Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 12:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quick Switch or Step

When switching to south paw for left thai kicks what do you guys find more effective the quick switch of the feet or just stepping forward with your right foot and kicking? Or is it just a preference, the quick switch is deffinately faster but i feel i get less power and balance out of it than i do with just stepping fowards. I could always get used to it with practice but i was just wondering if ones better than the other, I was watching some sityodtong and fairtex camp videos and it seems like they quick switch a lot more often. Thanks

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The power and balance issue of the quick switch depend upon proper foot placement and a lot of practice.

Stepping forward is dependent somewhat upon range.

Preference - quick switch.

Disclaimer - have never practiced MT in a gym and speak from kickboxing, TKD experience. Quick switch has not served me well in judo.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GHemmer View Post
    When switching to south paw for left thai kicks what do you guys find more effective the quick switch of the feet or just stepping forward with your right foot and kicking? Or is it just a preference, the quick switch is deffinately faster but i feel i get less power and balance out of it than i do with just stepping fowards. I could always get used to it with practice but i was just wondering if ones better than the other, I was watching some sityodtong and fairtex camp videos and it seems like they quick switch a lot more often. Thanks
    Totally depends on the situation. If I'm throwing a combination and the other person is retreating and covering I'll take a step and kick. If things are staying close or I'm throwing something while moving back I'll do the switch. The switch is more explosive so I get the impression it's potentially the harder kick, though that may just be my perception. You can't always get away with doing a big step when you kick, so getting good at the switch is nice if you plan on making lots of use of that lead leg round kick. My left kick is one of my two main weapons (along with my jab) so I've gotten pretty accustomed to doing a fast switch. The switch kick is a nice counter kick.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 2:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info, i'll work on it in drills and on the heavy bag tonight. By the way i saw one of your MT fights Kid, you did good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 3:01pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Panantukan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the misfortune of posting after Kidspatula, who basically stated everything I wanted to say, albeit she does it with more credibility.

My preference is the switch kick as well, and though I always imagined that my rear leg was strongers, I find that the speed of my switch kick generates a lot more power.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 3:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright Thanks, I'll try it out

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 7:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to give yourself three options instead of two learn to throw the lead leg roundhouse without switching. I practice a no switch front leg kick a lot and have come to prefer it in a lot of situations.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 7:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Just to give yourself three options instead of two learn to throw the lead leg roundhouse without switching. I practice a no switch front leg kick a lot and have come to prefer it in a lot of situations.
    I've had tippy-tap success with this in point sparring, but I don't see the power generation for it. How do you hit hard with this one?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:06am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems to me AnnaT and Kid posted a video about this some time back; look around.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THanks i read that right before my mma class last night and it worked great, not so much power with it but with some heavy bag work it'll get there.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast