Not even going to comment on this one, that's your job:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 12:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So uh, arent Randy Couture, Rich Franklin, and, I could be wrong here, Damian Maia all Chrstian martial artists as well?

If you look at the bible, God falls significantly short of the pacifist line. He messes people up, but only when they deserve it. Soddom and Gomorrah? Yeah, their shining pillar of righteousness, Lot, almost gave up his daughters to be raped by an angry crowed, and then impregnated them. That was the standard for good that S&G couldnt meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus, Luke22 circa 0AD
    35Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?"
    "Nothing," they answered.

36He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'[b]; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me.
    So to recap
    Live by the blade, die by it. As in, if thats your only option in life, its gonna be your death. You can own a blade, you can use it, but dont live by it.

Turn the other cheek. A dude slaps you? Thats it? Just a slap? Let it go broseph. Hitting him back is just getting revenge

Buy a sword. Sometimes crap goes down, and you need a sword. Defense is okay. Revenge isnt. If you gotta fight to survive/help someone, you gotta do it. If some dude takes your wallet and runs, let him. If he spits in your face and runs, let him. If he backs you into a corner and tries to start wailing on you, knock him out.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 8:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These people are more actors than they are martial artists.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 1:30pm

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah Phrost you kind of failed at teh scripture there but you're not a christian so I understand.

Mixing already cult-like martial arts into christianity is just really weird though. I've seen some questionable but good-natured and biblically ok things done for the sake of outreach and entertainment... but this just steps all over that line.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 1:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tkd, judo, muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no ninjutsu? wasn't Jesus a ninja? he walked on water :p

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 1:49pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was actually Bible Trivia Champion of my church's Sunday School class so I'm pretty versed in scripture for an atheist.

What I'm not "versed in" is the mental gymnastics that are performed by apologists, clergy, and "scholars" after the fact, to reconcile passages like this with the realities of human nature or the socio-political aims of the various interests who've used scripture as a tool to herd the masses in a particular direction.

I managed to opt out of Mental Gymnastics 101 by taking extra Science and Logic courses.

Again, I've got no personal agenda against the Christian faith, but to pretend the Bible doesn't contradict the ever-living **** out of itself takes nearly the same amount of credulity as it would to believe you're Napoleon or have the ability to levitate objects.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 2:11pm

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to see more traditional God-based MA... more lions needed.. I think.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 9:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kick boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Traditional training should be like this...If you can endure this, boy, you can endure any beating!

YouTube - Crucifixion Ceremony Philippines 2008

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:53pm

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PETER P. View Post
    Traditional training should be like this...If you can endure this, boy, you can endure any beating!
    That's kind of gone from religious to S&M Roman Vs Christian fantasy gone badly wrong... at least they're committed I suppose.

Or at least, some might say they should be.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 5:40pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The long and short of it is that its a marketing scheme. The trend is to attach Christian to your business and it gives them some extra customers. People have good intentions by doing this but are not adequately trained to be teaching religion to people or martial arts for that matter.

Many of them go with this statement "The bible says......" to justify or validate what they are doing.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.