Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 10:34pm

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Swinging in pullups!

The one thing I know it is not is 'core strength'. I am on stronglifts 5x5. I have a 6 pack, and at 6'4'' 170 (Tall skinny bastard) I can deadlift 240 for 5. I'm not the strongest guy around by far, but my core is fine.

It is an issue of technique. One thing to consider is that unless I build a special pull up area, anything I use in the gym is too short for me to fully hang. At the bottom I either have to pull my lags back or lift my knees. The real issue is that during a pull up, and even a chin up though it is not nearly as bad, I naturally lift myself through a curved motion. Is going through this semi-circle path wrong? You have to curve yourself somewhat though, otherwise your head will smack the bar. I have honestly looked for all over for this, even stronglifts doesn't address it properly.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 7:20am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you happen to be an octopus or some other non-jointed organism I can guarantee you will always move in an arc when you pull yourself to teh bar. It's simply the way your arms are designed. The bar moves in an arc when you bicep curl, why should your bicep function any differently just because you're moving rather than the bar?
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 7:23am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also don't worry about curling up your legs when you pull. Unless you're kipping then I doubt additional abdominal recruitment will hurt. I'm yet to see anyone do a pull/chin where their legs didn't move at all.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

poser

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 8:33pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you keep your legs up and still, it helps your overall posture and form (and makes it a little harder, in a good way) by forcing you to lock in your core. Stronglifts recommends squeezing your glutes a little as you go up, which reminds you not to drop your legs. Also, remember that you're not lifting your body, you're driving your elbows to the floor, and your body is just following along, albeit with good posture (that is, keep your chest/head up, keep your legs up, keep everything locked in place).

If that doesn't work, then do a few slow reps to make sure that it's not just you swinging yourself out of bad habit. And if that's the case, just stop it.