...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Today I tried and failed to clean cosmoline out of 9 Tokarev magazines

So, today, I thought it would be a good idea to finally get around to using some mineral spirits to clean out 9 Romanian surplus Tokarev magazines I've had sitting in cosomline and wax paper. I figured I'd need 10 magazines if my inability to get .45 ACP ever lead me to use my Tokarev in a competitive sporting event.

I dropped all the mags in a bucket with a full container of mineral spirits. It did indeed dissolve a lot of the cosmoline, and the mineral spirits got brown, but there was still a lot of cosmoline inside the magazines, which were too narrow to insert a toothbrush into.

I removed the bottoms from about 4 magazines to clean off the springs, and used the part that pushes the cartridge up to try and scrape out as much cosmoline as possible. The magazines were still filled with cosmoline like jelly doughnuts filled with dango sauce and I couldn't get it all out by scraping. I inserted some q-tips in through the holes in the sides of the magazines and swished them around and they came out looking like they were covered with supermutant earwax.

In the end I just couldn't clean them up so I poured out my mineral spirits and put the mags in a cardboard box on top of my gun safe, thinking that I could get some new mineral spirits and a pipe cleaner brush or something, and try to keep cleaning them next week. At least the springs all still seem to be in good condition.

I really, really like my Tokarev, but because the grip is small, hard, and communistic, it kind of bruises my thumb a bit when I fire it, because it kicks pretty hard what with its small size and bottle-necked cartridge. However, it is very reliable. Even firing cheapo Norinco ammunition I've never gotten a stovepipe or anything like that. What a great sidearm.

Since I like the Tokarev so much, I've been considering getting a new Norinco Tokarev. People on the internet have been saying good things about it. But, there are two questions on my mind:

1.) Here on bullshido.net, I recall someone cited a friend as saying that since the Norinco Tokarevs are made from converted rail track that the metal would be very brittle, and that they would eventually bust apart while being fired. Are there any known instances of something like that happening? I wouldn't want to use an unsafe firearm.

2.) Where the heck can I get a new Norinco Tokarev?
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    In the end I just couldn't clean them up so I poured out my mineral spirits and put the mags in a cardboard box on top of my gun safe, thinking that I could get some new mineral spirits and a pipe cleaner brush or something, and try to keep cleaning them next week. At least the springs all still seem to be in good condition.
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting.../cosmoline.pdf
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 3:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the link!

Hey, it says that cosmoline melts at 113-125 degrees. It sounds like I could just leave the magazines out in the sun here in Las Vegas, and the metal would heat up, and the cosmoline would melt. Does that seem like a good idea?
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 4:37pm

Style: Ha Say Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not if it has impurities in it. Try white gasoline.

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 7:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TM View Post
    Try white gasoline.
    Add a little palm oil and aluminum, and now we're talking.

Spoiler:
    Don't mix these in.

Does that seem like a good idea?
    After a couple of drinks, a lot of stuff seems like a good idea. Leaving it in the hot sun doesn't seem like it would cause it to ignite if that's what you're really asking, however. I don't know if it would get the gunk out.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    ATTN TOM KAGAN

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 8:35pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about getting some Hogue grips?

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 8:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the link!

Hey, it says that cosmoline melts at 113-125 degrees. It sounds like I could just leave the magazines out in the sun here in Las Vegas, and the metal would heat up, and the cosmoline would melt. Does that seem like a good idea?
    It wont melt it like you are thinking. It will make it less like syrup and more like warm syrup.

poser

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 8:43pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But warm syrup is runny.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 8:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    What about getting some Hogue grips?

I'd actually thought about that, and wondered if they made them for Tokarevs, and wondered if it would be ironic to use them on milsurp firearms.

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 9:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww View Post
    But warm syrup is runny.
    ... and tasty, too.

ATTN TOM KAGAN
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast