233424 Bullies, 3424 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can someone provide a bit of a background regarding what prompted this thread. I'm a bit slow on the follow-up. I'm guessing it has something to do with Morton's Judo creds? Also, a link to the thread would be quite awesome, especially for those seeing this thread only and wondering what is up.

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 11:56am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 12:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    Can someone provide a bit of a background regarding what prompted this thread. I'm a bit slow on the follow-up. I'm guessing it has something to do with Morton's Judo creds? Also, a link to the thread would be quite awesome, especially for those seeing this thread only and wondering what is up.

Follow here:

Matthew Morton - No BS Martial Arts

and PM incoming.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 12:25pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My own little judo rant.

Anybody ever wonder why there is no "Judo Black Belt" tag above my name? I don't want one.

This **** was still going on eleven years ago when I got my shodan. I didn't know it at the time, and got screwed pretty bad (Which I didn't find out until about five years later). This was right around the time USJI/USJA were trying to become the whole USA Judo thing. At this point I was paying dues to the AAU, USJA, and USJI at the same time. Nobody was recognizing anybody else's stuff, and a lot of people were slipping through the cracks. A lot of clubs were promoting outside this structure altogether, and having their people register for whatever organization was running a particular shiai on the day of said shiai. I was too young to understand what was going on, and did not protect myself. When I tried to go back to judo a few years ago, the organization was more cohesive, and I was told point-blank by someone who KNEW me from my competitive days that my rank was "unconfirmed." Of course they would be happy to reinstate it for back dues, a re-test, and a fee. Remember...this person KNEW me and SAW me compete as a shodan 10 years earlier under the AAU.

So I tooled everybody at that club, and I've never looked back at judo since. Ten years I spent in judo, competing actively. I go another ten without paying dues to the right governing body and presto, instant pariah. That's when I realized how political it all could get. that's why I think a lot of paper tigers out there are worried about rank technicalities.

I miss Lenny LeBlanc. Guys like him, Steve Scott and the Tripps are becoming the exception in Judo, not the rule. It makes me sad. As for my judo shodan? It has been formally endorsed by Steve Crawford with USJA (he offered to have Gene LeBell sign the certificate, as witnessed by Phrost)...but since I won't re-join and pay dues/fees... I remain "unconfirmed."

I still have the silly piece of black cloth in my closet. Anyone who thinks I do not deserve it can come and get it. ;) (not joking).

Like all large organizations, Judo is suffering from power struggles within itself. The cost of organizational cohesiveness is that individuals seek power within that organizational structure. When rank is highly valued, then it becomes a commodity like any other. Rank is a viable way of influencing/consolidating a power base. Porter did it, and others will as well. I suspect that while judo is not as rife with inflated rank as TKD, the number of people who's judo rank is more administrative than knowledge-based is embarrassing.

It's a juggernaut you can only decry, but cannot stop. All organizations with more than a few hundred people will experience this. It's kept me out of judo when I might have gone back, and it's why I now prefer the skills-only based structure of MMA.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 12:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty View Post
    There are some spectacularly disingenuous comments coming from people over there. I mean, if they were going to go "tl;dr, don't like Bullshido", that's fine, but they should at least admit that they didn't read the thread they're criticizing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    Anybody ever wonder why there is no "Judo Black Belt" tag above my name? I don't want one.

This **** was still going on eleven years ago when I got my shodan. I didn't know it at the time, and got screwed pretty bad (Which I didn't find out until about five years later). This was right around the time USJI/USJA were trying to become the whole USA Judo thing. At this point I was paying dues to the AAU, USJA, and USJI at the same time. Nobody was recognizing anybody else's stuff, and a lot of people were slipping through the cracks. A lot of clubs were promoting outside this structure altogether, and having their people register for whatever organization was running a particular shiai on the day of said shiai. I was too young to understand what was going on, and did not protect myself. When I tried to go back to judo a few years ago, the organization was more cohesive, and I was told point-blank by someone who KNEW me from my competitive days that my rank was "unconfirmed." Of course they would be happy to reinstate it for back dues, a re-test, and a fee. Remember...this person KNEW me and SAW me compete as a shodan 10 years earlier under the AAU.

So I tooled everybody at that club, and I've never looked back at judo since. Ten years I spent in judo, competing actively. I go another ten without paying dues to the right governing body and presto, instant pariah. That's when I realized how political it all could get. that's why I think a lot of paper tigers out there are worried about rank technicalities.

I miss Lenny LeBlanc. Guys like him, Steve Scott and the Tripps are becoming the exception in Judo, not the rule. It makes me sad. As for my judo shodan? It has been formally endorsed by Steve Crawford with USJA (he offered to have Gene LeBell sign the certificate, as witnessed by Phrost)...but since I won't re-join and pay dues/fees... I remain "unconfirmed."

I still have the silly piece of black cloth in my closet. Anyone who thinks I do not deserve it can come and get it. ;) (not joking).

Like all large organizations, Judo is suffering from power struggles within itself. The cost of organizational cohesiveness is that individuals seek power within that organizational structure. When rank is highly valued, then it becomes a commodity like any other. Rank is a viable way of influencing/consolidating a power base. Porter did it, and others will as well. I suspect that while judo is not as rife with inflated rank as TKD, the number of people who's judo rank is more administrative than knowledge-based is embarrassing.

It's a juggernaut you can only decry, but cannot stop. All organizations with more than a few hundred people will experience this. It's kept me out of judo when I might have gone back, and it's why I now prefer the skills-only based structure of MMA.
    I'll sign it, anytime......

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 1:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    There are some spectacularly disingenuous comments coming from people over there. I mean, if they were going to go "tl;dr, don't like Bullshido", that's fine, but they should at least admit that they didn't read the thread they're criticizing.
    You know what man?

The same people who bitch about vigalantes and who cry about people making a big deal about rank when none should exist....

they are always the first people to cry when the government regulates something because someone is harmed... So when litle Johnny gets dipped on his head by the guy who said he was a Judo nidan and wasn't and the government decides to take licensing fees and to tax the **** out of the little money that a judo teacher may make.... then guys who were shouting down the works of people like Josh and Mark, they are the ones who cry like bitches...

that has been my experience. I saw it in real estate, in the financial services industry and I saw a decline in quality in karate that has basically made karate into a castrated art now a days. Ths Booj also has become a festering shithole because people refuse to take responsability for rank issued.

Yes the mat is the ultimate arbitrator... but these people make the mistake of assuming that because of this people should be able to say what they want otherwise.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 1:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    Yes the mat is the ultimate arbitrator... but these people make the mistake of assuming that because of this people should be able to say what they want otherwise.
    There's also a problem with expecting the mat to sort everything else out. It seems obvious to me, but I guess that's not universal.

A tatami audit will only reveal a fraud who has also fooled themselves. If they still know that they aren't as badass as they've claimed, they will be able to avoid it until things blow over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 1:12pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 1:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here a question they need to answer and destroys their entire weak argument.

If you don't know me, can't find me, never heard of me, and I never compete how is the MAT going to recitfy anything?

Isn't this what is hapeening here?

No one knows him, no one knew what he was doing, he just happened to say a werid thing to someone who posted here. If you get the enitre back story, you realize how long it took for the question to pop up.

So, if this person stayed silent. The may wouldn't fix ****.

There whole complaints are weak and based on zero substance.

Like Russ said, I don't care and they have a right not to like Bullshido.

Creating strawmen is stupid.

Here how about a create a starwman.

If the woman will not testify against a rapist, he should go free because it is between the victim and the attacker.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast