Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 1:27am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    On one hand I think it's prety cool. I'll add a personal touch to my rifle, body armor, vehicle grenades whatever.
    I'm not religious but I fine some quotes from the bible bad ass.
    I don't see it as THAT big of a deal, then again I wonder how I would feel about passages from the Koran on my scope. It'd probably piss me off that someone is pedaling their religion on my ****.

In the end it's a stupid move by the US military to have allowed the purchase of these scopes with the bible quotes for non other than the PR ammunition it gives to the media and the members of different religions in the places we try and win hearts and minds. Everything today is about the media public support and money.
    The thing that people are missing is the product wasn't changed just who the primary buyer is. the sighting system had the passage stamped on them before they became common in the military.

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 2:18am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_malk View Post
    The thing that people are missing is the product wasn't changed just who the primary buyer is. the sighting system had the passage stamped on them before they became common in the military.
    True, but the manufacturer shouldn't need to be told to remove something that would make the US Armed Forces appear to be a religious organization. The founder's religiosity is all well and good, but supplying the federal government is another matter entirely.

All of the above is strictly said with regard for the First Amendment Separation of Church and State, and has nothing to do with my firm belief that a "deeply religious man" is one who keeps his religion to himself.

EDIT: The obscurity of the religious connection is irrelevant.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 3:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie Evergreen View Post
    ... the manufacturer shouldn't need to be told to remove something that would make the US Armed Forces appear to be a religious organization.
    I can't say how long those sight systems have been available to US Forces (I would think for a number of years at least) however, the biblical reference apparently has only recently become of media interest since the procurement of those systems for use by United Kingdom Forces.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 3:49pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, but the manufacturer shouldn't need to be told to remove something that would make the US Armed Forces appear to be a religious organization.

All of the above is strictly said with regard for the First Amendment Separation of Church and State
    While I agree that the USA and it's military should appear secular, the phrase "In God We Trust" is on every piece of our printed/minted currency. The same currency we've sent by the pallet load to have it simply disappear due to corruption. I think if they are ok with taking our god laden financial aid they should be able to deal with the "jesus rifle". Apparently it took a brit to figure the code out so obviously americans didn't get the subtle message anyway.

They should have just gone balls out and printed "Tell Jesus I said hi!" on all their scopes.

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 4:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    the phrase "In God We Trust" is on every piece of our printed/minted currency.
    Old **** ups don't make new **** ups any more correct.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    1/23/2010 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Old **** ups don't make new **** ups any more correct.
    They could do what the Supreme Court did when faced with the issue of "In God We Trust" on our currency...call it a "slogan" that has nothing to do with religion.

Posted On:
    1/24/2010 1:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    They could do what the Supreme Court did when faced with the issue of "In God We Trust" on our currency...call it a "slogan" that has nothing to do with religion.
    ...you're trying to make my head explode, aren't you?:new_blowi

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2010 8:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ju-jitsu/cqb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    While full-auto guns are cost-prohibitive (and everything else prohibitive)...sure they could still be used in a crime. Most full autos are big guns (physically speaking)...with the exception of machine pistols, I guess. They are heavy, difficult to conceal...yeah, the list goes on.

We live in a free society....whether it's a crazy fucker with a 30-round magazine spraying into a schoolyard...or a crazy fucker with a 4-ton truck with 30 gallons of gasoline mowing down innocent people---our best, collective defense is to ensure our populace is armed. The government (military or police) will never be able to afford us REAL protection...and it shouldn't be their job to, anyway. We are all collectively responsible for our own safety as well as that of our neighbors and communities. We should start acting like it and take some personal responsibility instead of railing against weapons ownership and whining like sissies.
    Well said...

The only reason fully automatic firearms are so expensive is a result of the Hughes Amendment to the Firearm Owner's Protection Act of 1986.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm...s_Amendment.29

That amendment ended all domestic manufacture of fully automatic firearms for civilian ownership once the law was signed.

Reagan was the President in 1986. The law did too many good things for firearm owners not to pass. The Hughes Amendment was the one black eye in the bill when it was sent to the President. :sad4:

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone know why full auto fire was singled out? Why was it considered so important?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2010 10:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ju-jitsu/cqb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first federal regulation on firearms in the USA was the 1934 NFA Act. This regulated the sale of fully automatic firearms, short barreled rifles and shotguns, and silenced firearms. The momentum seized by the Roosevelt administration to pass this legislation came on the heels of the St. Valentines Day Massacre.

Until the 1934 NFA became law, a law-abiding citizen could go into any hardware store and order a Thompson submachinegun, a Browning BAR, or an SBR .

My grandfather told me stories of seeing Thompson SMG's behind the display glass in some hardware stores when he was a kid.

The 1934 NFA called for a background check by the Dept.of the Treasury and a $200.00 transfer tax stamp per class 3 feature. The tax is the same today. Back in 1934, only the very rich could afford to pay the $200.00 tax, today it is within reach for most buyers.
    Last edited by pobayou; 2/13/2010 10:42am at .
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast