And the award goes to........

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 12:45am

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp View Post
    If I ever have kids, they are going to start young.
    June 18th, I took my 4.5 year old to the range for the first time. Quote,"THIS IS AWESOME, THIS IS AWESOME, THIS IS SOOOO AWESOME!!!" and " I WANT TO SHOOT AGAIN, MAY I SHOOT AGAIN, LET ME SHOOT AGAIN!!!" All caps 'cause he was loud.

Teach 'em young.

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 8:27am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first firearms safety lesson came at the age of 5, from my grandfather. I pointed a toy pistol at him, and in the one and only time I ever heard him raise his voice (he was a huge man - he never had a need to get loud) he proceeded to instruct me on the basics of firearm safety.

He was also the guy who helped me make toy wooden guns and crossbows, thus completing the circle of life.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 8:51am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by white_kimbo View Post
    i just got back home from teaching archery at a jewish day camp. none of the kids or full time counselors had ever shot before. i was expecting to have to go over safety for about 20 mins and shoot for an hour. instead we had to go over safety for 45 minutes before we could just start shooting. even the adult counselors couldn't figure out not to draw a bow unless it's pointed at a target.

even after we were starting, another counselor started a potato sack race behind our targets. when i asked her to move, she said "it's alright, the targets are blocking us"

i'm actually really glad i did this today, because otherwise, the kids would have never gotten any safety instruction with weapons.

over all the day turned out fine, nobody got hurt or shot, the single hassidic women got some eye candy (me, the hassidic badboy of west county) and the kids did start hitting the targets with accuracy and consistancy.

so yes, to any parents out there, 10 years old is more than old enough to start shooting air rifles and bows. plus, they will carry the safety lessons with them for life.
    This is what happens to a community that exports all of its gun nuts to the holy land. Nothing makes me more nervous than Woody Allen with an Autoshot.

We have had a rule in my house since KK could walk: never point anything that even looks like a gun at a person. You never know what you might have in your hands.

I got rid of all of my guns when he was born.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 9:15am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve View Post
    I started archery at 8... Unfortunately though my parents bought me a toy bow and arrow after my first instruction in the scouts... they were still made out of wood in those days. I proceeded to take the rubber tips off the arrows and shot my sister in the head... yeah. I got a whipping and a grounding... and I felt terrible because it left a massive bruise on her forehead. I also had walked up to her and did it execution style. After that, I never felt tempted to shoot another person again.

So yeah... supervised use of weapons at that age is a good idea :) Because kids will be kids (dumb).
    i guess i'm as sick as you are, because that's fucking hilarious.

i don't know how i'd handle it if my son did something like that to my daughter. it'd be hard to trust a kid who did something like that with any sharp objects... damien, come out to play-ay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 10:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    I got rid of all of my guns when he was born.
    You had firearms? Total curiosity, what models and makers?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 12:00pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thinking about this, thread last night. Years and years ago, before Dunblane, guns for certain purposes (sports shooting etc.) were legal in the UK. My friend's dad was into shooting and we knew he had guns under lock and key. He taught his kids *very* vigorously about gun safety...

My brother was over playing with their youngest (they were in the same grade in school, maybe 11 or 12 years old) and he was on the phone to me asking about getting picked up for dinner. Suddenly he drops the phone and starts screaming and his mate picks it up..."I just shot your brother in the head, but don't tell your mum..."

No ****.

So, I am of course screaming for my mum at this point (I was 15 or 16 I guess). She races over there fearing the worst, but it turns out it was a BB gun. Thank ****. They'd been shooting cans and gone out for soda or ice cream or something. Got back to the kids house, and assuming it's unloaded, my brother's mate grabs it, points it and pulls the trigger.

Thankfully the pellet hit him at the hair line, flattened on his skull and slid under his scalp. The X-rays look like it's *in* his head, but a couple of different angles and they figured it out. Fished it out with forceps under local anesthetic.

Needless-to-say my brother didn't get to play at this friends' again. And from what i hear the kid received a hiding to whip all hidings.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 12:23pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nohero View Post
    i guess i'm as sick as you are, because that's fucking hilarious.

i don't know how i'd handle it if my son did something like that to my daughter. it'd be hard to trust a kid who did something like that with any sharp objects... damien, come out to play-ay.
    I shot my sister with a bb gun at very far range on accident. I didn't notice that she had moved from the swings to behind my target.

My grandma took the weapon and started pumping it. I looked at her and she said "You better start running." I never even considered shooting it at anyone again.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 12:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadUglyMagic View Post
    You had firearms? Total curiosity, what models and makers?
    Ruger 10/22 rifle with a high capacity clip, and Firestar M40 .40 autopistol. I had a shitload of Black Talon and Golden Sabre .40 that I gave away.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 12:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tideliar View Post
    Thinking about this, thread last night. Years and years ago, before Dunblane, guns for certain purposes (sports shooting etc.) were legal in the UK. My friend's dad was into shooting and we knew he had guns under lock and key. He taught his kids *very* vigorously about gun safety....
    Dunblane to Memphis?

With "very vigorous" (and therefore assuming ongoing) safety training, one must assume he shot your brother on purpose.
    Last edited by BadUglyMagic; 7/08/2009 12:39pm at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast