Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 7:44pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Our sparring/exam video

This was taped last week at a belt exam we had. It mixes all levels of experience and while the ones being examined were fresh, we (I'm the one in grey shors) were already tired from the previous class beforehand. Yes, thats my excuse if anyone thinks I suck.
    It was recorded with a cellphone but its watchable:
    YouTube - Exame de Kali

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 7:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do look a little gassed. But props for going through such a tough test. That looks like it HURTS.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 10:42pm

Style: Suntukaran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dig the music a lot.

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 11:15pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that just really thick rattan you're using, or some sort of padding?

So you're in the timeslice from 1:45 to about 4 something?

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 11:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you describe a little bit the way you guys are taught to chamber/maintain the weapon between initiating shots? Some of my criticism might vary depending on what you're trying to do.

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 6:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the biggest good things. You seemed to hit hard and largely to swing where you were aiming.

The bad

- Because you're so still, I found it very telegraphic when you did move. It was extremely easy to pick out the prepatory shoulder motion, and as a consequence you can read where the hit is meant to land. Everyone in your clip does this
    - You move in what Silver called "False time" Basically, you moved the foot(to step into range), then the leg, and hip to generate the power, with the hand last of all. As your opponent, I know the attack is actually coming as soon as you step, and there's a lot of time before your stick actually does anything I need to contend with
    - You have the illusion of angles only. You and your opponent circle, but when the time comes to attack, your toe is always heel-to-toe with the line indicated by their front toe. On the moment of impact, you are always linear, and never does your opponent have to adjust his target because you've changed angles in mid-attack.
    - I don't think your tip-down deflection is completely covering your head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 11:03pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Is that just really thick rattan you're using, or some sort of padding?

So you're in the timeslice from 1:45 to about 4 something?
    Around that.
    00:00 Guy in cammo pants- being tested (fresh), no shoes (helping)
    00:54: balck shorts (being tested) and blue pants (being tested)
    1:45: gray shorts (me, helping) and blue pants still
    02:08: black pants (being tested) and blue pants still
    02:50 me again against black pants
    04:32 no shoes against black uniform (fresh and being tested)
    04:42 jeans (fresh, being tested) vs other black pants (helping)
    05:43 me against black uniform

It's not rattan (too expensive to import), it's a stick made of hard plastic covered with a layer of padding and tape. It stings more than hurts and if it hits skin with the force they were using in the video, it leaves some red marks and sore fingers.

Can you describe a little bit the way you guys are taught to chamber/maintain the weapon between initiating shots? Some of my criticism might vary depending on what you're trying to do.

Let me see, we chamber by pulling the stick unto the back but most of the time the strikes would be shorter in order to keep the weapon in blocking position. I'm not sure if I understand what you meant, sorry.

So the biggest good things. You seemed to hit hard and largely to swing where you were aiming.

The bad

- Because you're so still, I found it very telegraphic when you did move. It was extremely easy to pick out the prepatory shoulder motion, and as a consequence you can read where the hit is meant to land. Everyone in your clip does this
    I agree, I was really tired and it wasn't until I saw the video that I realized how much- dropping the checking hand and the stick, flat footed, body upwards.
    - You move in what Silver called "False time" Basically, you moved the foot(to step into range), then the leg, and hip to generate the power, with the hand last of all. As your opponent, I know the attack is actually coming as soon as you step, and there's a lot of time before your stick actually does anything I need to contend with
    - You have the illusion of angles only. You and your opponent circle, but when the time comes to attack, your toe is always heel-to-toe with the line indicated by their front toe. On the moment of impact, you are always linear, and never does your opponent have to adjust his target because you've changed angles in mid-attack.
    - I don't think your tip-down deflection is completely covering your head.

Thanks for the inputs. Do you have any suggestions on correcting that other than trying not to do that?

Posted On:
    7/04/2009 3:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Make an emphasis on swaying your guard and keeping the weapon tight and in motion while doing tirework/bagwork and shadow sparring, so it can come out during stress.
    2) Spar an opponent where you hit all targets and he's trying to hand-hunt, and try and defeat his hand shots by keeping the weapon arm in motion and keeping it tight between shots so it isn't presented as a target.

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other random thought. Given the prevelance of starting and returning to the backhand low chamber after each strike in many of your club members, practicing and working on the variation of knee attacks Salty Dog uses would probably work pretty well.

Chamber high and let your opponent see the wind up in the forehand chamber, as you deliver let your tip lag slightly to lessen contact, and drift down from the leg.

DO NOT DROP YOUR SHOULDER PREMATURELY. This is a forehand diagnal to the leg, but your body mechanics must sell it as a forehand diagnol to the head. In fact, throw power shots to the head a few times to set up the reaction. Back up with the shot and do NOT drop down elevations into a lunge. Instead, back up and let the tip down for a second, then pull the stick violently from your left hip to your right shoulder load to clear his weapon. If you've got Explosive Escrima, Attacking Blocks, or Combining stick and footwork, you can see Marc Denny demonstrating this fairly well.

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 9:04am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with selfcritical - the lack of low-line shots is something that stood out for me.

As well, I would've liked to see more lateral footwork, and combinations. It felt like there was a very particular cadence going on: shuffle, shuffle, stance up and hit, shuffle, shuffle, stance up and hit ... rather than hit as you shuffle, and use that as your setup for your next couple hits.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast