Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listening to Rogan is good . . . but remember this: When Rogan starts screaming, "Oh, that is DEEP! That is TIGHT! He is in REAL TROUBLE NOW!" that's your cue to start looking for the openings the guy in the submission has to defend and escape.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 10:23pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember before I started doing BJJ that it always amazed me how Rogan could predict what the fighters were going to do before they did it. That's probably what made me realize that there was a lot more going on then I really understood.

After just a few months of training, I started seeing all the subtle shifts in position that give away what the fighters are going for. I don't think you can really *see* that stuff unless you've grappled. Even so, you can learn quite a bit from listening to Rogan, and I credit him with getting me interested in the sport.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 10:47pm

Style: Learning BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to videos

You could also take a look at the myriad of how to videos on the internet. I don't watch too many myself because my teacher is still filling my head beyond its limited capacity with principles and techniques, but I have learned a bit from the handful that I have watched.

Since real fighters in the ring must execute moves at great speed, it would be helpful to see them slowed down and/or broken into steps.

Caveat: there are many crap jiu-jitsu technique videos by people who don't really know that they're doing so I would start with Bullshido-hosted videos and suggested links.

P.S. Probably not a great idea to try things on your friends without a competent coach around to keep everyone reasonably safe ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everybody. I had been actively ignoring Joe Rogan because he seems like such a tool, but now I will listen to what he says. I will watch some slow motion also. And I suppose I can go let the local BJJ school kick my ass for a while at some point.

Does anyone know when Frank Mir started doing commentary for WEC? There are some DVDs on Netflix but it doesn't say who the announcers are.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chenz View Post
    Since real fighters in the ring must execute moves at great speed, it would be helpful to see them slowed down and/or broken into steps.
    In addition to actual training, this^^^.

Frame-by-frame (maybe with some decent grappling-related texts on the coffee-table between you and your TV for text explanations and comparisons).

Then, slo-mo, as many times as necessary.

Then full-speed replays.

Your initial questions seems to put all "grappling" into one bag. You are, I'm sure, aware of the different styles of grappling out there...and that they may all be represented in an MMA-ruleset bout. Very basic and glaringly-obvious example: some types of grappling seem to stress control and sub-setup from the bottom; others find "bottoming" insufficiently manly or something.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 9:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I hate to say it, but you'll never really understand what's going on until you train in it. There's so many subtle things that happen in a grappling contest that it requires first-hand knowledge to understand the nuances.
    Agreed. It's really true for almost everything. Someone who's a competitive sprinters could tell you a lot more about what's going on in a runners stride than someone who watches every sprint in every Olympics, and it's only because they have first hand knowledge. Your friends have this from grappling. Watching videos will help, but you'll never fully get it until you do it.

So in the words of Adam Sandler,

JUST DOOOOOIIIIIT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madrigan View Post
    Thanks everybody. I had been actively ignoring Joe Rogan because he seems like such a tool, but now I will listen to what he says.
    Joe actively trains on a very regular basis. His commentary is good because he trains. He is good friends with Eddie Bravo which shows his above average comments on the Rubber Guard, but his game is solid.

Goldberg is the one there for the 'everyman' even though you'd think the roles were reversed sometimes.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 9:19am

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simple heuristic: the guy on top is probably winning provided he is doing any meaningful damage whatsoever.

Followup: Do you understand the concept of passing the guard?

Also, i think joe rogan gives pretty terrible technical commentary. I'm sure he's a decent grappler but honestly he says some pretty stupid **** sometimes especially in regards to how close someone is to passing the guard.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to remember commentators get paid to keep talking. In addition he is right there, his overall view is going to be better than ours.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 11:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wish all the commentating for the UFC could be done by the pride announcers. Japanese was made to be shouted while watching a fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast