Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 3:32pm

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Success with Chin Ups

Ok I just wanted to thank you guys for hooking me up with the info I needed to start doing chinups again.

I had mentioned in the last thread I made about not being able to do chinups anymore (well I could manage 1 instead of the consecutive 6 I was able to do as a teen) as I had gotten too chubby (I'm still not 'fat' or look it but was officially overweight) to handle them anymore.

You guys suggested I do negatives or grease the groove to be able to get back into them.

I wanted to report success on two fronts. One: I lost about 10 pounds recently due to watching what and when I eat more. I was already exercising so changing the diet a bit helped a TON!

The lost weight helped me gain some more "umph" on the chinup. I was able to do 1.5 chinups instead of just one really really sloppy one. Then I started doing negatives. I started with 5 and moved to doing 10 negatives. After about 2 weeks of negatives I was able to do 2 perfect consecutive chinups.

Now I have moved on to greasing the groove. Whenever I pass by my bathroom hallway (where my bar is) I do 2 chinups. I am doing about 6-8 a day now. Hopefully that will help me get back to doing more consecutive chinups.

My goal now is to hit the double digits in reps. Thanks so much peeps :)

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 4:31pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good for you. I started from zero in 2006 and went from that to 12 in 6 months of just basically greasing the groove.

Recently, just before my shoulder injuries upped this to 20.

One thing I learned on the way (which has been repeated here often) -- train the other muscles too. Doing just chin/pull ups will **** up your muscle balance and posture and will cause all sorts of nasty pains and troubles. It's not fun, trust me. I've been there.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 5:39pm

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup yup, it's all part of my own training program I am working with. Basically I am going to have an insane schedule this fall semester, so I am trying now to get a routine I can follow every other day during that time. I don't want to slack off because my life gets hectic.

I'm doing chin ups, dead lifts, dips, push ups, situps/crunches, body weight squats and some simple bicep curls. For cardio I'm swimming when I'm not walk/jogging my dog or playing tug with him. When I can get to the gym I'm going to try to get into squats bench presses and good mornings again (used to do these at my parents' home gym). I don't even want to know how badly out of it I am on those exercises I haven't done them in years.

poser

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 8:14pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats, man. And keep up the good work.

hpr, I imagine doing full-body motions like squats, bench/overhead presses, deadlifts, etc would cover those imbalances. that is, if he follows through like he says he will :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 9:05pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's an alternative idea if you get tired of doing the same exercise: try holding your trunk parallel to the ground with your knees tucked in while hanging from the bar. You can cheat a bit in this position if you pull your upper body towards the bar while keeping your feet at a constant height to the ground (another way to grease the groove).

If you pull your feet up with your body, you end up working most of your core muscles.

When youre ready, try inverted pullups. Head down, feet up, bang your butt on the bar. You'll know you're a pull up wiz when you can do this with good posture: back and neck in a line with your feet straight up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome!!! Chin ups are a tough workout. I lost about 90% on mine. Plan on getting it back. What I did that helped was a lot of bicep curls and back rows. I don't even know what my max number was before. I could do them 1 handed though.

Once I started working, I did not have time for any working out and I lost about 50% of my strength along with 15 pounds (approx 12% of my weight). I don't see the point in working any more. I don't get to use the money I earn cause I have no time to do anything and I am slowly wasting away while I am there.