Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 6:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps a tad simplistic but in a way yes!! Some of the street stuff is good but no different than what you can get in JKD or Wing Chun. Likei said, technically they are sound, but what annoyed me towards the end was the fact that people were getting their black belt on a Sunday and then starting to teach on a Monday - seriously, it went on. Dan grades from other styles would come on a reccie and see through this.

As for watching DVD's - no, they were bad at that. How can you watch footage of the gracies, Kano or Master Sken and mock them??? That is what i will be left with - a memory of people mocking what they did not understand.

They seem to make people happy and more power to them - if people want to pay 300 quid a month to learn how to PERFORM a kata with all their spirit, go ahead knock yourself out, just don't bitch about other styles whilst you do it.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 3:17am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry Squiff, I got you mixed up with archangel45, who claimed the B.A.M.A's detractors are just jealous - hence the sarky comment.

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 4:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No dramas - they would say that and you would hear stories of other styles coming to the dojo's for challenge matches and losing heavily. Apparently these included Mike Finn???? If you have any questions on them just send them my way - will answer honestly.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 12:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What sword syllabus do they work from ?

What is their so called sword style named ?

How many kata do they study and what is the emphasis ?

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 7:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I confess I'm not exactly the most qualified person to talk on the subject. I don't have first hand experience of Bushido, I'm only seventeen and I am more concerned with a fulfilling experience than academic distinctions of history and the like. Nonetheless I feel I do have something to add to this discussion considering I am a member of a martial arts group that directly split from the Bushido Academy of Martial Arts under Peter Delane.

I'll try to be unbiased as I can with my personal analysis. The head of our 'style' (which is almost identical to shotokan karate with what feels like a smattering of modern combat) was according to him Peter Delane's right hand man at the time he left Bushido. I don't personally know how much of this is truth and how much anecdote, but I'll relate as accurately as I heard it.

The gist of it is that the head of my style was becoming both increasingly concerned with how BAMA was becoming more and more profit oriented and Peter Delane forming what could only be described as a personality cult round himself. Apparently his brother is still a member of BAMA and they are actually estranged because of it. I sensed a sore spot and didn't actually pursue that avenue of inquiry.

My curiosity was piqued however and I had a look at the promotional website of BAMA. I generally consider myself a relatively sharp person, if not knowledgeable about the technicalities of the martial arts, but all these new styles that I hadn't heard of and the almost obsessive mention of 'Master Chusan' who broke off because of his dissatisfaction with the martial arts as a whole was worrying.

Then there was the being unable to continue in other styles. I personally inquired about it with my instructor who told me that if I had the time and the resources to pursue it I should as a learning and helpful experience, and the idea of cutting yourself off from any other previous arts sounded to me like an attempt to block people who had martial arts experience and the 'loyalty' part sounded to me like trying to force people to stay.

Okay, I'm naturally a cynic and not unbiased, but I'm obviously not the only one with alarm bells ringing over this. In fact I would say all my previous opinions have already been stated by varouis sides.

Honestly, I don't particularly care about legitimacy as long as the techniques are effective. If I was starting a martial art style on the other hand I would have a different viewpoint. You don't piss over an effective tradition because you disagree with it somehow in some weird, nebulous way.

I would be interested in hearing other peoples' opinions.

But I suppose I should hold my own style under the same spotlight as Bushido. I don't know the lineage...does it even have one, if it broke off from Bushido? I know we don't teach all these styles on the Bushido website, but are they effective and at least partially true to its roots? Honestly, I don't know.

When I read about Bushido I did a bit of soul searching to check if I was being duped the same way as all these people who leapt to its defense in other topics. I came to the conclusion of no. The environment there is friendly, I can have heart-to-heart discussions with any instructor if I like, and I can't learn without regularly asking a question every two minutes about how something works.

The pricing is a little steep at 20 pounds for two hours, but it is difficult to judge its worth. In my case it is usually a one-on-one or a small group of two to three, and there is a good group dynamic. Is it too much for what I get? I don't know, maybe. But I know I wouldn't give it up for the world. I call the head of our dojo Gary in private but healthily respect him. Even with half his lcalf torn out in a motorcycle accident he teaches very well, and isn't afraid to admit that he doesn't know something(though I haven't actually seen it happen yet regarding techniques, only Japanese and historical footnotes)

From what I have read Peter Delane is the polar opposite. I don't know what to make of it, and the teaching style obviously works for some people where it wouldn't for me...its just that if people are taken advantage of by a cultish MA with a personality cult at the center and disrespect for other traditions...it doesn't make me angry, but it does make me unsettled.

In any case, I would appreciate the opinions of other people on the subject.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 9:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I am actually a member of the B.A.M.A (Birmingham Branch), I have taken the free introduction class and have paid for one class since (20 for an hour, 40 for a life time membership). I have seldom experience in the martial arts (unless you include 3 lessons of Pro Wrestling and 1 class of Tai Chi), so naturally upon taking the free class I felt that it would be a worthwhile adventure, however I attended the class with my friend who is also a to be Grey Sash in Northern Praying Mantis and a practitioner of Shaolin, and he was sceptical. Consequently I went to my second class, trained with a lovely female instructor (in which I have forgotten her name), and my legs were well stimulated.
    20 is rather steep, however the 1 on 1 training I feel was excellent, I have learnt the first kata, yet in saying that i'm sure the same could be said for the other branches of Karate. I am all for the criticism, however most of these posts were delivered over 3 years ago, and only a fraction of which actually participated in Bushido.
    I do agree with the sense of arrogance, in the introduction class, Wado Ryu was the subject of criticism, when I questioned what is the actual style of karate, I was told Bushido karate, yet it cannot be found anywhere other than their own websites, so I ask to BAMA alumni, what style of karate does 'Bushido Karate' closest resemble, and ultimately is it worth further pursuing?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 10:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading the posts on XBAMA forums, it seems as though Pete Delane is quite some character, I hope this doesn't come across as just trying to defend the art, only because I am in their system, however excluding Delane (I can't envision him attending the dojo in Birmingham), but I would like to hear from posters concerning the integrity of James Seaward, who is the 'Shujin' (as he told me) of the Birmingham branch.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 10:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading the posts on XBAMA forums, it seems as though Pete Delane is quite some character, I hope this doesn't come across as just trying to defend the art, only because I am in their system, however excluding Delane (I can't envision him attending the dojo in Birmingham), but I would like to hear from posters concerning the integrity of James Seaward, who is the 'Shujin' (as he told me) of the Birmingham branch.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 10:32pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayle
    I confess I'm not exactly the most qualified person to talk on the subject. I don't have first hand experience of Bushido, I'm only seventeen and I am more concerned with a fulfilling experience than academic distinctions of history and the like. Nonetheless I feel I do have something to add to this discussion considering I am a member of a martial arts group that directly split from the Bushido Academy of Martial Arts under Peter Delane.

I'll try to be unbiased as I can with my personal analysis. The head of our 'style' (which is almost identical to shotokan karate with what feels like a smattering of modern combat) was according to him Peter Delane's right hand man at the time he left Bushido. I don't personally know how much of this is truth and how much anecdote, but I'll relate as accurately as I heard it.

The gist of it is that the head of my style was becoming both increasingly concerned with how BAMA was becoming more and more profit oriented and Peter Delane forming what could only be described as a personality cult round himself. Apparently his brother is still a member of BAMA and they are actually estranged because of it. I sensed a sore spot and didn't actually pursue that avenue of inquiry.

My curiosity was piqued however and I had a look at the promotional website of BAMA. I generally consider myself a relatively sharp person, if not knowledgeable about the technicalities of the martial arts, but all these new styles that I hadn't heard of and the almost obsessive mention of 'Master Chusan' who broke off because of his dissatisfaction with the martial arts as a whole was worrying.

Then there was the being unable to continue in other styles. I personally inquired about it with my instructor who told me that if I had the time and the resources to pursue it I should as a learning and helpful experience, and the idea of cutting yourself off from any other previous arts sounded to me like an attempt to block people who had martial arts experience and the 'loyalty' part sounded to me like trying to force people to stay.

Okay, I'm naturally a cynic and not unbiased, but I'm obviously not the only one with alarm bells ringing over this. In fact I would say all my previous opinions have already been stated by varouis sides.

Honestly, I don't particularly care about legitimacy as long as the techniques are effective. If I was starting a martial art style on the other hand I would have a different viewpoint. You don't piss over an effective tradition because you disagree with it somehow in some weird, nebulous way.

I would be interested in hearing other peoples' opinions.

But I suppose I should hold my own style under the same spotlight as Bushido. I don't know the lineage...does it even have one, if it broke off from Bushido? I know we don't teach all these styles on the Bushido website, but are they effective and at least partially true to its roots? Honestly, I don't know.

When I read about Bushido I did a bit of soul searching to check if I was being duped the same way as all these people who leapt to its defense in other topics. I came to the conclusion of no. The environment there is friendly, I can have heart-to-heart discussions with any instructor if I like, and I can't learn without regularly asking a question every two minutes about how something works.

The pricing is a little steep at 20 pounds for two hours, but it is difficult to judge its worth. In my case it is usually a one-on-one or a small group of two to three, and there is a good group dynamic. Is it too much for what I get? I don't know, maybe. But I know I wouldn't give it up for the world. I call the head of our dojo Gary in private but healthily respect him. Even with half his lcalf torn out in a motorcycle accident he teaches very well, and isn't afraid to admit that he doesn't know something(though I haven't actually seen it happen yet regarding techniques, only Japanese and historical footnotes)

From what I have read Peter Delane is the polar opposite. I don't know what to make of it, and the teaching style obviously works for some people where it wouldn't for me...its just that if people are taken advantage of by a cultish MA with a personality cult at the center and disrespect for other traditions...it doesn't make me angry, but it does make me unsettled.

In any case, I would appreciate the opinions of other people on the subject.
    Bully for you Sayle!

You are one well written 17 year old who is welcome here on BS.

Thank you for your concise and obviously honest post.

We need more of your type here as you provide balance to the regular "summer break" group of teenage posters,

Joe

Posted On:
    6/28/2008 3:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that compliment just made my day! Heh, I'm actually quite cheerful now. But personal thanks aside I think the real question is that besides the personality cult surrounding 'Master Chusan' and the styles lacking any lineage is it effective and is the general teaching environment friendly? If it is I suppose somebody who can look past the cultishness and is already in BAMA might as well stay.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast