Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 11:28pm

Style: Judo n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A change in heart

I have recently decided to start training in Judo. Before I was pretty committed in joining the local boxing gym in my area, but I found out that I just was not a striker. I have the utmost respect for the striking arts, but I just can't get into it.

Now grappling is what I like and it took me quite some time to figure that out, dithering over doing striking or grappling. It has to be one, it is just the way it works for me.

Now the point of this thread is to find out how many 'career changes' have you guys made over the course of your MA training?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 12:21am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Started with shotokan karate for many years, reached brown belt, thought there wasnt enough practical striking.

Boxed for a couple of months, liked it a lot, but thought i was missing out on the low kicks

Started Muay Thai, learned kicking, kneeing and elbowing .... discovered i love clinching and always bother people during free practice time to clinch spar.

Plan to cross train in Judo starting September, to integrate O-soto-gari into my inNout head clinch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 3:05am

Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have made a few "career changes" and have just made what i hope to be my last one.

I started out boxing when i was about 16 (I did a few months when i was 12 but that doesnt really count) and did that on and off until i was in my 30's. In between i did two years of Aikido.

When i moved to Ireland I did about 3 years of BJJ/JJJ mix.

Then i did another almost 5 years of BJJ/MMA/Submission grappling.

About a month ago I took up Judo and have now decided to make this my primary focus.

On Tuesday i told the guys in my MMA gym that I will no longer be sparring. I really enjoyed MMA but I am getting to a point where it has stopped being as much fun as it used to be. I still do the grappling and fitness work with them one day a week. It felt wierd refusing to spar.

There are 5 pro fighters and me (who only has two amateur fights) and we all act as sparring partners for each other. As I am getting older (37 last week) I am enjoying being punched in the face (and kicked in the thighs) less and less and these guys are getting better and better whereas I feel I am declining at this stage (I still hold my own due to my size but I can feel this slipping away). I guess 20 years of full contact striking is enough.:sad10:

I always told everyone that we just do this because we love it and if you stop loving it then what are you doing it for. It was time to follow my own advice.

Fortunately i found Judo which is totally awesome!!

PS: I am also going to continue the BJJ and try to work towards my Purple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 11:44am

Style: blunt trauma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would recommend that you train your weak areas. If you're uncomfortable with striking, that to me indicates that you need more training in it; I'd also recommend that someone who's uncomfortable with grappling get over it and learn anyway.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plenty of "career changes" over 3+ decades ...

Started out in WTF TKD in the late '70s, and stuck it out to black belt before becoming disillusioned by the way the art was changing. Explored Aikido, arnis, GR wrestling, shoot wrestling, kickboxing 5-animals kung fu and various other styles into the late '80s by which time I was working as a professional self defense instructor (full contact "padded attacker" scenario training) and also as a professional wrestler.

In the '90s I got interested in non-violent self defense for "duty of care" situations (psych. workers, etc.) and then the burgeoning Western MA field as the Internet ramped up. Seriously involved in Renaissance-era longsword, dagger and unarmed combat reconstruction through the early 2000s, before focusing on Bartitsu (19th c. MMA) and more recently Ryabko Systema.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoylentNinja View Post
    I have recently decided to start training in Judo. Before I was pretty committed in joining the local boxing gym in my area, but I found out that I just was not a striker. I have the utmost respect for the striking arts, but I just can't get into it.

Now grappling is what I like and it took me quite some time to figure that out, dithering over doing striking or grappling. It has to be one, it is just the way it works for me.

Now the point of this thread is to find out how many 'career changes' have you guys made over the course of your MA training?
    Haha, man. I've lost count of how many times I've done this. I've always loved the romantic idea of striking; two men slugging it out, trading blows, Iron men of the ring. The only problem is I totally suck at striking. No skill, whatsoever.

Not to say I'm a grappling prodigy either. I just suck a lot less at grappling than striking. Sadly I've recently realized I'm a grappler who wishes he could strike. It took 6 years worth of dicking around to figure this out, and hopefully I won't forget and try to take up something else.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 12:35pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far, I am in a current career change. I have done TKD for the last 6 and a half years (stopped last year), and just last year found the true joy of aliveness training and judo randori. It has been hard for me to adjust, because I really respect my old TKD teacher, but he is always looking out for me and understands my wanting to try new things.

Hoping for the best in your training,

ZoA.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.