Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

this is why you teach your kids about weapons

i just got back home from teaching archery at a jewish day camp. none of the kids or full time counselors had ever shot before. i was expecting to have to go over safety for about 20 mins and shoot for an hour. instead we had to go over safety for 45 minutes before we could just start shooting. even the adult counselors couldn't figure out not to draw a bow unless it's pointed at a target.

even after we were starting, another counselor started a potato sack race behind our targets. when i asked her to move, she said "it's alright, the targets are blocking us"

i'm actually really glad i did this today, because otherwise, the kids would have never gotten any safety instruction with weapons.

over all the day turned out fine, nobody got hurt or shot, the single hassidic women got some eye candy (me, the hassidic badboy of west county) and the kids did start hitting the targets with accuracy and consistancy.

so yes, to any parents out there, 10 years old is more than old enough to start shooting air rifles and bows. plus, they will carry the safety lessons with them for life.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 3:24pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by white_kimbo View Post
    so yes, to any parents out there, 10 years old is more than old enough to start shooting air rifles and bows. plus, they will carry the safety lessons with them for life.
    Hehe, last summer I was at a bbq thing with things to do, one of them was laser shotgun clay shooting things, the barrel was blocked up with lasers and battery packs, but they were 'real' shotguns, I still observed safety with it regarding those around me and kept wanting to break the barrel when it wasn't in use.

Ironically I couldn't shoot for ****, and the guy running it noticed I had shot before as soon as I shouldered it, said it was normal to miss, because it wasn't real, it doesnt work normally. Clay shooting LARPing I guess.

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 3:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've seen the laser tag version of clay shoots before. they suck big time.

and i feel you on the safety with the toy guns. i do the same thing.
    --------

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 3:45pm

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started archery at 8... Unfortunately though my parents bought me a toy bow and arrow after my first instruction in the scouts... they were still made out of wood in those days. I proceeded to take the rubber tips off the arrows and shot my sister in the head... yeah. I got a whipping and a grounding... and I felt terrible because it left a massive bruise on her forehead. I also had walked up to her and did it execution style. After that, I never felt tempted to shoot another person again.

So yeah... supervised use of weapons at that age is a good idea :) Because kids will be kids (dumb).

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 3:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my dad taught me with a browning .22 LR when i was in kindergarten. his words "if you're old enough to read, you're old enough to shoot a gun. just make sure it's a children's gun and not a grown up's gun."
    --------

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 3:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did archery for a little while when I was a kid. While totally trying to hit the target I managed to put an arrow into the ceiling at the local range. I bet it's still there!

Good times, good times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 4:05pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    even the adult counselors couldn't figure out not to draw a bow unless it's pointed at a target.

even after we were starting, another counselor started a potato sack race behind our targets. when i asked her to move, she said "it's alright, the targets are blocking us"...
    Jesus. Yaah, double lesson: kids aren't dumb, they just don't know any better. Adults are dumb.

I used to do archery back in the UK. if you screwed up...boy, you were so off the range and doing drills and **** for the rest of the day. If you crossed that line, or ignored a verbal command... adult or kid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 5:35pm

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    another counselor started a potato sack race behind our targets. when i asked her to move, she said "it's alright, the targets are blocking us".
    :psyduck:

poser

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 8:26pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my dad taught me with a browning .22 LR when i was in kindergarten. his words "if you're old enough to read, you're old enough to shoot a gun. just make sure it's a children's gun and not a grown up's gun."
    Some day, when I have kids (scary thought), this is the philosophy I will go by.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 9:53pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My grandma was telling me the other day about how she remembers me being 6 years old shooting in her backyard with a pellet gun.

If I ever have kids, they are going to start young.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast