Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 2:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Low-Cost Dietary Plan?

I recently joined an MMA gym in my city, and I'm planning on going to classes 3 days a week, totaling about 5 hours a week. I'm running almost every day, and I'm trying to incorporate strength training into my weekly schedule. I seem to be on track to get into pretty good shape, but food has become my biggest bottleneck. I'm long, lanky, and I have a very high metabolism, and I've read that athletes of my body type need to consume around 3-4k calories a day, as well as 150-200 grams of protein. I also know that the ideal athletic eating schedule is 6 times a day. I'm also a college student, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to afford all of this food that I'll need to eat!

I've seen lots of great diets, both here and elsewhere, but most of them are either (a) expensive, or (b) require a lot of time for preparation and planning. Essentially, what I need are some relatively cheap, easy foods that I can buy in bulk and partition throughout the day. I'm not too picky, but I'm not a chef, and the simpler the better. I'm not a competitive athlete, and I'm already in reasonable shape, so I'm not too worried about eating a scientifically ideal diet... if I can shovel truckloads of it into my mouth without breaking the bank, I'm happy :) Examples of what I'm eating right now:

-Tuna salad (with eggs)
    -Lot of peanut butter
    -Trail mix (heavy on almonds)

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys can throw my way!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 4:35pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    eggs and milk are both cheap
    two harboild egg whites, a piece of fruit, and a bottle of milk is something you can get most of the time. If you're serious about this, invest in a one of those mini-cooler lunch pails - this type of stuff, you want to bring it from home to keep costs down.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 6:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    milk
    If you're not lactose intolerant or carb-restricted, this is really all you need to know. Grab yourself a gallon and drink up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 6:59am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eating just the whites is for pussies. There's significant nutrients in the yolk you're missing out on, too.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a big fan of scrambled egg burrito's after a workout. Scramble 3-4 eggs, depending how hungry you are, dice up some onion and green peppers and fry them for a few minutes before adding the egg, mix some kind of cheese with the eggs, a small amount of diced spinach, plus either chives and/or garlic, cook it up then roll it into 2-3 tortilla shells, depending on the size. I usually have ketchup on the tortilla, but salsa works good to, and lately I've been using some sweet-chili sauce.

Different colour peppers are good for variety, not to mention hot peppers if you are so inclined. Everything in it is cheap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 2:52am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best thing I can recommend is cycle your diet. If you're trying to save money, and you're buying the same stuff you might end up deficient in certain nutrients, so whatever you're eating for some purpose (ie, protein) don't eat the same thing every day week in and week out. Get a carton of eggs, finish it off, then get a bunch of cans of tuna when they're on sale, etc.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 7:42am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget to buy in bulk, defer to organic where (cheaply possible), and always check out your local farmer's market for more nutritious and often cheaper food.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 8:32am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    eggs and milk are both cheap
    Really? What country are you shopping in? That **** is getting expensive. I am literally forced to buy less of these than I otherwise would since the prices went up last year.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 11:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Really? What country are you shopping in? That **** is getting expensive. I am literally forced to buy less of these than I otherwise would since the prices went up last year.
    Last time I did the math, milk (in Canada) was the cheapest source of protein available on a dollars-per-gram basis. That's not counting the bonus carbohydrates and (optionally) fat.

Eggs, on the other hand, were always significantly more expensive.

Caveat: I didn't include the recession whey deal on TrueProtein.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.