Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 1:47pm

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Self defense for women, a few concerns

Hi there!

Since a was a fan of martial arts since I was little, and having trained in boxing for 2 years in high school, I was pretty confident that I did not need women self defense lessons and such. But out of curiosity I asked a friend who did study self defense for women at college and I was pretty disapointed with the stuff she came up with. Overall, it's pretty much the same old things they teach in some karate and kung fu classes, mainly how to defend against a knife, a choke, a hold etc but the problem is that everything is done is super slow motion without any sense of realism. They also teach purse blows and umbrella thrusts to the throat, which I honestly think are pretty ridiculous. My main concern is that those course create a false sense of confidence and when a guy jumps on you to sexually assaults you it's to late to realize that you can't defend yourself at all.

I did the same trick bruce lee used to do in karate champioship, I said to my friend what she would do if someone punched her, and she said she would block it, and then do this and that and that in a few seconds the assaillant would be out cold. Then I told her to try to block one of my punch, and I threw about a dozen JKD lead punch in front of her face and of course she couldn't see anything coming even by knowing where and which blow I'd be using.

I don't believe in such a thing as women self defence, I think we are able to do just as good as males and learn to defend ourselves with real fighting methods such as boxing, muay thai, JKD, brazilian jiu jitsu etc and we don't need a diluted, slow and unrealistic form of self defence made especially for us. Get real girls!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 2:30pm

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Osaka peach, and welcome to Bullshido. I haven't been in a university community in many years, but I can see your point that a few hours spent at a wimmyns' self-defense seminar is no substitute for solid martial arts training. Use the search function and lurk a bit and you no doubt will find some previous threads on this topic that will be of interest to you.

Usually n00bs do not to begin a thread in MABS. However if you have some particular examples of poor and unrealistic techniques being taught, outlandish claims by self-defense instructors, etc. this thread may have some potential. Please read the stickies in MABS so you have a better idea of the expectations for this forum

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 2:41pm

Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    May I ask what the purpose of this post is? Not to give you a bad response, but why not just ask your friend to just study BJJ or Muay Thai? If she doesn't listen then it's no different from asking someone who does one of the insane MA's (No touch knockouts, etc.) to switch paths. If they listen; swell. If they dont; who cares? You also need to be realistic about your claim of "I think we are able to do just as good as males..." Yeah i agree with just picking up one of the MA's, but the mentality that a women and a man are physically the same is not a wise way to go about a fight. Men are stronger than women on average, Fact. I guess the correct way to say it would be, men have more muscle on average because they produce way more testosterone. Where am I going with this? When a guy wrestles/box another guy, in his head if he sees that the other guy is bigger - he adjusts his strategy according to the situation. Forget about the judo throw you learned for a sec, because this guy knows what hes doing. If you mess-up, he's going to end up on top of you. We are assuming they have the same skill. So if a man who is stronger than a woman adjusts his game, why should a women stick her chest out and say 'I'm just like you! I'll handle you!". My theory is that the women should focus on a stronger guard/better footwork etc. to deal with the fact the guy is stronger. This is the way the MA should be adjusted for women. Some facets should be reinforced because a wrestler will take you down, but if you prepared a good guard, instead of trying to beat a man who wrestled since he was 12 at his own game, you will win. I didn't read this as a Feminist post or anything just giving my opinion on how certain aspects of a martial art must be reinforced to the different bodies of the practitioners.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 2:41pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Usually, troll jobs disguised as n00bs aren't this obvious. Or are they?
    Last edited by BadUglyMagic; 10/09/2009 2:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 2:57pm

Style: None, but looking.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadUglyMagic View Post
    Usually, troll jobs disguised as n00bs aren't this obvious. Or are they?
    Is this a troll?

This is not a troll.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the purpose of the thread is obviously to warn people that women self defense won't save you from a sexual assault. And I think that's a realisation one must make in order to avoid being overconfident and start walking alone at 2 am in a park. And of course as most people in delusion, she won't believe me over her teacher.

of course I meant that we are just as able as males to take lessons in real fighting methods, I did not mean that females are as strong as males. And women self defense teaches you that if a guy comes at you with a knife you just grab his arm and kick him where it hurts, how realistic is that? what are the chances that the guy will be immobilized by your wrist grab? To be honest if I would be attacked by a man I would first think of escaping at all cost, I would not try to prove anything, I would not try to prove that a woman with fighting experience could defeat an assaillant; I would just think about the possibility of rape and I would flee as fast as I can and scream at the top of my lungs. And that is because I KNOW HOW FIGTHING REALLY HAPPENS AND WORKS. If anything, learning real fighting methods taught me that when a man wants to take you down, he probably will without much trouble, he won't come at you with is legs spread apart and his crotch exposed.

My point is that women who really believe in this self defense stuff may have a reaction of overconfidence. If running away is impossible, then I would fight and hope for the best. It's all a matter of being aware of the real intricacies of assaults and fighting, not being deluded.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 3:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach View Post
    Well the purpose of the thread is obviously to warn people that women self defense won't save you from a sexual assault. And I think that's a realisation one must make in order to avoid being overconfident and start walking alone at 2 am in a park. And of course as most people in delusion, she won't believe me over her teacher.

of course I meant that we are just as able as males to take lessons in real fighting methods, I did not mean that females are as strong as males. And women self defense teaches you that if a guy comes at you with a knife you just grab his arm and kick him where it hurts, how realistic is that? what are the chances that the guy will be immobilized by your wrist grab? To be honest if I would be attacked by a man I would first think of escaping at all cost, I would not try to prove anything, I would not try to prove that a woman with fighting experience could defeat an assaillant; I would just think about the possibility of rape and I would flee as fast as I can and scream at the top of my lungs. And that is because I KNOW HOW FIGTHING REALLY HAPPENS AND WORKS. If anything, learning real fighting methods taught me that when a man wants to take you down, he probably will without much trouble, he won't come at you with is legs spread apart and his crotch exposed.

My point is that women who really believe in this self defense stuff may have a reaction of overconfidence. If running away is impossible, then I would fight and hope for the best. It's all a matter of being aware of the real intricacies of assaults and fighting, not being deluded.
    "Don't walk The Streets thinking that you can kick the arse of everyone you encounter", "avoid going to bad areas alone", "don't bring your fists to a knife/gun fight" and "attempt to fight against violent, potentially deranged people only as a last resort should escape be impossible" *should* be common sense rules for everyone, IMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course it should be common sense, but it clearly isn't. One of my co-worker is a karate blue belt and she once told me about an ex-worker who was very hot-tempered and and threatening, so much that even the boss was afraid to fire him. She said that on one occasion he began shouting and punching the wall and that even then she kept her cool. She simply called for the boss and the guy was finally fired. The weird thing is that when I asked her how she could be so calm in such a situation, she said that if he would have tried to attack her, she simply would have put her fingers in his nose to take him down... there's girls out there deluded beyond belief. And of course she won't believe boxing or anything else can work for real against a finger in the nose attack... And this post helps me feel relieved that there are people who knows what reality is, and thank God I found out of this site's existence. I just hope more and more people in martial art will finally get of their delusions, and this site is the perfect opportunity for this. Can you stop for a moment, and think what would have happened if this girl would have encountered a assailant on the street at night?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 4:13pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we work self defense sceneraios but we do them "alive". If i end up tackling/shooting on a woman in the dojo, she will most likely pull guard and the start to claw the living **** out of my face while using her feet on my hips to push me away so she can get up and run. None of the"drive his nose into his brain" crap. If the rapist attacks you, blind him...the groin is good but may take a few secs to register...the eyes are immediate. We arent training for sport in these scenarios so no triangles, armbars, elbows to the head.....straight mad cat technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 4:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mad cat attacks, as you call them, can certainly be effective to a certain extent :) But when my brother and I spar (he is a shotokan karate stylist) we sometimes work on the sexual assault scenario, and unfortunately if he can get into a position where his is over me and holding my hands to the ground, I just can't do anything. I've thought about headbutting but I can't get enough power from this position, and since my hands are immobilized to the ground (I can't shake him off, he's just too strong) I can't claw at his face either. That's why I'm considering BJJ training since it would probably teach me how to maneuver on the ground against a stronger person, not really for the purpose of applying a submission hold but above all to learn how to simply get out of such a situation, get up on my feet and run for it.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast