Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 7:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Black Belt testing criteria

This is what my Uncle and I insisted people do....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails srpromo.pdf  

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is how we do promotions at my club. Is this the exception rather than the rule?

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just did that test for my Shodan in February, I'm curious too, Is this the exception rather than the rule?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread title changed.

Mark,

Do you think you have it within you to create at least one thread a day where the title is descriptive enough to actually mean something as to what the thread is supposed to contain? This is getting tedious.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo,TKD for funzies

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is exam is a beast, but I would expect nothing less. I have only been a part of Judo for a short time but I would expect my teacher to know all the things listed with small exceptions to questions like “Which American was the first to win a gold medal at the Women’s World Games in judo?” Personally I’m bad with remembering names.

Myself coming from Taekwondo where I saw a man test for 3rd dan black belt that consisted of him giving a presentation on how TKD changed his life then him preforming a kata (or poomse in TKD). That was it. No sparing not even a board break. I couldn't help but think "He should be showing us all the awesome skill he has" not rambling on about how his son punched some guy, who tried to rob him, in the stomach.

But back to the point yes that test should be the standard and dare I say minimum for those ranks imho.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The BJA's requirements can be found here (from the BJA website. Right click, save as).

It's something I want to start working towards next year. There's no vocabulary component AFAIK (is that usual in the U.S?), there is a competition one though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 9:20pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MTripp

Damn man...just...damn.

Do your guys also need to satisfy 'minimum competition points' (ie: 100, gained via shiai, ref work, assistant coaching etc) and time in service? Do they also need to fight a line up etc?

PS: No love NNK / KNK ?

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy sweet mother...Oh Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

Ouch, I would fail fantastically with the Japanese terms I'm sure. This truly make me realize how much I suck at Judo...:(

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 9:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar View Post
    This is how we do promotions at my club. Is this the exception rather than the rule?

That is the USJA promotion exam. USJF and USA Judo have different procedures and exams. So it should be the rule at USJA clubs.

The state governing bodies of USA Judo have standards they get approved by USA Judo.

Not sure how USJF works.

Regards,

Ben Reinhard

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 9:58pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never had to do vocab. I had to count to 10, know the rules (a stretch I know), know the names of the techniques of my belt in japanese and english, and be able to do the techniques as well as compete.

I have been pursing my shodan for the last year and I recently gave up trying. There just isn't enough judo around here to find a kata partner, and the requirements are just too much work at this point. I'm happy enough with being a ikkyu. My instructor is retiring this year, so my judo days are just about over. Unofficially I'll keep running the takedown class at my bjj school. It's judo without bowing or belts. We use the judo names of the throws however. We just got two new students who are shodans from the EU. I'm hoping they will maybe be willing to take over the teaching responsibilities from me. I dont' feel qualified and I hate doing it. without a black belt.

But when my judo instructor retires there will be no judo anywhere near me. I'll have to drive from south bend, IN to Portage, MI if I want to train. So I'm just going to quit. The funny thing is this area has 3 or 4 good black belts, but none of them have any interest in starting a school. There is probably 10 good serious judo students in the area that are fragmented, but none of us are qualified to run a real judo club.

It's a sad time for this area really. If I had a kata partner and a real judo class that met more than once a week I might seriously consider trying to keep judo alive here. I also found out my coach doesn't certify our ranks with the USJI until Shodan. So I have 100% 0 proof of my last 4 and 1/2 years of training. Besides owning a gi, a brown belt, and being able to sometimes throw people.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast