224674 Bullies, 3495 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Investigation: Jason Brinn and the Mixed Martial Arts Training Center - Raleigh, NC

Investigation article by SifuJason. Edited by Chuck Hardin and Samuel Browning.
    The Mixed Martial Arts Cross Training Center (MMACTC), located in Raligh, North Carolina, was investigated after it was brought to the attention of Bullshido. This school was owned by Rick Harper and managed/taught by Jason Brinn.

Brinn made the following dubious claims:

1. He claimed that he had 14 years of BJJ experience without receiving any rank.
    2. He claimed that he had studied under Carlos Machado, FMA expert Bill McGrath, Joe Lewis, and many other prominent masters.
    3. He claimed that Rob and Guy Pendergrass could vouch for his past BJJ training with Carlos Lemos, as could Billy Dowey and Jason Culbreth of Crossfit.
    4. He claimed that several companies sponsored his school, including TapouT, Affliction, Everlast, Fairtex, No Fear, and several other high-profile companies, many of which were direct competitors to one another.
    5. His school website claimed to be better than other local MMA schools, citing MMACTC's diversity of styles and experience and comparing it invidiously to a BJJ-only school.
    Click here to read the entire article on The Martial Arts Encyclopedia.
    Attached Images  

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 10:54am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you to all those who worked on this to expose a clear fraud. It really saddens me to think that this guy actually trained people - and possibly still trains them. I appreciate the good work, especially so close to home. (NC)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 11:27am

Style: Judo, BJJ & Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't call it a fraud more a stretching of the truth. There are many far far worse cases of Bullshido than Brinn.

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 12:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amazing complete work, well done.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 12:56pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good work, in his favour at least Brin kept in contact and seemed fairly open although it took some time.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 9:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BomberH View Post
    I wouldn't call it a fraud more a stretching of the truth. There are many far far worse cases of Bullshido than Brinn.
    I would actually disagree on this. I think "stretching" the truth is the worse kind of fraud when it comes to investigating it. With outright fraud (i.e. I can throw DragonBall Z fireballs), you can easily debunk this kind of stuff. With "stretching" of the truth, it can be more difficult. Just like Jason claimed his "14 years of BJJ" experience and then said that it wasn't a consistent 14 years. Now if we harp on that, we could potentially look overly "anal" to some people. This is how fraudsters keep their student base.

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 7:44am

Style: Shamar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Here is the TRUTH!

Brinn made the following dubious claims:

1. He claimed that he had 14 years of BJJ experience without receiving any rank.
    PROVEN: In the thread the Pendergrass bros admit to having met me and knew me to train BJJ at least as far back as 98 when we first met. I have pictures and others that can verify back to 94. The Pendergrass bros can't talk to my ability but this was never the question.

1. He claimed that he had studied under Carlos Machado, FMA expert Bill McGrath, Joe Lewis, and many other prominent masters.
    PROVEN: I have the pictures to prove it. Bill McGrath posted at the FMA forum backing this up. The Pendergrass bros backed up my training at seminars with Carlos Machado in the thread as well here.

1. He claimed that Rob and Guy Pendergrass could vouch for his past BJJ training with Carlos Lemos, as could Billy Dowey and Jason Culbreth of Crossfit.
    PROVEN: The Pendergrass bros backed up thjis claim posting in the thread as mentioned already. Billy says he cant remember although the Pendergrass bros place me in the same training facilities. Jason C has not spoken on the matter but knew who I was when we talked about updating the website for CFP when he was there.

1. He claimed that several companies sponsored his school, including TapouT, Affliction, Everlast, Fairtex, No Fear, and several other high-profile companies, many of which were direct competitors to one another.
    WRONG: This has been falsely attributed to Jason Brinn. Rick Harper put this on his website and he is responsible. Jason Brinn has NEVER made such claims anywhere and there has never been any proof otherwise!

1. His school website claimed to be better than other local MMA schools, citing MMACTC's diversity of styles and experience and comparing it invidiously to a BJJ-only school.
    WRONG: Again, this was/is Rick Harper's website not Jason Brinn's. Rick Harper apologized in the thread for this and took FULL responsiblilty for the website himself.

So, I have no problems with Bullshido but come on people - do your homework and at least make an HONEST effort to get your facts right. Calling someone a FRAUD is a serious allegation that deserves a high degree of integrity when dealing in such matters.

I, Jason Brinn, do not deserve such un-proven and in fact refuted claims made against me in this manner. It borderlines on Libel and circulation and giving breath to such un-substantiated (and in FACT refuted) claims and rants is less than honorable and the cancer of the martial arts community in our times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2009 5:41pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jason, this is a long post and you don't have to read it, but I suggest you do,

I don't care about your martial arts experiences other than your alleged BJJ experience.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that you're a fraud with this post or even make you look or feel bad, but try to make you understand the thinking of those of us that actually train BJJ regularly.

Your 14 years of BJJ don't count. Yes, I've flat out said it. Unless you're sparring almost every session, as far as everyone involved is concerned - you're a white belt. If you had ten legitimate black belts in ten legitimate styles, but none of them were grappling-oriented (and you weren't an excellent wrestler in high school or college), that makes you a universal white belt in grappling (Judo, BJJ, etc). Doing a few seminars and doing some technique here and there or teaching what you claim you know doesn't make your 14 years legitimate.

It's insulting. It'd be like me claiming I have fourteen years of Kyokushin Karate, solely because I'd taken a few classes here and there and then 'thought about it' and read books or taught others what I claimed I knew for fourteen years. That's bogus.

Most of my response stems from a thread in which a new user asked about self-training grappling. Literally everyone but you told him that that is a horrible idea that's not going to help him at all and that he was best off doing something else with his time or finding a qualified teacher. That, along with your claim that you don't like competitions because that makes it all about ego (uh, some people like competing; testing their skills against people that don't regularly train with) and yadda yadda yadda, set off a red light. There's no way a person that trains in BJJ with any regularity would say anything like that. I've never even come across a legit instructor with that kind of attitude let alone a legit school.

In this sport, because yes, it is a sport, you're either a black belt under a good instructor (or perhaps he or she is a black belt under a legit instructor) or you're a tournament champion (ADCC, Mundials, Pan Ams, Grappler's Quest, etc) or both. Yes, there's the occasional super bad ass that's a brown or purple belt but generally speaking, it's one of the above, especially in the states or in Brazil.

Which one are you? If it's neither or you don't have a purple belt (which is considered teaching dan), you're insulting our sport and yourself by teaching.

What you need to think about is what we're seeing every time you say something about being self-taught or book taught and about not liking competitions. This is how it comes off to me:

I'm not a legitimate teacher or even a legitimate competitior. I'm inexperienced and quite mediocre at this style. However, my ego, thanks to the plethora of black belts I've earned, makes me think I'm no longer a student and only a teacher, so I teach what I think I know regardless of experience, even though my students could have gotten the same deal for a $15 book and a friend to try stuff on. I'm persistent in my experience in it, even though anyone that practices regularly sees right through it, because I don't feel I should have to be put through any more trials. After all, it's all martial arts. My students are progressing, even though it's probably just via trial and error and I'm uncomfortable rolling with anyone that I'm not sure I can beat.

Recently many of us on here have begun criticizing Gracie University. Why? Because it's teaching people that they can get good at BJJ/GJJ via video training without a qualified instructor. But you know what? Rorion's sons could beat the hell out of just about anyone on this site, probably with ease. Does that make what they're doing legitimate? No, it doesn't.

While I don't like seeing someone's reputation ruined, I think you should really take a good look at yourself as a martial artist and ask if perhaps you've gone too far in padding your resume. Maybe you ought to take a step back and realize we're all students and that an ego doesn't belong in martial arts training.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 1:13am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jason,

You've padded your resume without need.

You may or may not be a decent fighter or teacher.

However, you are not what you claim

In any event, you think more highly of yourself that deserved.

On a harsher note, you are an arrogant ass.

This is my opinion only and not intended to reflect on BS in general.

In short - you are a fraud.
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 7/11/2009 1:25am at .