Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 9:16am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayle
    I can only trust that my instructors are honest, fundamentally good people who wouldn't rip me off.
    A lot of people have this attitude towards their instructors, it's the proper attitude to have but it's also the way the frauds are able to succeed.

Just looking at the website for your dojo, looks like a pretty standard commercial karate school that's tossed in some "kenjutsu" to make a few extra bucks. Judging by the photos and descriptions they've got no connection to anything legit. In all likelihood they learned it from books. If you're happy training there, more power to you, but there's much better instruction available in the UK.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 7:12am

Style: Sub Westling, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

[Oxford UK] So how full of it are these guys?

Walking through Oxford on Saturday got handed a flyer for these guys, so exactly how rubbish are these guys? It looks kinda like a happy clappy make it up as we go along but pretend to be "traditional" cult.

http://www.bushido-oxford.com/

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 7:41am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have a look here: Bushido Acadamy - Pete Delane - No BS Martial Arts

Think its pretty much rubbish...

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 7:26am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got one of their flyers at work months ago. The dude who dropped the flyers off was driving a big 4-wheel drive with the club logo slathered all over it.

Just looked like standard gendai-budo mishmash of air-punching karate and aikido with a dollop of corny cinematic zen stirred in.

I can't recall it word for word but I specifically remember the leaflet giving textbook bullshido justifications why they don't compete. I don't think there's an investigation to do because I don't see them making specific claims of being able to beat people in any recognisable form of competition and they're not claiming supernatural powers they could be called out on.

This was what most martial arts classes I came across as a teenager in the late 80s/early 90s were like.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 8:22am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My favourite part has to be the background pic for this page - none of the punchers seems to be very consistent in terms of technique (the guy on the bottom right being the most, uh, unique), but all of the people being "punched" are extremely uniform in the angle that they all lean back, and the angle that they've thrown back their heads.

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 8:34am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't care... the skin-headed chap in the middle who appears in every shot is scaring me. Wherever I go in the room his eyes follow me.

Still, the shot of Delane here...

http://www.bushido-oxford.com/pages/history.html

... where's he's clearly getting ready to wander the streets searching for justice, settles me immediately. No one can pull off a mullet, leather jacket and over the shoulder Gi like that!!

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 10:18am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKovacs View Post
    ... where's he's clearly getting ready to wander the streets searching for justice, settles me immediately. No one can pull off a mullet, leather jacket and over the shoulder Gi like that!!
    Pfft! Shows what you know - I bet David Hasselhoff could!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 10:45am

Style: Sub Westling, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Baby Jesus View Post
    Still, the shot of Delane here...

http://www.bushido-oxford.com/pages/history.html

It does look like he's about to walk the earth like Kane from Kung Fu! You've got to respect that! :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 10:58am

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He picked the right place to market his stuff, Oxford is full of crazies.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing says LARP'ing more than shots of people holding stances in scenic locations
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast