to stay down not try again)
    partner:- moves to open guard looses grip on sleve (carn't adjust already moved)
    me:- hips forward and stack his guard
    and so on......

the idea is that one move consists of any moves done in one fluid movement. our black belt can sub people in about 5 moves were as it takes the rest of us about 30.
    what it taught me is the number of times you forget about a body part, we call it jazz hands, because you end a move with a hand in mid air doing nothing.

i'll try to film some of our training to show it more clearly.

does this help at all, like i said it can be hard to explain
    That makes it a lot clearer. So there are not set rules, per se. It is more of an understanding between the people. The video helped a lot. I'm going to try this tonight and then I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 2:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    That makes it a lot clearer. So there are not set rules, per se. It is more of an understanding between the people. The video helped a lot. I'm going to try this tonight and then I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!!
    yes in fact you are relying on your partner to tell you if you cheat by using two movments.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 6:38am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, we did this drill last night. It was really fun. Everyone liked it. We did it no gi, but what I noticed was that is made the rolling a lot slower and technical, the way it is with a gi on. Like the fact that you are stopping after your move means that you are not able to muscle or slip out of techniques.

I also noticed that it made more equal ground when the two people are different sizes. The smaller guy had more of a chance to pull of techniques.

Over all, I loved the drill and we will be doing it again! Thanks!

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 8:34am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The videos help a lot. Thanks for the new (to me) idea for training.

I had striking class last night and didn't get any roll time, but I'll be adding this in to my open mat session tomorrow.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 8:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i believe all moves need to be drilled even moves you learned when you were just starting out.I still go back and drill armbars from closed guard as well as the tech's i am learning new everyday.In my opinion you need an equal combination of drill/roll/flow roll. BJJ is a neverending journey which leaves plenty of time to train all aspects.Just my opinion

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 1:55am

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found a lot of benefit in doing the chess variation of rolling, doing technique where resistance is upped as we go and of course, using unrestricted and restricted rolling (restricted in the sense that the goal is to get a particular position on the opponent; example would be starting in the op's guard and having to get their back to 'end' it; or starting in guard and having to get the sweep and hitting side control).

My school's format is 60-90 minutes of sparring without restriction, 30 minutes of repetition technique with increasing resistance and another 30-60 minutes of restricted sparring...generally.

Having said all that; a good start seems to be 50/50.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 7:17am

Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drilling and rolling are crucial to learning new moves but grappling is a lot more than just moves.

The most important skills i have over guys who are less experienced than me are that I have a feel for where my opponents balance is and where there legs/arms are, etc. This can only be gained through rolling and is much more important than any one specific "move". This leads me into moves without me planning them.

This is what i think they mean when they say "there are no moves".

You don't need to be at a ridiculously high level to achieve this. It just comes from doing a lot of rolling.

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 5:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throwing in "situational rolling" is great also. Start in a specific position to work the moves you want to and limit your options. For instance, if you wanted to train a specific guard pass, have your partner place you in guard and agree that you are going to concentrate on the pass. Your partner should also agree to limit his reactions to your move to allow you to work that move - in this case maybe one specific sweep or they could concentrate on a technique to re-gain their guard. When you switch, you will gain the additional perspective of seeing what works or does not work against the particular move you were training. Feedback with your partner on what they think felt like was working or not is also key. I have been training BJJ for about as long as you and really like this approach for certain positions.

Posted On:
    9/17/2009 8:53am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drilling and drilling a technique after learning it with your opponent upping the resistance little by little are great.

One very practical thing I see way too little of is how about during live rolling in class going for the technique you learned that day? Too many times I see technique, then people revert back to their base game in rolling. That keeps you from getting tapped, but really sucks in expanding out your game.

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 12:12pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Focus on both, but remember that "rolling" is a drill, just a free drill. Yet should be directed. IE you should have a goal in mind. On occasion take whatever comes your way, but the bulk of your rolling should have a direction.

Aaron
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast