Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 3:28pm

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My workout. Comments?

I have 2 main goals here. First is MA. Training for me is few and far between right now and I want to make sure that I have the goods when I get to a place where I can train consistently.

Second, I want to get into a special program in the Navy. I'm currently in fire controlman A school and basically the better I do on the PST the more likely I am to be accepted into a program once I'm done with my training.

• Swim 500-yards (combat sidestroke) in less than 12 minutes and 30 seconds
      10-minute rest
    • Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 minutes
      2-minute rest
    • Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
      2-minute rest
    • Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups (no time limit)
      10-minute rest
    • Run 1 miles in under 11 minutes.

Those are the minimum SEAL requirements and I want to be able to blow this **** away. Don't get me wrong, FC is kick-ass, but I want something a little more kick-ass.

So here's what I'm doing:
    I have about 5 weeks of school left so I was planning on doing this for 5 weeks.
    Mon/Wed: Morning- 100 push-ups max rep
    Abs/Stretching

Afternoon- 100 push ups max rep
    Pull-ups 5 x (week + 3)
    Squat 5 x 8
    Rows 5 x 8
    Run (mon: 1/2 mi x 3, 1/4 x 4, 1/8 x 4)
    (wed: Week # + 2 miles)
    Abs and Stretching

Tues/Thurs: Morning- 10 x 10 push ups
    Abs/Stretching

Afternoon- Pull-ups max rep to 15 + (week x 5)
    Dumbbell Bench 5 x 8
    Overhead 5 x 6
    Swim (Tu: 10 + (week x 5) minute)
    (Th: 100 meter x 3, 50 x 4, 25 x 8)
    Abs/Stretch

Fri: 100 push ups and run/swim, mostly start taking it easy here because I go home friday and dont give myself a lot of time to work out.

I have a shake 3 times a day which is about 20g protein, 25g carbs, vitamins and sometimes creatine and BCAAs mixed with milk
    Breakfast is some combination of eggs, cottage cheese, bagel and/or fruit
    Lunch I sometimes have an apple (I can't make the galley times if I want to work out)
    Dinner is usually chicken alfredo and some form of soup or salad.

Tomorrows the end of week 1. I've lifted before, but never seriously, never really set a program, so that part of the routine is pretty new to me. Any tips, things I could do better, lifts to add, better eating habits?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 7:10pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you baselined yet? i.e. do you know how you perform against the qualifying test minimums.
    I'd suggest getting a feel for where you're at right now vs. target and then you can shape your workout to focus on anything that really needs improvement. (yes, yes, got that you want to kick the ass of everything vs. minimum requirement). Nonetheless, taking a swing at it will also tell you how your recovery between exercises is going.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 7:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The run is my biggest concern. 1.5 is no big deal but after all the rest of the workout it's a little exhausting. And I'm not a big runner. During the PST it's around 11 min, I need it to be closer to 9. My swim is already around 10 min, would like it to be 9. 80+ sit ups, 50 push ups and 8 to 10 pull ups. Push ups and pull ups are the other areas that really need improvement, I should be able to do 100+ push ups and 15+ pull ups.

I think after a couple weeks I'm going to need to start running on my swim days too.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 8:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrt View Post
    Have you baselined yet? i.e. do you know how you perform against the qualifying test minimums.
    This. Collect the relevant numbers, and start keeping a training log.

Edit: Also, be realistic about how much progress you can make in five weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 9:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll see if I can run the PST this weekend sometime and get some accurate up to date numbers.

And is it realistic to expect to exceed all of my goals? To be honest 9 min swim, 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 15 pull ups, 9 min 1.5 mile doesn't seem that far off. And as far as the lifting goes, the goal is just improvement. And it's my understanding that it will help me not get injured during the harsh Dive School/BUDS training if I ever get there.

I'm not expecting to be at this level in 5 weeks, but I'm looking to build a really solid base to work with. I already started a log.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 9:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by legomepanda View Post
    The run is my biggest concern. 1.5 is no big deal but after all the rest of the workout it's a little exhausting. And I'm not a big runner.
    I ran 5 miles 3 times a week but I no longer look at my watch. I don't care how fast that I run as long as I have "fun".

It will be nice if you can still continue to do whatever you are doing today 30 years from now. If you train for "fun", you will most likely to continue for the rest of your life. If you train for "no pain no gain", you will most likely to quit someday.

If you only do 75% of your capacity, you may want to do more but you force yourself to stop, you will look forward to your next day training. Besides what could happen after a serious training, you get yourself so exhausted, and you have to get into a street fight, but you don't have any energy left?
    Last edited by csc; 7/01/2009 9:34pm at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 9:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by legomepanda View Post
    And is it realistic to expect to exceed all of my goals? To be honest 9 min swim, 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 15 pull ups, 9 min 1.5 mile doesn't seem that far off.
    Without numbers to show where you are now, it's really hard to say. But five weeks is not a huge amount of time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 3:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here it is: 10:20 swim. 85 sit ups. 53 push ups. 7 pull ups. 10:35 run.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 7:00pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looking good. keep at it.

Consider doing more squats. My sports medicine doctor told me that the high effort lifts like squats and deadlifts are great at stimulating testosterone production which will help with building up the hwole body. Testosterone = quick recovery + hypertrophy

eat lots of protein and take a nap after training if possible to maximize recovery. remember recovery is when you're actually getting stronger/faster/bigger. In such a short time frame you really need to devote time to recovering to see results.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 7:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Minimum/Current/Target (percentage improvement to target)

Swim: 12:30/10:20/9:00 (+14% speed)
    Sit-ups: 50/85/100 (+18% reps)
    Push-ups: 42/53/100 (+88% reps)
    Pull-ups: 6/7/15 (+114% reps)
    Run: 11:00/10:35/9:00 (+17% speed)

Four weeks left. (Actually, more like three, I guess.)

You should hit 100 sit-ups. I'm not sure you'll be able to hit the swim/run goals, but you should be able to make some respectable progress there. Barring a miracle, push-up and pull-up goals are out of reach.

As for prescriptive... I recommend Tabata.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast