Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 4:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido,Jujistu,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting my weight down

I decided when I got back to school for summer quarter, I'd get my weight back down to 160. I'm currently 5'9" and weight 193 pounds.

I changed my diet completely, Changed my sleeping habits, and I started doing Judo 3x a week for 2 to 2:30 hours a week.

after the first 2 weeks, I've already lost 12 pounds - I weighted myself yesterday at 181 lbs.

Can a judoka get some love?

I was thinking about doing stronglifts 5x5 on my off days, but i'm wondering if that'll do any good since I'm only intaking 800-1200 calories a day. Most of it is chicken or pasta and veggies. I don't think I'm going to gain any muscle mass with such a calorie defecit.

Any suggestions on how to increase my weight loss or should I just keep doing what I'm doing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 5:27pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stronglifts is fantastic but doing it on a calorie deficit for me was a no no. I'm 80ish kg and once I started squatting over 90kg I found it really hard if not impossible to move up in weight until I started eating a whole lot more. Recovery was harder too.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 5:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snwbrdngpoo View Post
    I'm only intaking 800-1200 calories a day.
    Does this strike anyone else as being too low, given the OP's level of physical activity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 6:42pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, 1200 is way too low.

Here's a calorie calculator, pick a weight and stick to it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/paul1.htm

It will also tell you how many g's of carbs, protein and fat you should take in.

Reducing your caloric intake that much will screw up your weight loss and at the same time, given a few weeks, will make you feel weaker and weaker.

160 lbs =

Calories: 2649
    Protein: 94
    Carbs: 435
    Fat: 59

Get to it.

Edit: I'm noticing people getting on these super low calorie diets more and more. Are you trying to just shed off all the muscle you were carrying at your original weight or do you honestly think you're going to consistently lose more than 2 lbs a week in a 'healthy' manner?

Edit of edit: Yes, it's an article on bodybuilding.com about why you should drink milk; before anyone brings in the whole 'OMG MILK IS BAD FOR YOU DEBATE' - leave it alone. No one cares, especially me. I posted it solely for the calorie calculator.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 8:21pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least when the OP dies of a sugar low his body won't be too heavy to carry?

Seriously dude, 800 calories? Eat a sammich, damn.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 8:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good rule of thumb is your weight in lbs. x 10 = # of calories per day to maintain your current weight.

So for you 1810 calories a day to maintain your 181 lbs. Doing judo three times a week and other activities I wouldn't recommend going below 1500 calories per day. Keep in mind that 2-3 lbs. per week is considered the optimal healthy rate of weight loss.

Yojimbo, I think your calorie calculator is for someone who is already in shape with a very low BMI. It tells me that I need almost 4000 calories per day and if I ate that much I would end up over 300 lbs of fatness by the end of the year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 8:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That calculation was for maintaining 160 lbs.

Here's another calculator where you can factor in age, height and level of exercise.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

It gave similar caloric results based on the information he gave, the thing that made the biggest difference was his age, which I'm unsure of. The difference was 300 calories from the original.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 9:04pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it feels like you are really suffering to lose all the weight, but you don't have to and it won't work in the long run. A lot of the weight you are losing is muscle mass, so forget about gaining muscle.

At the calorie intake you are currently using, your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows down. That means that when you get to the 160 and start eating 2500 calories a day (which is what you should be eating now) your body will be packing on the fat like crazy, so it can prepare for the next starvation period, plus it still won't want to put on muscle.

So now I will quote socratic "Eat a sammich, damn."

Damn, indeed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 9:24pm

Style: Boxing, Beginner BJJ,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I manage a diet that works well for me. I concentrate on high protein, low carb, low fat.

Calories: 1,584
    Carbs: 26g
    Protein: 331g
    Fat: 10g

I maintain high energy levels, I feel great- and best of all I've been shedding fat and gaining muscle.

If you want the diet just shoot me a PM :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 9:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
    I manage a diet that works well for me. I concentrate on high protein, low carb, low fat.

Calories: 1,584
    Carbs: 26g
    Protein: 331g
    Fat: 10g

I maintain high energy levels, I feel great- and best of all I've been shedding fat and gaining muscle.

If you want the diet just shoot me a PM :)
    How long have you been on it, how tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Having been on an extremely low carb diet for an extended period of time, I recall having absolutely no energy and seeing that yours is also low on fat, I have a hard tim believing you feel great if you've been on it more than 2 weeks. I'm not saying you're lying, far from it, I'm just assuming you're either really short or happen to be eating a miracle food, because everyone else I know, including myself, that's done a diet like this and continued with a high level of physical activity has been miserable.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast