7/03/2009 6:18am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Thread title changed.

Mark,

Do you think you have it within you to create at least one thread a day where the title is descriptive enough to actually mean something as to what the thread is supposed to contain? This is getting tedious.
    I was thinking how nice it was to have an editor who adjusts these things....

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/03/2009 6:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Umm.... I am a rank examiner as well so.

1. Remember I said people were not contacting myself or my Uncle yet were getting promoted anyway. If you were from Michigan, you should have seen us.

2. I think the Camp system was outstanding, and sadly dying out due to small numbers and no money. Spirit of the Eagle had over 100 people or more at times. You had dozens of black belts there who could help you with anything.

3. Kata: Just because you are Shodan does not mean you can't pick your kata! The problem comes in we grade on contest, example Ron Tripp. That is a good thing. But then that contest guy now wants to get higher rank, now he is expected to know 5 or 6 and he hasn't learned any. I watched Mike Swain busting his ass at a Spirit of the Eagle camp working on Katas. However, here is a secret. One of them can be done alone as a karate kata; and the two self-defense katas? Go to an aikido school! I found a kata partner that way, high ranked aikido guy by the way, who loved the idea he was learning Judo kata... go figure. They LOVE the kneeling stuff and the Ju no Kata BTW. Finally, I have seen people grade people doing this without a kata partner, just doing their side of the kata.

4. Rank: Again, this is the great thing about finding a Camp and going there. There will be people there who will test, certify, and register your rank with ANY of the major groups.

Posted On:
    7/03/2009 6:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kbits View Post
    MTripp

Damn man...just...damn.

Do your guys also need to satisfy 'minimum competition points' (ie: 100, gained via shiai, ref work, assistant coaching etc) and time in service? Do they also need to fight a line up etc?

PS: No love NNK / KNK ?
    Yes, SAP points we call them, and much has been made over the word "sap."

Posted On:
    7/03/2009 6:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and I am very serious, do not discount the Aikido thing. I would do it again in a heartbeat. You may need to "shop about" to make sure you have a legit Aikido place, but if you do, they will be thrilled to help you... and they can REALLY make your moves look good!

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    7/04/2009 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, the vocab would be the only part of the test that would be easy to me (good at languages). everything else is a damn beast.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    7/04/2009 4:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FYI

"legs around" is the guard. Top is inside your opponents; bottom is yours.

But there is no guard game in Judo....

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/04/2009 5:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Umm.... I am a rank examiner as well so.

1. Remember I said people were not contacting myself or my Uncle yet were getting promoted anyway. If you were from Michigan, you should have seen us.

2. I think the Camp system was outstanding, and sadly dying out due to small numbers and no money. Spirit of the Eagle had over 100 people or more at times. You had dozens of black belts there who could help you with anything.

3. Kata: Just because you are Shodan does not mean you can't pick your kata! The problem comes in we grade on contest, example Ron Tripp. That is a good thing. But then that contest guy now wants to get higher rank, now he is expected to know 5 or 6 and he hasn't learned any. I watched Mike Swain busting his ass at a Spirit of the Eagle camp working on Katas. However, here is a secret. One of them can be done alone as a karate kata; and the two self-defense katas? Go to an aikido school! I found a kata partner that way, high ranked aikido guy by the way, who loved the idea he was learning Judo kata... go figure. They LOVE the kneeling stuff and the Ju no Kata BTW. Finally, I have seen people grade people doing this without a kata partner, just doing their side of the kata.

4. Rank: Again, this is the great thing about finding a Camp and going there. There will be people there who will test, certify, and register your rank with ANY of the major groups.
    RE: 1: You mean if they were members of USJA, or wanted to get promoted through USJA, correct?
    I assume Noburo Saito would suffice for USJF members

2: I think there are a couple of camps, one a YMCA camp, the other...damn, can't remember the name. It's a JA camp though, back east. Lots of folks attending.

3:Picking a kata? Most, if not all shodan candidates are usually required to do Nage No Kata, perhaps not all of it, or as both tori and uke. Is that a JA thing, picking your kata for shodan? Say, first three sets, although I had to do all of it as uke and tori. Nothing like a 5 hour rank exam. I can't imagine a shodan picking, say, Kime No Kata, Itsutsu No Kata, or Koshiki No Kata. Entirely inappropriate for that level of Judo.

4: Karate kata? You mean the "physical education kata" (forgive me I don't want to butcher the Japanese spelling)? It's not Karate, it's Judo kata. And see if you can find somebody to teach it to you in the US.

I'm a bit obtuse, but how could an aikidoka teach me a Goshin Jutsu no kata, or Kime No Kata? Those do not exist in aikido as far as I know. I could see maybe using one for an uke, however, without a competent teacher for those two the best uke in the world won't help. I'm sure you are not suggesting teaching yourself how to do either kata. Or any Judo kata for that matter.

Only doing one side of a kata, without a partner, for testing?

Mark, I'm sorry, but that's, to put it mildly, highly unusual. I could see going through the kata as an exercise in tandoku renshu (I did that for Nage and Katame no Kata, but only to reinforce my part of the kata).

4: I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Not all camps will offer certification, rank exams, etc., for all judo organizations. For example, if I want to test for yondan via Idaho Judo Inc., I can't go to a camp in New York state and be tested. If I want to get tested for yondan in the Northwest Yudanshakai of USJF, again, going to the Eagles camp won't cut it. If I went and tested under JA, and came back a yondan, I'm afraid either group might be a bit pissed off to say the least.

For those not familiar with Judo rank testing, each national organization has separate and different, although perhaps somewhat similar in broad form, rank requirements, testing procedures, etc.

Mark is basically referring to USJA testing procedures and standards.

Fire retardent underwear under my asbestos suit,

Regards,

Ben Reinhardt

Posted On:
    7/04/2009 5:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <<<You mean if they were members of USJA, or wanted to get promoted through USJA, correct? I assume Noburo Saito would suffice for USJF members>>>

As I said; we are speaking about USJA members in Michigan, going outside of Michigan to get promoted.

<<<I think there are a couple of camps, one a YMCA camp, the other...damn, can't remember the name. It's a JA camp though, back east. Lots of folks attending.>>>

There are actually a great many. Not as many as before, but going to any of the three groups web sites will list them.

<<<Picking a kata? Most, if not all shodan candidates are usually required to do Nage No Kata, perhaps not all of it, or as both tori and uke. Is that a JA thing, picking your kata for shodan? Say, first three sets, although I had to do all of it as uke and tori. Nothing like a 5 hour rank exam. I can't imagine a shodan picking, say, Kime No Kata, Itsutsu No Kata, or Koshiki No Kata. Entirely inappropriate for that level of Judo.>>>

The point is the USJA test says "a" kata. Yes, most will choose Nage no kata. But the point in the post was the lack of a kata partner, more on that later.

<<<Karate kata? You mean the "physical education kata" (forgive me I don't want to butcher the Japanese spelling)? It's not Karate, it's Judo kata. And see if you can find somebody to teach it to you in the US.>>>

I am well aware it is a Judo kata. I am using a term to be better understood.
    Seiryoku Zenyo Kokumin Taiku can be done solo, and I can think of several people who can teach it, myself among them.

<<<I'm a bit obtuse, but how could an aikidoka teach me a Goshin Jutsu no kata, or Kime No Kata? Those do not exist in aikido as far as I know. I could see maybe using one for an uke, however, without a competent teacher for those two the best uke in the world won't help. I'm sure you are not suggesting teaching yourself how to do either kata. Or any Judo kata for that matter.>>>

I never said they could teach it. I said if you are looking for a partner, one can be found there. Still can.

<<<Only doing one side of a kata, without a partner, for testing?>>>

I said, I have seen it done. I never gave my opinion on it.

<<<Mark, I'm sorry, but that's, to put it mildly, highly unusual. I could see going through the kata as an exercise in tandoku renshu (I did that for Nage and Katame no Kata, but only to reinforce my part of the kata).>>>

As I said, I have seen it done when there was no kata partner.

<<<I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Not all camps will offer certification, rank exams, etc., for all judo organizations. For example, if I want to test for yondan via Idaho Judo Inc., I can't go to a camp in New York state and be tested. If I want to get tested for yondan in the Northwest Yudanshakai of USJF, again, going to the Eagles camp won't cut it. If I went and tested under JA, and came back a yondan, I'm afraid either group might be a bit pissed off to say the least.>>>

Except I am speaking of USJA, you might note that is the test I have posted. I am not speaking of JI or JF; they can do as they please. Most, if not all, high level USJA camps will have testing there. In fact, for high level testing, it is necessary as there would be no way to take the test.

<<<For those not familiar with Judo rank testing, each national organization has separate and different, although perhaps somewhat similar in broad form, rank requirements, testing procedures, etc.>>>

Yes, but I have not posted their test.

<<<Mark is basically referring to USJA testing procedures and standards.>>>

Yes, which is what the test says. It is also what I have said.

<<<Fire retardent underwear under my asbestos suit>>>

No reason, more than happy to point out where you go astray....

Posted On:
    7/04/2009 7:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mark,

The title of your thread does not mention USJA. You posted the USJA test, as an example, I presumed, no other organization, that I know of, has such a document.

So, this thread is about rank standards in the USJA only, and USJA testing procedures. Or is it about how Mark Tripp, and I assume your Uncle, administered black belt exams?

I appreciate you wanting to stay with what you know, if that is the case.

Glad to hear you are not testing people doing solo kata testing, other than the single solo kata in Judo. I would hope if you ever do, you will speak up and

Crap, one of my kids is crying....

Ben

Posted On:
    7/04/2009 8:08pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Mark,

The title of your thread does not mention USJA. You posted the USJA test, as an example, I presumed, no other organization, that I know of, has such a document.

So, this thread is about rank standards in the USJA only, and USJA testing procedures. Or is it about how Mark Tripp, and I assume your Uncle, administered black belt exams?

I appreciate you wanting to stay with what you know, if that is the case.

Glad to hear you are not testing people doing solo kata testing, other than the single solo kata in Judo. I would hope if you ever do, you will speak up and

Ben

Ben
    *************Edit********after 45 minute limit

Mark,

Kids are OK, just got a little too rambunctions wrestling on the deck. I keep telling them to do it on the grass, but at 4 and 5 years old they tend to just go with the flow of the moment.

Upon further consideration (while milking the goat and feeding the kids), I think I now see where you are going with this thread.

Regards,

Ben Reinhardt
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast