Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 1:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kung Fu school in Savannah, Georgia

The Temple of Martial arts is a kung fu school located in Savannah, GA. This school is the only kung fu school in Savannah. The style of kung fu is Ving Tsun under the Ip Man linage. The school is a traditional "closed school" which means it is not commercialized. Potential students are invited to participate in a free class to determine if Ving Tsun is right for them.

The Temple of Martial Arts is no "belt factory" and uses the traditional Chinese sash system. Once a student has joined he or she is welcome with open arms by the Sifu and other students. All of the students are considered kung fu brothers and sisters.The class size is kept fairly small so that the Sifu can observe ALL the students during the entire duration of the class.

I personally have been a student at "The Temple" as us students call it for six months and have learned more in that six months than I did in other styles. Wing Chun is direct and straight forward and is based on center line theory and the economy of motion. Wing Chun does NOT use brute force to subdue an attacker, it rather uses the attackers brute force against themselves.

The bottom line is that everyone who is interested in martial arts in Savannah should really consider this school due to the fact that anyone can defend themselves using Wing Chun.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 4:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please reconsider your ratings, according to the guidelines for this forum. Until all those 10s are either backed up or removed, this review doesn't really pass muster.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 4:21pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I've never seen a Chun school with golden gloves champions teaching before...

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 4:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I would like to know more about the Aliveness, Equipment, and Striking ratings... Please describe a typical class, please describe the gym/dojo and the equipment available, and please let us know what boxing, kickboxing, sanshou, or other championships your instructor has won (verifiable please) to warrant scores of this extreme nature.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 4:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Example #639845198234 of why "review the school you attend!" is a non-starter.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 7:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to begin by breaking down why the school gets a lot of 10 in ratings. First off, the kwoon's aliveness. This school and it's Sifu try to be active in the community. Even though the kwoon is a "closed door school" The Sifu is always helping out with youth programs outside of class. The Sifu takes his time with each student during class to make sure structure is correct and that everyone is able to "touch hands" with the instructor.

The school uses a wide variety of equipment. There is not much, but EVERYTHING you need to become a serious Ving Tsun practitioner. The school has a wooden dummy which is introduced when a student has achieved a certain level. There are conditioning punching pads or "wall pads" which are filled with sand and are used for iron palm and iron fist training. Along with the iron fist training the students use Dit Da Jow, which is a formula that temporary relieves bruising.

The school does teach Ving Tsun weapons like the butterfly swards and the long pole, again when the student has reached the appropriate level. The bow staff, three sectional staff, nunchucks, escrima sticks and Tai Chi sward are also taught. A typical class involves students arriving about 10 minutes early and practicing chi sao. The students then line up (not according to rank) and bow in. The Sifu chooses an seasoned student to lead the class through warm up exercise which include: basic stretching, cat push up's, hand fist push up's (basically punching the ground as you come down) and wrist push up's (doing push up's on your wrist). To wrap up exercising the Sifu usually chooses between 50 Hindu squats, crane for 2 minutes on each leg or horse stance for 5 minutes.

The class is then let by the Sifu to perform Sil Lum Tao. New Students follow along the first time, then the Sifu will go and walk them through the form to a certain point. The class then begins to work on redirecting techniques using bong sao's, tong sao's, pok's perries...etc. Student's are then partnered up with each other to do drills such as chi sao, lop sao, tong da and several others. During these drills the Sifu will go around and "touch hands" with everyone and help the beginning students. The Sifu will then have the students work on Situations. That is basically the whole class besides the Sifu talking to all the students about questions or whatever. The classes are an hour, but can go over and usually do.

Please note that this school does not teach competition fighting!!! This is not a school for bull headed quick tempered people wanting to train for the UFC circuit! This school will not accept students with the wrong attitude! The Sifu has had 32 years of Ving Tsun experience and close to 20 years of Tai Chi experience!!! The website is posted here. Just check it out for yourself. If you have any questions regarding the Sifu, then contact him on the schools website blog.

I hope this answers a lot of questions on this forum. All of us on this site have a common interest we are just taking different paths to get to our destination. One style is no better than the other, it's all about how much time and energy the practitioner of an art puts into their art.

Best of luck to everyone!

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Does not teach competition fighting" is shorthand for "you will not be able to to prevail against anyone who actually trains to fight".

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fix your ratings or your entire review will be treated as spam. You have 1 day.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:13pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The bottom line is that everyone who is interested in martial arts in Savannah should really consider this school due to the fact that anyone can defend themselves using Wing Chun."

This made me laugh...

" First off, the kwoon's aliveness. This school and it's Sifu try to be active in the community."

...and this made me laugh even harder, then I promptly did a facepalm. Note I also like the use of "sward", and not "sword".

Your definition is not the accepted term for what was meant by this website's use of it. Aliveness here means whether or not your school can properly use your techniques in actual combat, sport, street, or otherwise any realistic training. This does not include no sparring, kata, forms, one-steps, etc. Without sparring, your score for aliveness can not be higher than a 2.

Now go drown yourself in a pool of fail.

Have a nice day,

ZoA.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 11:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, It's obvious that I we have gotten off on the wrong foot! I now realize that this site is based on "competition style" and street fighting. I thought I made the schools description clear, but I guess not. The "kwoon" which is means training hall in Chinese does NOT center itself around forms! Yes, we do have forms and if anyone does a little research on Ving Tsun (Wing Chun) you will understand that there are three "empty hand" forms and three weapon forms. In which ALL of these forms are combative forms!!! Ving Tsun does not involve fancy kicks and fake blocks that cannot be applied to a real fight. In every class we work on situations and we do this with NO sparring gear!

Maybe I did rate the school too high on this site. My main goal was to promote what I know is a great martial art and a school that shows great discipline. I did not come here to make anyone angry, so I will gladly drop the rating since it is based on different ideas of training. I hope everyone here finds great joy and peace with their art like I have.

God bless!
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast