Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 8:26pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do Lei Tai fighting?

Didn't know where to put this. It has a video but I have a question, but its a question about a competition, but it is a striking competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVsUmZovdOg

Has anyone compete under a Lei Tai rules set before? It looks like it might be fun, but is there face punches? Also anyone know what kind of equipment they're using?

ogrsx6 told me about this tournament http://www.usksf.org/newsandevents/m...n/md_tourn.htm

The rule book doesn't really answer any of my questions.
    http://www.usksf.org/newsandevents/m...cial_rules.pdf

So, anyone with the real kung fu ever do Lei Tai?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a couple of questions also:
    What size gloves can you use?
    What style headgear?

This is a horrendous video of last years tournament, I couldn't even finish watching it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j71Y33FrUTE

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 8:45pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not Lei Tai in the original sense. Lei Tai is a raised platform, and the whole point of it was to either beat your opponent, or push him off the stage. It was basically an old school "style vs style" tournament where different kung fu styles would fight.

I think "Lei Tai" in your video is just the name of the tournament, or in the spirit of the original competition. Traditional Lei Tai probably didn't have headgear or gloves... although I did see some modern day Lei Tai on CCTV 4 in China where they did use (14oz?) gloves I believe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 8:53pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6

This is a horrendous video of last years tournament, I couldn't even finish watching it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j71Y33FrUTE
    If you have a camera that recorded the fight, why would you need another camera to record it from your crappy TV?

It looks like they are wearing cage headgear and t-shirts. I am going to wear my space helmet and Kudo T-shirt.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 8:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I"m going to use the camera on my phone to record it off my computer screen then reupload it.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 10:08pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw in the rules it said there was a signal for "excessive contact". What is excessive? I thought it was full contact?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 1:31pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hui_Xiu
    I saw in the rules it said there was a signal for "excessive contact". What is excessive? I thought it was full contact?
    As far as I know, that rule is in place for people who go in with no skill and rely on brute force, or throw wild haymakers. I was warned a couple years back during continuous sparring for this after the guy I was fighting with and I started a headhunting match. He had a good 80lbs on me, my head was the loser.

and I re-read it....

Lei Tai does not have that rule at this tournament, the "san shou (light contact)" does.
    Last edited by isol8d; 5/14/2007 1:33pm at .

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have fought at that tournament.

face punches are allowed, as are kicks, knees, elbows

it is full contact.

they want you to wear cobra mitts for gloves. one year we got away with shooto gloves, and i have been lobbying for them to switch to the combat sports MMA training gloves, which you might get away with as well.

they require that style of headgear (which i hate)

any other questions?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 2:49pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they allow leg kicks?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they allow leg kicks?
    did you check out the link and read the PDF of the rules?
    yes they allow leg kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by rsobrien
    the rules are not very limited. the only one i found to be annoying was the one that prevents dropping to one knee during a takedown, as that counts as being thrown under their rules (whoever touches the floor with anything other than their feet has been thrown according to their rules.)

the gloves, headgear, cup and mouthguard are the only safety equipment. the contact is full contact. elbows are allowed (even to the head) knees are allowed (even to the head.)

you have to wear their t-shirt and sweatpants, as well as "martial arts shoes"

if you don't see face punches much it's cause those face cages **** up your hands if you punch them hard (especially with those dumb gloves they make you use.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast