Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2009 2:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bone Conditioning for MT?

I've heard and read that bone conditioning can be a very important part of MT training. At the very least, I want to desensitize my shins, so it doesn't hurt so much when I check a kick. Does anyone have any thoughts on the importance of this, as well as recommendations of how to do it safely?

Posted On:
    7/03/2009 3:06am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's already been several threads on this so do a search and i'm sure you'll find some useful information.

The important thing with shin checking (as with most things) is learning correct technique. Buy a good pair of shin guards and practise.

Posted On:
    7/03/2009 3:07am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The general consensus is that you want to avoid any quick fix solutions such as rolling a bottle up and and down your shin or kicking any trees other than banana trees. Kicking heavy bags and thai pads daily then icing your shins at night seems to be the best way.

My own question:
    Is MT thigh conditioning a myth? Will repetitive, low impact kicks which increase marginally each session reduce the impact of full blown leg kicks in the future? A few of the fighters do this at my gym and have asked me to join them but i don't want to be injuring myself for no gain.

Posted On:
    7/04/2009 2:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Condition your shins with bagwork, padwork and sparring, nothing else.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/04/2009 7:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    The general consensus is that you want to avoid any quick fix solutions such as rolling a bottle up and and down your shin or kicking any trees other than banana trees. Kicking heavy bags and thai pads daily then icing your shins at night seems to be the best way.

My own question:
    Is MT thigh conditioning a myth? Will repetitive, low impact kicks which increase marginally each session reduce the impact of full blown leg kicks in the future? A few of the fighters do this at my gym and have asked me to join them but i don't want to be injuring myself for no gain.
    I think it may possibly have some sort of merit, but I've never seen any reason to put any sort of faith in this actually doing anything. People do a lot of things as part of their training that they'll recommend to other people that are just flat out wrong, so I tend to only do the things that make sense to me. Letting people kick me in the legs needlessly is something I'd rather not take part in.
    Last edited by Torakaka; 7/04/2009 7:16pm at .
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    7/04/2009 8:57pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same view on it, last thing i want is permanently dead legs for something that may not even work. I think i'll have to give it a 2 month trial anyway after this next fight, got dropped on the weekend again from leg kicks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 1:09am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info, I will definitely find the other threads on this. I'm not looking for any quick fixes, and I have no intention of shifting the focus of my training; I do have plentiful spare time at my work, however, and I've been lightly smacking a wooden stick against my shins during my downtime. It's something that I can do while reading or watching tv, so if it has any merit to it, I figure, "eh, why not?"

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 5:49am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Repeated sharp blows to an extrmely nerve-laden part of your body... Sounds like either torture or good fun depending on how much of a painfreak you are.

Don't let some dude kick you in the ITB for jollies. Having had moderately serious [and seriously annoying] injuries in my thighs from blows to the leg [not by kicking, but I figure kicking would have a similar effect] I can't see why there'd be anything to gain from this and plenty to lose.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 9:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same view on it, last thing i want is permanently dead legs for something that may not even work. I think i'll have to give it a 2 month trial anyway after this next fight, got dropped on the weekend again from leg kicks.
    Work more on your footwork and being light on your feet so you can more easily defend and you won't have to get kicked in the legs :P
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My own question:
    Its not a myth, but its not neuro-muscular either. Its simply the fighter getting used to that sort of pain. Its exactly what happens to people when they box: they stop freaking out about getting hit in the face.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!