Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 1:55am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC taking even greater control over sponsorships

Wow, so this situation has been brewing for a while as more and more clothing sponsors for fighters are being banned by the ufc, only with the latest being Hayabusa Fightwear:

http://mmapayout.com/2009/06/hayabus...c-banned-list/

With the $100,000 sponsor fee also now being enacted for any sponsor wanting to sponsor a ufc fighter, it looks like ufc fighter sponsors could potentially dry up.:disgust:

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 7:55am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    depending on how much the UFC pushes this kind of stuff they might just piss off enough fighters for strikeforce to make a huge surge forward.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 9:00am

Style: krav maga, bjj, mma,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC fucking over their fighters once again

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 9:18am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tons of fighters at the UFC level don't make enough money to train full time. So instead, they pick up sponsorships.

This is just crass protectionism. No doubt Tapout has been whining about all their new competition. **** those guys.

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 12:32pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This combined with a rumored lifetime ban from Zuffa organizations for appearing in EA Sports' upcoming MMA game...they're getting downright tyrannical in protecting their monopoly.

They might be giving Strikeforce a window of opportunity here.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 12:48pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahahha they banned hayabusa right after putting it in their video game
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 12:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, I'd love to see antitrust action against the UFC. Not necessarily because I think they'd have a case, but because I think it'd be absolutely hilarious to watch the UFC turn around and argue that they're not the only game in town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 6:21pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^Rofl

Johnny: Yeah, and Hayabusa is now back in, after agreeing to some "undisclosed terms" that the ufc was demanding, I wonder how many hoops they had to jump through and what those terms was, in addition to the 100k sponsor fee of course.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 6:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will play the devils advocate here...

If I gave a local fighter that I was friends with 5k as a sponsor and he wore my logo on his shirt/shorts then my business would get national exposure as well as a "back door" endorsement by the UFC, since it is on one of their fighters.

Lets say that I was a UFC fighter and I thought that George Dillman was the greatest instructor in the world. George gives me some cash to wear a george dillman logo on my tshirt as I walk in....that would give some people the impression that GD's bullshit is legit.
    For those of us who know better, no...but for the masses of...how was that put..."bud light drinkers yelling at the ring girls" (paraphrased) yes.

Mind you I am only playing the other side.....not agreeing with the policy. The UFC is quickly becoming Pro Boxing only Dana doesnt have the hair for it.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 6:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34 View Post
    I will play the devils advocate here...

If I gave a local fighter that I was friends with 5k as a sponsor and he wore my logo on his shirt/shorts then my business would get national exposure as well as a "back door" endorsement by the UFC, since it is on one of their fighters.

Lets say that I was a UFC fighter and I thought that George Dillman was the greatest instructor in the world. George gives me some cash to wear a george dillman logo on my tshirt as I walk in....that would give some people the impression that GD's bullshit is legit.
    For those of us who know better, no...but for the masses of...how was that put..."bud light drinkers yelling at the ring girls" (paraphrased) yes.

Mind you I am only playing the other side.....not agreeing with the policy. The UFC is quickly becoming Pro Boxing only Dana doesnt have the hair for it.
    I see no reason to believe that the UFC has any interest in quality control.

On one hand, QC does not cost six figures to implement.
    On the other, it would probably weed out at least a few of the supplement "manufacturers" (read: marketers) that they've endorsed.

So that really doesn't hold up.

The real devil's advocate argument is that league-wide exclusivity in any given sponsor category is worth more than the sum of competing deals (this is unlikely, but possible), and so the fighters as a group (the less popular ones in particular) will reap benefits via bigger purses, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast