Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 9:50am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by raylawley View Post
    Anyone else noticed this guy's name is really close to "Flame Walker?"
    I couldn't get past the BS about working/teaching Spec Ops folks. That's always a RED FLAG for me.

But now that you mention it, it is close......

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 9:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you check out his first post in the thread he lists his email so he may not a 'Flame' job.

Is there anyway to confirm he was an SOG?

Posted On:
    8/15/2009 7:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Won Hop Loong Chuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good afternoon,
    I have had the pleasure of training with Flane Walker for the past few decades and have grown to know and trust him. I am aware of his military service during the Vietnam era. Mr. Walker has never indicated he taught SOG. He was affiliated with them and I have met several retired members who have verified through discussions.

I am the Naval Officer Mr. Walker mentioned in his post. Allow me to take this opportunity to clarify a few statements. I currently live in Virginia Beach and teach individuals after hours. I have through the past decade taught a Martial Arts Club at the Naval Academy, and continue to travel up on a few weekends a month to teach. Several students have graduated and gone on to fulfill honorable careers in the Navy and Marine Corps. They in turn have taught fellow service members. However, I have had no official relationship as a martial arts instructor with the Navy, Marine Corps, and specifically the Navy SEALS. I hold the SEALS in the highest of esteem, and they have training programs specifically designed for their needs that DO NOT include Mr. Walker's specific art.

A point to make: Most military services can not devote the time to specifically train in a traditional or advanced martial art. At best they can devote a few hours a week on top of their already burdened training schedules, and considering a traditional art takes years to obtain an adequate level of proficiency, it is not practical for the military to devote the time as a whole. It is a life style, not a sport. Individuals can take the time to train on their own outside their military schedule, and on many occasion I have trained individuals (and continue to) from various branches of service. I currently have students who are members of the Navy and Marine Corps.

That being the case, I am aware of individuals who have trained in Mr. Walker's art who were members of the termed elite forces. Some liked the art, others did not find it to their fancy. As in all art, it is up to the individual as to whether they fit the art, and whether they put the time into training. Again, there has never been an official relationship between Mr. Walker and the Navy SEALS, nor does Mr. Walker claim this. If his post was misunderstood or if the words were conveyed inaccurately, please contact either myself or Mr. Walker and we will be happy to discuss with you. Mr. Walker is aware that I am posting this response.

Addressing Mr. Walker's relationship with Bruce Lee, Mr. Walker has mentioned on several occasions his respect for Bruce. In his own words, Bruce was a savant at picking up concepts and being able to replicate them in one or two tries when it came to martial arts. In addition, during the time frame that they knew one another, Bruce met and trained with many martial artists to include Jhoon Rhee, Ed Parker, Tiger Kim, George Dillman and others. During that time frame, many of them knew one another and were acquaintances and/or friends. So I would ask that you not dismiss Mr. Walker's claims. At the time Bruce Lee was not famous nor a movie star. He was just another 30 year old Martial Artist, good beyond the average, and he was hanging out with the others his age. Mr. Walker trained under an Asian gentleman who Bruce visited and trained with for a short period of time. During this time, Mr. Walker and Bruce trained in the same house. Bruce, like all good martial artists, kept his mind open to learning. The shame of the matter was that Bruce died before he could truly recognize his full potential, and he will always be remembered by his standing in the movies. Arguably he could have done so much more (although he had a huge impact on most martial artists and martial athletes of today as it were).

Have a Great Navy day,

Respectfully,
    Anthony M. Clark

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/15/2009 9:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's some video proof that strikes to the back of the head do not kill, this is Jeff Neal he is a BJJ black belt and he is very much alive, look at 30 seconds, no matter how many times you duck punch him nothing happens (I have no clue whats with their belts)

YouTube - Jeff Neal MMA Match 2

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2009 4:44am

Style: Legalese

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandanus View Post
    If you check out his first post in the thread he lists his email so he may not a 'Flame' job.

Is there anyway to confirm he was an SOG?
    I thought of the Flame Walker thing too. I suspect "Flane Walker" may be a pseudonym.

For SOG checks, either insider info from the military or try SOCNET. Many of the members are been-there-done-that, and have the same attitude against posers as Bullshido does against MA frauds.

Posted On:
    8/16/2009 5:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good morning,

His name is Flane Walker, not Flame. Flane is Nordic meaning first son (if my translation is correct). It was passed to him from his father.

The "flame" came from a previous posting above and I believe it was intended as a jab. Flane is not a pseudonym.

Respectfully,
    Anthony M. Clark

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2009 9:50am

Style: MMA,JJ,Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I just hate about his claim is how he claims that "sports" MA are not as effective on the street because they follow a set of rules.

Do you honestly believe that if I get attacked in the street I'm gonna follow the same rules I'd follow on the street? Wait for a referree to get the guy out of my face if he's winning or tap when he's having me in submission?

Posted On:
    8/16/2009 11:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good morning again,

I can understand your frustration when you read a claim that may not reflect accurately the abilities of athletes and artists of various arts. I have felt it and Flane Walker has felt it regarding his own art. Flane did specifically mention sport MMA and his words indicated the views that have been expressed to him by friends who have fought and train in MMA. I also re-read his post and believe he wasn’t saying to take your preconceived notions about MMA, but your pre-conceived notions of Traditional Martial Arts and throw them out the window. He did indicate that Sport MMA had rules that limit what you use in the ring, and as a result, many fighters limit what they train in. As I have fondly heard and stated myself, “Fight like you train, train like you fight.” But that does not denigrate the potency of any well trained and in shape MMA athlete.

An athlete, trained in MMA (especially the incredible fighters evolving today) could be a force to be reckoned with regardless of whether the altercation occurred in a ring or in a bar. Independent of my years of training, I would prefer not to meet any of the current MMA fighters down a dark alley; although in the ring it might be a great learning experience for me. I see them as in shape and trained athletes with impressive fighting skills.

Mr. Walker's responses have come from years of suffering what you currently feel, so you have something in common with him. Having his art derided by a younger generation, many of who have never actually fought (ring or otherwise). They may have attended a few courses, gotten dirty on the mat learning the guard and immediately declared the ineffectiveness of traditional training.

A traditional style becomes more effective when practiced properly. It can take years to become proficient, and decades to Master. But it is the art I will practice until I am old and hopefully I will continue to improve. Helio Gracie was more skilled than his sons even into his advanced age when his muscles were declining in comparison.

I hope you will take a moment and reflect upon what was posted from Flane Walker taken from a separate forum. Although I am not aware of the entire discussion thread this came from, I can assure you that Flane has a degree of respect for the evolving athletes of the MMA community that did not convey in his post. And his last line was overlooked I believe. I don’t believe his intention was to be disrespectful, but to support his own art in a candid fashion. Sometimes this can come off from any of us as derogatory.

I took a moment and re-read the posts above, and realized several members honed in on the reference to Air Force Commandos. I will apologize, since I am Navy-centric and most of my experience with Air Force has been either in Joint Commands or on their incredible Golf Courses; but I was under the impression that the Air Force Sixth Special Operations Command were known as Air Commandos. I am not aware of any who have trained in the art; however, I am not aware of every student who has passed through his doors in the past 40-plus years. In addition, his terms and references are from his time in the military (again some 40 years ago) and I believe there were units (now defunct) who were referred to as Commandos. I would welcome any members of the Air Force service correcting me on the legitimacy of Commandos used in reference to AFSOC members. Any references to members of any military, again, were in reference to individuals and not a military faction as a whole. Again, I iterate that my teaching a Club at the Naval Academy is a club function with a handful of dedicated students. In the same vein, many students who may have been Military and even Special Forces have trained as individuals in the art, not as representatives for their service.

As for Shaolinkungpao, I note you are in Arlington, VA. It appears you and I are quite local then, as I am currently in DC this weekend. I realize your comments were meant to be cheeky and fun; however, I would ask you not to refer to Flane or anyone as a moron, and please don’t make comments about the Naval Academy with limited knowledge upon which to base them. I am not asking for a flame war of words, I am requesting common courtesy.

My intention isn’t to cause rift but to answer questions and hopefully clarify Flane’s original intent in his statements, no matter how muddied they may have become or how they may have been originally posted. If you have specific questions, I will respond to them. I see Martial Arts much like religion: Everyone has their preferred choice, and most people assume others are wrong in their preferred views. We should take a page from the current athletes who cross-train and realize there is so much more to learn if we remain open to what is beyond our current experience.

Thank you and have a great Navy day,
    Anthony

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/16/2009 12:44pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinKungPao View Post
    EDIT: Wait, his system is taught at the Naval Academy? Since when did they start teaching Middies how to fight without pushing buttons?
    Considering I had a female Mid teep me in the stomach last night...
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 8/16/2009 12:49pm at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast