Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 9:06am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Bullshido: Why many Judoka are silent on rank inflation.

This I am sure will get passed about, and people will attack me for this, but I do not care.

Many of you are stunned at the reaction to Coach Josh's comments at Judoinfo. I would like to let all of you know why that reaction is.

First, some history. For quite some time AAU ran sport Judo. From this USJF was created, but you still had to be an AAU member to compete.

As always happens with such things, political crap came in, and things were very bad. The AAU/USJF controlled Judo, and many were unhappy with that control. Finally, Phil Porter sued, and won, to break the strangle hold. Mr. Porter, who ran the Armed Forces Judo Association, created USJA. The AAU was out after this, and USJA/USJF ran things on their own, separate but equal.

Now, once Judo became an Olympic sport, this country needed a NGB for Judo. The fight as to should it be USJA or USJF would have made the middle east look tame. As such, a great idea was made. Create a new group, made up of equal representation of USJA/USJF to run Olympic Judo. This became USJI.

However, to expect things to stay that way would be silly. It took time, but now, hardly anyone remembers or admits those facts. With elections and political moves, now USJI is above USJA/USJF and working hard to eliminate BOTH of those other groups. This is EXACTLY why the AAU problem happened.

Phil Porter tried to fight this. His plan was to make USJA so large and powerful that they would get the IOC to make them the NGB and not USJI. His way of doing this was to get as many people in USJA as he could; and the simplest way to do that, was to sell rank.

USJA became no different than Juko-kai. They had Aikido, TKD, Jujitsu, Sambo, etc divisions and all of them sold rank. Phil did clinics all over the US and used them to sell rank. He did programs in Karate schools and gave out shodans in Judo! When he came to my school in the early 1990's, he left with over $17,000 in promotion fees!

At this time, something very odd was happening. My uncle was THE USJA man here in Michigan. He was the head of the promotion board, and the top USJA rep in Michigan. I had a huge club; over 100 members, and in the USJA top ten. All Michigan USJA promotions were supposed to go through him. We used my school for all tests. Problem was, we were only testing our students. People were getting promoted to dan rank, and in many cases high dan rank, without going in front of the promotion board! Why would someone in Michigan, go to Ohio to get promoted? Because Phil, as president of USJA, promoted HUNDREDS of people to ranks THEY WERE AND ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO HOLD. They did not need to take the actual test.

MY Uncle and I saw this at camps and clinics. We would see people with very high rank and wonder how they got it. More often than not they would get off the mat when we were around, because they knew they didn't have the skills to back up the rank.

Most of you know what happened next. Phil was removed from USJA, started his own group, and is still selling rank. Many people to this day will say USJA rank stinks because of all of this....

However, here is the dirty little secret. MANY of those people got one of those inflated USJA ranks from Phil, and used them to get rank in USJF/USJI then never claimed USJA rank again! Yes, I could name names.

Do you understand why so many people do NOT want people looking real close at their rank papers? Or their history? Want to know how to catch them? Ask a 5th dan for EVERY promotion along the way! You should be able to find a record of "growth." Here is Joe Doe as Shodan, then NOTHING until Joe Doe shows up as a Godan... its easy to know what happened.

LOTS of them did this, and its why Bullshido scares the hell out of them...

Mark Tripp

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 9:13am

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And now I know, and knowing is half the battle! *queue GI Joe music*
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mark, you should post this on Josh's Judoforum thread. You have the background to at least make the point credibly. How they react to being confronted is another matter, but you could drop it as a bomb, and then disengage. If this is true, they deserve to be confronted with it. As it stands, they are looking down their noses at bullshido as a bunch of cyber-vigilantes and children instead of looking in the mirror.

Just my $.02
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 9:22am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks MTripp. This explains the "live and let live you are meanies Bullshido" rants in that thread.

If one person who bought rank was caught, whose to say who else might get caught with bought and faked rank?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Mark, you should post this on Josh's Judoforum thread. You have the background to at least make the point credibly. How they react to being confronted is another matter, but you could drop it as a bomb, and then disengage. If this is true, they deserve to be confronted with it. As it stands, they are looking down their noses at bullshido as a bunch of cyber-vigilantes and children instead of looking in the mirror.

Just my $.02
    It would make some Judoforum member hearts sing.

Others will scurry for a place in the dark.

I'm having a problem logging in for some reason - hence no post by Mat Rag in defense of Josh's inquiry thread on Morton.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 9:26am

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mark, I dont know if you know my coach, Norm Miller. Norm is the chair for AAU Judo, and he gives out ZERO rank, the only Japanese he teaches is the few words you will hear from a refrree in a judo match. the only bowing you do is at the start of a match.

Norm's club is more like a wrestling team, and it has it's appeal. Norm gives out a team belt to any member that has competed in ten tournaments, Norm says there are "black belts" in some of the current governing bodies that dont even have five tournaments under thier belt.
    Norm is graded as a nidan, but never wears a judo gi, he just gets out on the mats and coaches. He puts out some tough guys, and runs a good program.

I kind of prefer the AAU over the other guys, personally.
    16 years till retirement.

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 10:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OH, I should clear that up....

The people who ran judo for the AAU in the OLD DAYS, really are around running Judo today. The problems with AAU are problems of YEARS ago that are not there today.

Today, AAU is a GREAT place to be involved in Judo. My club always supported AAU. I know Norm Miller, and Steve Scott, and many others over there now, and I can't say enough good things about them.

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 10:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Thanks MTripp. This explains the "live and let live you are meanies Bullshido" rants in that thread.

If one person who bought rank was caught, whose to say who else might get caught with bought and faked rank?
    Over there? More than you'd suspect. It's why many, not all, but many want this to go away.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 11:29am

Style: Shaolin/Judo/JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first started Judo, it was with my high school wrestling coach back in 1967. Never got formal ranking. Later, as a police officer, started with Mike Royse around 1979 and got ranking. We went through the AAU/USJA/USJI/USJF nut roll. Stayed USJA, life member and all that stuff, finally getting to Shodan around 1983. (Yeah, I know. Slow learner). The thing is, other than a smallish test fee, we didn't pay a lot for belts. Porter came by regularly, and some "names" for clinics and tournaments. Hate to see some of the stuff going on now with US Judo. Rather roll than play politics.

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 11:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats a shame Mark. I do remember when the Phil Porter seminars started. I say this as one outside of Judo circles. I remember these events because there were also karate guys involved (won't mention names) and suddenly two things happened that had not happened before in Baltimore:

a) Guys suddenly needed a rank higher than your reasonable skill levels... I.e. my teacher Willie BEn was a 5th dan and a great fighter, and he was pressured to go to a guy who was not nearly as good as he was to get a higher rank.

b) Suddenly the pure fighting fitness was diluted with garbage.... you saw guys fighitng karate bouncing up and down and flashy **** that had no effect other than visual in tournaments... Quality became diluted.

Yes Phil Porter and his clinics via New Jersey? if memory serves correct and karate guys who would give you rank for money and a kata or two...
Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast