Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2004 12:30pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cardio; is this enough?

ok, so I've started going to a boxing Gym recently, and I'm planning on entering states TKD competition this year. Olympic isn't much on realism, but it can be fun, the only thing is, you have to have incredible stamina to place (entered about 2 years ago and placed third.... and I thought I was in really good shape)

Anyway, here is my general routine. I jog/run about 2-3 miles a day (depends on how I feel that day). At the Gym and at home I do about four 3 minute segments on the heavy bag (two and a half if I'm kicking it) and about five minutes skipping rope.

Thats what I do everydeay, not just at the Gym or Dojang. I'm not accounting for sparring, speedbag, etc.

The thing I'm worried about is that I'm pacing myself too much though, I'm just kinda lazy like that. Even when I do my heavy bag segments I fall into a rhythm, instead of just seriously pushing myself.

Any sugguestions? I've thought about going down to the college track and doing daily sprints everyday, any other sugguestions?
    Last edited by Shug; 2/06/2004 2:35pm at .

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    2/06/2004 12:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MORE bag work A LOT more, you need min. 20 min on the bag, and that does NOT include the warm up rounds.
    More sparring. min. 6- 3min. rounds.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2004 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by ronin69
    MORE bag work A LOT more, you need min. 20 min on the bag, and that does NOT include the warm up rounds.
    More sparring. min. 6- 3min. rounds.
    In addition to the above I would add 1 long run a week and continually increase the long run mileage every week. Until about a month before the tournament.

I wouldn't do the track work outs. Track work outs are like bag work for running. If you're going to run a road race then do track workouts, they'll make you faster. You're gonna be fighting so hit the bag.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2004 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool, thanks guys, and I'll definately focus on building up endurance for my bagwork.

Death Dealer

Posted On:
    2/10/2004 2:51am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I have sort of a related question...
    I am preparing for a tournament in Montreal, and I've been trying to decide what would be the best approach to building up my endurance. I've been going to the gym regularly, running and hitting the heavy bag along with weight lifting, but I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to ask the instructors in my dojo to fight me, one after another, until I can't manage it anymore, pretty regularly. Fighting when I'm tired is definitely something I need to work on, and while running and hitting the bag do increase my endurance, nothing quite compares to fighting. (The heavy bag doesn't hit back, etc.) My teachers would be amenable, I'm sure, but I'm not certain if this would accomplish anything. Any ideas?
    We are Kyokushin. We fight. And sometimes we do kata.

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    2/10/2004 3:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes all of that running is just mindless joint trauma. Remember that you're a fighter, not a track star. Make sure you mix in the proper amounts of aerobic and anaerobic excercise for combat sports.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2004 8:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you realize that you can always grab a student and work on drills focussing on countering.

Your opponant doesn't have to have to be that incredibly experianced to develop better habbits, its training not an actual fight. 5 minute sparring rounds, with someone who can keep up at your level (I have no idea what level you're at) can just as well prepare you for competition, and better help condition you to the consistancey of movement you have to keep up. If you push yourself too hard, you could end up injuring yourself..... which would put a damper on your conditioning

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    2/10/2004 9:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the most gruelling training methods is the "multipe person sparring"
    Start with 5 and work your way up to 10 or even 20 ( the 50 and 100 man of the kyokushinkai is done over a period of hours).
    A minimum of 3 min. each person, the level of contact is what ever you need it to be, non-stop one after the other.
    This can also be incorporated into grappling ( we did it in judo and it was great).

Posted On:
    2/10/2004 9:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we do it at judo sometimes, and the opponent will switch when you get a waza-ari score or ippon on them.... it is v.good

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2004 10:03am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MULTIPLE SPARRING

Ronin is right on the money. All the clubs I've trained at have incorporated multiple person sparring, especially when someone is getting ready for a tournament or important match.

It does absolute wonders for your cardio.

BEING LAZY

I can absolutely sympathise with Shug. It's hard to find a lazier man than me. I hate cardio. I hate it. Waste of time. Feels as if my muscles are falling off. Makes you sweaty. Would rather be watching TV.

Multiple-person sparring fixes that. Fighting people is fun, and this sort of thing really fires your competitive instincts, resulting in a harder work-out, and with more relevant movements.

RUNNING

Yo momma. :)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast