Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 1:21pm

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Working out with Dog

Hey all,

I've been trying to find a way to incorporate my dog more into working out. I mean we walk about 2-5 miles a day but aside from that he's been really wired lately...

So I figured I could start doing some things with him that would be good for me and him. So I bought him a tug rope. He loves the thing. Now he weighs about ~55 pounds and he can put a really nice tug on it. Today though i thought I'd try something different. He loves the thing so much that once he grabs on he holds and doesn't let go until I tell him to "drop it". So I started swinging the rope using my legs and arms and twisting using my stomach.

I figure this would be good for a judo type workout because I really felt it burn in my lower back/upper legs/shoulders. I did this with him for about ~20 minutes today and I'm entirely exhausted just from throwing his weight around. Plus he's really happy.

I guess you could equate this to tying a weight to a rope and trying to swing it around but the whole time the weight is tugging back? Does anyone do anything similar with weights like that?

I just found this to be a really fun way to work the majority of the body at once.

EDIT:::

I heard using resistance bands over a pullup bar and pulling them over your shoulder is a good exercise for Judo as well. I tried that today and it seems like a good exercise.

Mostly I'm just interested in working the core in ways I'm not used to so as to get those stabilizing muscles stronger.
    Last edited by resolve; 7/05/2009 1:56pm at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me know the breed and I can give you really specific(hopefully) things to do with him/her.

I take my dog out weekly to the river(any body of water will do) and do swimming sprints, and after I get tired I just float in the water and hang on to his tail so he pulls me to shore.

Other good things are, bungy cords attached to a rope and practice throwing, this picks him up just a little bit and it really make me drop my hips for tai otoshi(his favorite one), really any throw will help though.

I am sure there are other things, but lemma know the breed and I will think of more by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 2:05pm

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's a mini Australian Shepherd and Black Lab mutt. 55 pounds and way stronger than he should be for his size.

He likes swimming. I hadn't thought about water sprinting before :)

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 2:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey! I remember you now, I thought I did but I wanted to make sure!

If he still has his tail do the pulling thing too, they are strong swimmers and get to where they love it, if no tail then u can always hook up a harness.

As far as utilizing his breed, you can do some agility training for yourself. With my old aussie, I would either use his ball or frisbee and and have him jump and move for it while I used my footwork to gain angles and stay "bouncey", kinda like shadow boxing except the dog was my shadow and that lil bastard was QUICK!

If he is ball crazy combine the Rocky trick of bouncing and catching but add him to the mix and grab it first...MUCH harder than it sounds.

OH! If you use yourself as a spring board and have him jump off you and catch a ball/frisbee then catch him before he lands that is a great workout for the both of you AND it doesnt hurt his hips AND you look super coll having him jump off you and then land like a baby in your arms CHICK MAGNET!!!!
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 2:49pm

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve View Post
    I just want to say that Your dog is CUUUUTE!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 4:46pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I workout with my dog constantly.

Just by holding my sandwich below waist height for a second, he helps it lose anywhere from 25-50% of its calorific value.

Beagles are truly ravenous beasts. Though not a naturally courageous breed, they would jump into an erupting volcano for a dirty hot dog roll.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 7:27am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tug-o-war with a manila rope and a dog, now that's a good idea. Do it full on tug style and try not to let him win unless you want him getting ego issues.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 10:19am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ::sigh:: I wish I could have a cool dog. My dog is a basenji. Everyone tells me you can't train that type of dog to do anything since it's a really stubborn breed. I would love to take my dog out running but last time I did that he ran laps around me and kept getting the leash all tangled up.

If anyone has any tips for that breed let me know so I can workout with him too.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 11:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyboardsamurai View Post
    ::sigh:: I wish I could have a cool dog. My dog is a basenji. Everyone tells me you can't train that type of dog to do anything since it's a really stubborn breed. I would love to take my dog out running but last time I did that he ran laps around me and kept getting the leash all tangled up.

If anyone has any tips for that breed let me know so I can workout with him too.
    They are a FANTASTIC breed! I found an OK site that has SOME good ideas, but then again, if you have 3 dog trainers in one room the only thing you can get them to agree on is that the other one is wrong...BA DUM CHA!!

http://www.basenjicompanions.org/tip...ng/kindly.html

I dont like using food to train, unless it is something really weird like getting beer from the fridge or closing doors or finding my keys.

Biggest thing with that breed is CONSISTENCY! If you ask him/her to do something they damn well better do it PERIOD. This takes a RIDICULOUS amount of patience at first since this smart breed already knows he/she can walk all over you. Just be patient and calm and more stubborn than the dog.

You can always PM me for more specifics.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/06/2009 11:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can offer experience with two very different and distinct breeds:

German Shepherd: one of my most vivid childhood memories involves our 125 lb German Shepherd actually pulling me facefirst across the lawns of a half-dozen neighbor's homes.

We had German Shepherds for years and, as I got older and able to handle the dogs, they were good dogs to go running with. Great power and control, excellent obedience. The only drawback was in Arizona heat, they didn't have the stamina to run long distances in the heat because of their long coats, but I would bring a bottle of water and a "pop-up" bowl for breaks.

Dalmatian: I have had two dalmatians and they have better endurance for running in his climate, inherrent in the breed and due to a shorter coat. However, the two main problems I have had:

first...the fucking beast stops to **** or piss every half block....almost to the point of forcing it.

second: they run in a zig-zag pattern.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast