Posted On:
    6/29/2009 9:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Georgian Khridoli sword and buckler fencing

http://www.gfmstudio.com/productions/lostcrusaders

Promo. clip for an upcoming documentary about the few remaining Khevsur fencers in the Caucasus mountains. A persistent rumor/legend has it that they are the descendants of a lost Crusader regiment ... anyway, their sword and buckler style (briefly shown in action during this clip) is really interesting in comparison with some of the earliest recorded German fencing material (I.33).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 8:47pm

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes Georgian Martial arts are very interesting but I kind of doubt the crusaders made there way to the Caucasus mountains. I think a more likely explanation is that the techniques might have come from German or Swiss 15th century mercenaries who made there way east (a lot of them ended up working for the tsars) or it could simply be a indigenious form of sword fighting.
    I find unarmed Georgian martial arts to be very interesting and I always wondered if there might be a connection to kampfringen.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 5:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with A.M. Buckler styles that I know are very similar to this. Maybe it can be one of the last Crusades (you know... 7th or 8th- those less important). I woudn't make it any special than any western buckler style (Czech falchion - Český Tesák) uses the same technique. Light, short weapon in combination with buckler.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is Český Tesák still practiced today via a living teacher-student lineage, or has it been revived from books?

There are also Turkish sword and buckler styles that are similar to Georgian sword/buckler fencing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 12:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it is both of the options. It has been relived from books on a basis of sabre fighting from the lineage. It is quite similar to german styles.